'Permanent' toenail varnish

(34 Posts)
TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sat 18-Jul-15 09:15:57

Is there something I can do so that I don't have to reapply toenail varnish while on holiday? The only time I use any nail varnish is when my toes see daylight in the summer, so I know next to nothing about the stuff! Swimming etc makes it come off in ugly flakes, so is there something I can do or use so that I don't have to keep redoing it?

Fairylea Sat 18-Jul-15 09:20:06

You can get gel overlay - it lasts 2-3 weeks, sometimes longer depending on nail growth etc. Any nail salon will (should! ) be able to do it for you.

adagio Sat 18-Jul-15 09:23:00

I'm same as you, in that I only paint my nails (only ever toes) on the summer for those few brief weeks of sandal weather. My toes can manage a week but only if I use base coat, I think I have a ten year old bottle of no7 so smooth base, then 2 coats of colour (cheaply- Rimmel or whatever in this years chosen colour),then a proper top coat, either revlon or something like seche vite from boots. The base coat/top coat combo makes it stick better
And if there is any hint of grease or moisturiser on your nails swipe with nail polish remover before you start

derektheladyhamster Sat 18-Jul-15 09:25:09

Gel nail pedicure

BetterWithCheese Sat 18-Jul-15 09:26:06

I had gel nail polish applied to my toes on June 30th and it's still perfect. They use a UV lamp to "cure" it.

Bunbaker Sat 18-Jul-15 09:31:28

"Swimming etc makes it come off in ugly flakes"

You must be using the wrong nail polish. That never happens to me. I only wear nail polish when my toes are on display and just usually just put on two coats of nail varnish and they are fine.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sat 18-Jul-15 09:38:28

Shellac?

meglet Sat 18-Jul-15 09:41:20

glittery polish is robust and tiny chips don't notice.

Crutchlow35 Sat 18-Jul-15 09:42:23

Jessica gel is good. Lasts weeks on me.

AlisonBlunderland Sat 18-Jul-15 09:44:02

Shellac is brill for holidays.
I normally take a normal bottle of closely matching normal polish with me, so that in the unlikely event of a chip, I can fill in. I have very small toenails and apart from my big toe, shellac sometimes pings off the wee ones, so they can be rdone

mysteryfairy Sat 18-Jul-15 09:45:07

You should be able to get 4-6 weeks out of gel nails - I pay £13 for mine but I think anything up to £20 is average depending on where you are.

turdfairynomore Sat 18-Jul-15 09:47:31

I've also had minx foils on my toes for weeks. They aren't for everyone as they can be a bit "out there" in terms of pattern! And sparkle! And shine!! But they last for ages-and I like shiny toe nails!!!

ohidoliketobe Sat 18-Jul-15 11:32:00

Another to reccomemded gel overlay l. It lasts forever on my toenails! It would honestly grow out with my nails if I let it

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sat 18-Jul-15 17:18:20

Ooooh sounds good!

With these gels and shellac, do you just trim them as your nail grows?

UnspecialSnowflake Sat 18-Jul-15 17:21:37

Yes, just trim. It's not like false nails, more like a slightly thicker version of regular polish.

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 18-Jul-15 17:36:42

If you don't fancy shell(ac)ing out for gel nails Revlon do gel nail varnishes that don't chip nearly as much as ordinary nail varnish. Gel Envy I think they're called.

yesbutnobut Sat 18-Jul-15 20:05:02

What's the difference between gel overlay and shellac please?

hiccupgirl Sat 18-Jul-15 20:07:57

I do the base coat, 2 coats of polish and top coat combo at home and my nails last a good 2-3 weeks without chipping. I've got a Rimmel all in one base and too coat that is brilliant.

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sat 18-Jul-15 20:50:50

I've got quite a few nail varnishes (for my 5 weeks or so of use per year!). My favourites are a Chanel that my mum gave me, but it's a delicate 'natural' peachy shade, and Rimmel 60 Seconds in some gorgeous metallic shades. In general use the Rimmels last brilliantly. They just don't stand up to prolonged soaking, like in the sea or swimming pool.

ohidoliketobe Sat 18-Jul-15 21:44:00

R.E. difference between shellac and gel: basically nothing. Shellac is a brand name. Both are a thick nail varnish that needs curing under a uv lamp. If applied and removed correctly it's longer lasting than regular nail varnish but doesn't damage your nails like acrylic.

jackstini Mon 20-Jul-15 07:04:41

Another vote for gel - I usually get 6 weeks' wear on toes.
Currently got Sensationail Tangerine Glitter on - its more of a pink/gold holographic look and amazing in sunlight.

homebythesea Mon 20-Jul-15 09:24:03

I get a salon pedi with normal varnish and it always lasts a good 3 weeks (until the nails get too long really) with nary a chip even though I run regularly etc. always lasts way longer than hands. Do you use top coat op?

hooliodancer Mon 20-Jul-15 10:28:14

It is the sun cream and insect repellent that add to the chlorine etc and ruin normal varnish.

Gel or Shellac- same thing- are what you need. Looks perfect after a 2 week holiday.

You have to soak it off- you can buy the remover in Boots or go back to the salon and they do it for you.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 20-Jul-15 10:59:48

Varnish and a coat of no 7 top coat makes mine last for a month at least. Amazing stuff.

Bunbaker Mon 20-Jul-15 11:07:58

I think you are tight about insect repellant. It melted the plastic on an old bathroom cabinet of ours once.

Luckily, I don't need insect repellant. OH does but he doesn't paint his nails grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now