Talk

Advanced search

Is a face lift the only option?

(32 Posts)
DrowningInSellotape Sun 19-Jul-15 20:55:34

I really want to have a defined jawline again and minimise the onset of the double chin. I am 51 - is a face lift the only thing that would be able to do this? Any advice gratefully received!

jackstini Mon 20-Jul-15 06:53:11

Have you tried contouring to create the illusion?
Ask at a decent make up counter to show you how to do it.

HappyGirlNow Mon 20-Jul-15 07:50:21

Cheek fillers will lift the whole face and may help. Also fillers in other areas of the face - works like a scaffold.

mowglik Mon 20-Jul-15 08:33:38

Contouring with a mid brown shade along the jaw will give you back a defined jawline, as will face exercises (check out ageless facial exercises)

Ujjayi Mon 20-Jul-15 08:37:27

Facial exercises are brilliant at lifting & sculpting. Loads of ideas on YouTube. I also found that forcing myself to smile more - even when by myself (!) helps. It strengthens & lifts the muscles in the neck & jaw, along with the cheeks. You'll find the definition & strength prevents the sagging associated with a double chin.

Also make sure you have plenty of lean protein & healthy fats in your diet. I radically altered my diet 3 months ago & my skin has rejuvenated, looks plump & glowing.

DrowningInSellotape Mon 20-Jul-15 12:37:13

I will check out the facial exercises although I think it may be a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted!

Contouring didn't occur to me - I don't wear that much makeup and don't want to look overdone but will have a look.

I already have filler in my nose to mouth lines and marionettes. I'm a bit paranoid about cheek fillers - scared of the hamster look!

Has anyone heard of the non-surgical facelift - Thermage I think it is? Very expensive.

hellsbellsmelons Mon 20-Jul-15 14:04:49

There are options.
A good surgeon can do a 'mini' facelift using Botox and fillers.
But... although fillers can last up to 2 years Botox can fade after a few months.
Thread facelift may be an option?

ginorwine Mon 20-Jul-15 14:09:06

Dr chantry at alderly edge does liquid face lifts .

ginorwine Mon 20-Jul-15 14:29:02

There is also the y lift method .

HappenstanceMarmite Mon 20-Jul-15 14:34:13

Has anyone had one of those thread facelift things?

DrowningInSellotape Mon 20-Jul-15 14:43:42

thread facelift, liquid facelift..... I'm off to google! Never heard of any of these!

ginorwine Mon 20-Jul-15 14:49:20

I think there are two types of non surgical face lift .
One is the y method .
The second a combo of filler and botox .
I'm actually seeing someone about this that's why I know !!!

MarchelineWhatNot Mon 20-Jul-15 14:53:59

I wouldn't bother with Thermage as it is very expensive for not much of a change. Maybe look into MACS facelift. It can be done under local anaesthetic and you can leave 2 hours later.

hellsbellsmelons Mon 20-Jul-15 15:01:08

Aha - I found the one I was thinking of - it's called a one-stitch facelift.
article

HappyGirlNow Mon 20-Jul-15 15:17:32

With filler you should really start at the top of the face and work down as sorting cheeks can remove the other issues.. A good practitioner won't give you hamster cheeks! wink

HappenstanceMarmite Mon 20-Jul-15 16:58:10

Those results were impressive hells

DrowningInSellotape Mon 20-Jul-15 17:22:46

I was told that starting with filler lower down the face and working up would help sort the areas higher up, by in effect lifting everything from the foundations! I think it depends on where you go and who you see?
hells that does look impressive!

pinkfrocks Mon 20-Jul-15 22:20:53

I think that pic of Leah has been photoshopped. You really would not get that amount of neck lift/ thick neck slimming with threading. I'd also be wary of having polypropolene thread inserted which doesn't dissolve. I'd want to know more about reactions and possible rejection.

pinkfrocks Mon 20-Jul-15 22:23:08

Here she is again with no mention of the previous threading which she said would last 5 years...www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2252192/Ouch-Ive-facelift-69-000-needles--2-000-scalpel-free-treatment-rejuvenated-50-year-old-skin.html

DrowningInSellotape Thu 23-Jul-15 10:37:17

unfortunately I think you are right pinkfrocks

I would love to get that amount of thick neck slimming though. That is a big problem along with the loss of definition around my jawline. I don't think any amount of "contouring" is going to help.

I bet in 15 years time there will be a safe and easy procedure for this - by which time it will be too late. sad

Milllii Thu 23-Jul-15 12:06:36

I also do face exercises and have found they actually work but like any exercise you have to keep doing it to keep the face muscles lifted.

Shitmyhairdressersays Thu 23-Jul-15 16:01:00

Miiiiiiii which exercise are you doing?
I've been doing Face Works for the past 6 weeks (today actually) and have noticed really good results so far. I looked them up because of my neck area and I don't have a turkey neck now. You do have to do them at least 5 days a week but it only takes half an hour and I do it along to the videos.

Milllii Thu 23-Jul-15 18:59:09

I'm doing Eva Fraser the lady who started it all grin

Shitmyhairdressersays Sat 25-Jul-15 21:04:44

I've got a book of hers but haven't seen any videos.
Can I ask how long it takes to do a session of exercises? It takes me about half an hour atm

lighteningirl Sat 25-Jul-15 21:10:23

Caci (I think) facials. Involves electrical stimulation of facial muscles costs about £40 each cheaper for courses bloody amazing been having them for 3 years. They get rid of black under eyes stimulate your facial muscles bit like triceps dips/pressups for your chest and arms my husband notices e v very time I have one. They do take commitment tho you won't see a difference at first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now