Talk

Advanced search

Marie kondo - aaarrrrggghh! I will be naked!

(21 Posts)
dandycandyjellybean Mon 20-Jul-15 16:04:06

anyone else done this method of 'tidying' starting with clothes? I hate all of my underwear and all of my sleep wear. Do i go commando until I find pants and bras that 'spark joy'? Surely I'm not the only one to find it almost impossible to find underwear that fits and makes you feel 'joyful'!

dandycandyjellybean Mon 20-Jul-15 16:08:45

anyone?

fhdl34 Mon 20-Jul-15 16:18:55

I've done it, underwear I kept if it didn't have holes in it and it fit me. This was with the view to replace. Currently TTC so not replacing at the moment.

fhdl34 Mon 20-Jul-15 16:19:52

Btw there is a Kondo thread in housekeeping. Kondo changed my life for the better, stick with it

vvviola Mon 20-Jul-15 16:21:23

That's one of the things that's stopping me from doing the Kondo method properly. I guarantee that I would have nothing left in my wardrobe at all.

chanie44 Mon 20-Jul-15 16:33:39

I haven't done kondo exactly, but I did something similar. I sorted into three piles: keep (items that brought me joy), throw (items that were tatty and ill fitting) and the not sure pile.

The not sure pile was the most difficult, but I kept them, firstly as I couldn't afford to replace everything in one go and secondly so I could work out what I did or didn't like about it,
The

JimmyCorkhill Mon 20-Jul-15 16:40:31

Keep something wear but as soon as you are in a position to replace it make sure you get rid of the joyless item. Most of my clothes are crap but a crappy jumper is going to bring me more joy than freezing my tits off!!

JimmyCorkhill Mon 20-Jul-15 16:41:03

something TO wear

4kidsandaunicorn Mon 20-Jul-15 19:39:22

I did it, I had about 2 pairs of pants (that fit), 1 bra and not a lot else. In the end I kept stuff that fitted and looked ok, as long as it didn't spark despair and loathing! I took a big car load of shoes, boots and clothes to the charity shop, including some maternity ware that I had no business still wearing as it was hanging off me.

I've bought little bits here and there, no more crisis/oh that will do purchases and I've lost about 2 stone in weight (oddly enough, thinking about it, she says at the start of her book that so many people do her book and then have time to do what they have been meaning to do for ages, like lose weight or whatever). Luckily I kept the clothes that were too small.

I find I shop better now, before I'd go shopping in a faded t-shirt full of holes, so really anything I tried on was better than that, so I generally ended up buying it.

FrugalFashionista Mon 20-Jul-15 20:12:45

I think the three piles idea ('love' 'okay for now' 'get rid') is great. I started redoing my wardrobe gradually in 2011 post-DD2. Back then, almost nothing felt good or looked nice, now my wardrobe is full of lovely options. Give it some time and approach things gradually...

I replaced most of my underwear and sleepwear last year and now I love every single item.

chanie44 Mon 20-Jul-15 21:27:04

Frugal, I was exactly the same after having children - I really wanted to get my wardrobe in order. It's taken a couple of years, but I now have a good idea of what I like and what suits me.

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Mon 20-Jul-15 21:35:27

I say try it and see what you end up with. But also make it your mission to find yourself some underwear that Sparks Joy! smile get thee to a bra intervention thread!

I've had to keep a few things that I "needed" that didn't Spark Joy and intend to replace them with more Joyful versions as soon as practical. Sleepwear included, although I like sleeping naked anyway smile but Kondo's point about liking your loungewear is really valid, I think.

dandycandyjellybean Wed 22-Jul-15 20:42:15

Thanks a million ladies - I did it and didn't keep anything that didn't spark joy, apart from the pair of pants I had on! Got straight on to mumsnet bra intervention, measured myself and then on to t'internet and ordered a bunch of stuff from curvissa, bras, pants, skirts, tops etc. Some of it came next day, despite not ordering til late in the afternoon. However, can't really decide about tops until the bras arrive in a couple of days, but, hallelujah, the pants fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have pants that fit, that aren't ratty and holey, don't roll down from the waist or dig in, mercy be, the girl has pants! grin

I have 3 massive bin bags, one for the bin and 2 for charity and about 6 things in my wardrobe. I shall now purchase a few things at a time, but with great care and regard to whether they 'spark joy'. I deserve clothes that make me feel good, even if I am not the size I hope to be after all my 'fitbit' activity (8 miles today).

Will no longer lounge about in old grotty t shirts and leggings (my lovely old neighbour told me to get some nice pj's when I went into hospital to have my ds coz she said I looked like a hobo!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin), gonna get me some pretty stuff.

Thanks so much for all your input. Would greatly recommend this 'regime' to anyone. Will start on my books tomorrow!!!!

WaggleBee Wed 22-Jul-15 21:02:24

Can someone sum up what it is in a couple of sentences?

Is it basically decluttering?

I had a huge declutter a couple if years ago. I did a cupboard/drawer per day until the whole house was organised and tidy. Got rid of an embarrassing amount of stuff.

Did my wardrobe last year so for this A/W I need to buy a fair bit as it's looking slightly bare.

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Wed 22-Jul-15 21:11:38

sexbomb yay! Kondo love!

Wagglebomb - it's decluttering once and for all in a slightly bonkers way, I def recommend reading the book before doing it.

But basically:
- do this in "one go"
- sort by category, not location
- only keep things that Spark Joy

WaggleBee Wed 22-Jul-15 21:18:20

Thanks OneDay I like the sound of bonkers decluttering. grin I decluttered loosely using the William Morris rule of, "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

For clothes it was 'Is this frumpy? Does it fit? What the hell were you thinking?' grin

I'll check on the Kondo method.

WaggleBee Wed 22-Jul-15 21:18:40

*check out

howtorebuild Wed 22-Jul-15 21:23:37

Can you keep comfy clothes or is it all dressing like Vic Beckham?

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 22-Jul-15 22:10:29

I did it at the beginning of the year, which co-incided with decluttering for moving house. I got rid of so much stuff I should never really have bought, and use it as a deterrent while buying new things, asking "does this really spark joy?" when maybe I'm shopping because I'm bored or tired or whatever. howtorebuild you can keep anything, as long as it sparks joy! (One of my most joyful things are Primark pyjama trousers printed with dinosaurs. I think the postie enjoyed them this morning too when I answered the door to sign for a parcel...)

WaggleBee Wed 22-Jul-15 23:16:55

Primark pyjama trousers printed with dinosaurs.

shock❤️ They sound Amazing.

4kidsandaunicorn Wed 22-Jul-15 23:17:34

I think she also challenges why we keep stuff only for it to sit in a cupboard unused. I threw out a lot of mistake purchases that I had been hanging on to because I thought ought it get my moneys worth from them.

No, how you can keep comfy clothes, just as long as you love them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now