Talk

Advanced search

For the love of God, help me

(53 Posts)
GotNoStringsToHoldMeDown Wed 22-Jul-15 17:44:57

I've posted here before, a while ago, asking for advice. Loads of people posted and tried to help. But I guess I was being too fussy at the time, and now I can't find the thread.

I am a guest at a wedding being held in Italy in august. It's an evening ceremony but I think it'll still be hot.

I am 5.2 and an hourglass size 14. I have brown hair and brown eyes. I have olive skin (which has tanned so I guess I might be a deeper shade now).

I hate my legs so would need either midi or maxi. I don't want skirt and top, only a dress.

I love large floral print but it's what I always wear and am thinking a plain dress might be better.

I have scoured the shops and online. Have tried on loads and loads of dresses and I just can't find the right one.

Please please help me. I'll try not to be so fussy this time. blush

GotNoStringsToHoldMeDown Wed 22-Jul-15 17:49:19

Should add I have ample bust so can't wear strapless. Would also rather not have a high neck as it tends to make me look matronly!

GotNoStringsToHoldMeDown Wed 22-Jul-15 17:54:58

Oh, my budget is 150 at very most, obviously would love something for 50 but I'm so desperate now I'm willing to go much more smile

MakeItACider Wed 22-Jul-15 18:01:57

Have you looked at Mint Velvet? they have a sale on right now

KTlee Wed 22-Jul-15 18:05:32

What about this, it is higher necked but looks lovely and is a maxi so will cover your legs, it has a lovely print and the black in the middle will highlight your waist

I think the colouring would suit olive skin too

It is top of the budget though, sorry

www.frenchconnection.com/product/woman+Collections+dresses/71EET/Botanical+Tropical+Trip+Maxi+Dress.htm

Thoughts?

GotNoStringsToHoldMeDown Wed 22-Jul-15 18:05:48

Thanks cider will look

Also wanted to say I like dresses to the knee or just above.

GotNoStringsToHoldMeDown Wed 22-Jul-15 18:08:31

KTlee it's a lovely dress but wouldn't suit my figure, I'd look like a sack of potatoes confused

I need something that is more fitted around the bust area and pinched in at the waist

Greengardenpixie Wed 22-Jul-15 18:11:05

this is beautiful imo

www.whitestuff.com/womens/print-rooms/red-blank-canvas-dress/

GotNoStringsToHoldMeDown Wed 22-Jul-15 18:12:35

Love that white stuff dress, the pattern is beautiful. I would buy that in an instant for a different occasion...

GotNoStringsToHoldMeDown Wed 22-Jul-15 18:13:29

Can't see anything I like (that isn't white!) on Mint Velvet..

Greengardenpixie Wed 22-Jul-15 18:13:36

www.whitestuff.com/womens/dresses/blue-cut-about-dress/

if its out of stock try the shop or house of fraser of john lewis

GotNoStringsToHoldMeDown Wed 22-Jul-15 18:17:52

Green, again a beautiful dress. But something I would wear on a less special occasion. The dress itself is slightly too baggy and would make me look frumpy I think.

God I'm being really fussy again.

I have such a weird figure, it's hard to dress. I went to a personal shopper the other week and she couldn't work it out. She said I had 2 body shapes. In the end she settled for a "pear with boobs" grin

Greengardenpixie Wed 22-Jul-15 18:19:34

This is lovely:

www.next.co.uk/g2x2018s4

Try next going out and occasion wear and look at their label things

Greengardenpixie Wed 22-Jul-15 18:19:45

www.next.co.uk/women/going-out/bespoke/1

Greengardenpixie Wed 22-Jul-15 18:20:47

Their label things:

www.next.co.uk/shop/editorial-label/gender-women-category-dresses

cece Wed 22-Jul-15 18:24:16

Lacey

Pretty

Pink. Delicate

A few suggestions that I might choose. I am busty too although a little taller than you.

GotNoStringsToHoldMeDown Wed 22-Jul-15 18:30:23

Cece love the lacey. Might have to go try it on for size
Also liked this, from the Next link, but it's actually monsoon. What do you think?

Greengardenpixie Wed 22-Jul-15 18:32:07

Oh thats goreous gotno

BikeRunSki Wed 22-Jul-15 18:32:36

[http://www.tigermilly.com/p-Lindy_Bop_50s_Myrtle_Dress_Midnight_Blue_Navy-1754.aspx halter neck?]]

GReen

Floral and high necked but lovely

Cocolepew Wed 22-Jul-15 18:35:01

I got this for a wedding , from Phase Eight. Im 5'5 and a 16, it comes to just below my knees, it's nice and stretchy and is lined

cece Wed 22-Jul-15 18:35:50

Along similar lines

Floral

Pink

or this one is lovely

silk

Liveinthepresent Wed 22-Jul-15 18:40:46

May be barking up wrong tree but I have a Nigella dress from St Bustier,
Which I can vouch is extremely flattering - and definitely designed for hourglass and norks.

www.saintbustier.com/red-nigella-dress.html

Over budget I know but there may be sale options -

www.saintbustier.com/darcy-dress-in-orchid.html

Lurleene Wed 22-Jul-15 18:41:38

Do any here float your boat?

Mostly at the bottom end of your budget and all available in 14.

GotNoStringsToHoldMeDown Wed 22-Jul-15 18:42:53

BikeRunSki I just tried to order the green one but it only had sizes 10 and 20!!! It's only 30 odd quid, even if I decided not to wear it for the wedding it'd make a nice addition to my wardrobe. Shit!!!

GotNoStringsToHoldMeDown Wed 22-Jul-15 18:45:52

Loving the Saint bustier website

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now