Talk

Advanced search

Can I accessorise this dress for a funeral?

(17 Posts)
ItsAll Thu 23-Jul-15 07:28:06

Navy dress

I thought it would be fine, but now I'm not so sure. Anyway, I was wondering about a black blazer, black flats, and a dark grey cross body bag. I think I've got this so wrong though confused.

Gem124 Thu 23-Jul-15 09:33:19

I really don't think that's appropriate for a funeral, sorry. It is a beautiful dress though.

RepeatAdNauseum Thu 23-Jul-15 09:35:36

It's a bit Summery, I think. It looks very casual for a funeral.

You might get away with it depending on your relationship to the deceased and their family, but if you are anything but a loose acquaintance, and you could inadvertently offend them. Or just feel really out of place all day, which might be worse!

ItsAll Thu 23-Jul-15 09:42:20

Oh no, thanks both.

Redglitter Thu 23-Jul-15 09:44:47

I can't see anything wrong with it. I know at my dad's funeral I wouldn't have cared if people came in their pyjamas. The important thing is you're going smile

Bunbaker Thu 23-Jul-15 09:46:06

I wouldn't judge you for what you were wearing. I would just be pleased that you bothered to turn up to support the deceased. But that is just my opinion.

answersonapostcardplease Thu 23-Jul-15 09:50:34

I think its fine without the scarf. Pair of smart shoes, jacket.

answersonapostcardplease Thu 23-Jul-15 09:53:38

I was supposed to go to a funeral before xmas but due to train strikes couldn't make it. I couldn't afford a new outfit so was going to wear a ltb that normally wear at night with flat shoes.

tabulahrasa Thu 23-Jul-15 09:58:59

On the model with the scarf it looks way too casual... By itself it doesn't.

So I think it might depend how it looks on you tbh.

SanityClause Thu 23-Jul-15 10:07:51

It's fine, but I would wear opaques, if it's a bit short on you.

Unless otherwise specified, it's usual to wear sober coloured and modest clothing to a funeral. There's no need to wear all black, and in fact, I've seen lots of women wear really inappropriate dresses to funerals, because they were black (the dresses, not the women).

MehsMum Thu 23-Jul-15 10:14:23

I think it depends on the funeral. I went to a v posh upper middle class one last year and expected it to involve well-cut jackets and gleaming footwear. I dressed accordingly and fitted right in. Most funerals round here, though, just involve looking as if you have made a bit of an effort to wear sober clothes, brush your hair, and clean your shoes. That blue dress would look fine at a funeral like that.

museumum Thu 23-Jul-15 10:17:36

I think it's fine with a jacket and sensible height shoes. If it's more than a couple of cm above your knees and the weather is less than 20deg I'd wear opaqueness too.

Bubblesinthesummer Thu 23-Jul-15 10:19:49

I think with a blazer, smart shoes and tights it would be fine.

ItsAll Thu 23-Jul-15 12:15:02

I think that the dress does look smart in the second picture - I think it can just be dressed up or down.

I'm going to try it on with everything else, then decide.

Flingmoo Thu 23-Jul-15 12:19:12

It only looks casual because of the scarf and the model's general appearance! It's fine for a funeral. I'd wear black tights and smart, dark jacket/cardi with it.

Getuhda348 Thu 23-Jul-15 16:09:21

I think it would be fine with a black blazer and black tights.

Postchildrenpregranny Thu 23-Jul-15 18:43:22

Maybe not if you are close family ,but with opaque tights and a jacket it will be fine .I wore a purple jacket with black trousers to a neighbours funeral in Feb as my 'best' winter cost is teal coloured and I thought it was bit bright .Too cold to go coatless .Said neighbour wouldn't have given a toss as long as I looked 'smart' ( we shared a love of clothes) but I didn't want to offend anyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now