Talk

Advanced search

Advice on cosmetic dentistry needed,please.

(10 Posts)
WonkyFrontTooth Fri 17-Jul-15 20:23:09

Having spent several years with a brace,over 30 years ago,one front tooth became crooked again,and rather than presenting a flat front,is at a bit of an angle.It doesn't look too bad to me from the front,but is very noticeable at certain angles.
I didn't used to mind,but a couple of comments have made me quite self conscious.
I've been imagining all cosmetic dentistry costs several thousand pounds which I quite simply don't have,and if I did have would have more priority needs for it.
But I was wondering if nowadays,with all the clever stuff that can be done,whether just one wonky tooth could be dealt with,at a reasonable cost.
I was also wondering how much whitening costs.
Would appreciate any advice as I don't really want to initially approach the dentist surgery,if any treatment would be out of my league -as I don't want to waste their time or mine.
Thanks.

WonkyFrontTooth Fri 17-Jul-15 20:34:27

I'd be grateful for any advice.
One thing I wonder is whether you pay up front,or in instalments,and if so,how big and how frequent the instalments would be.

WonkyFrontTooth Fri 17-Jul-15 20:43:00

Bumping.

EvaBeaver Fri 17-Jul-15 20:47:18

Hello! Have you looked at Invisalign braces?

18 months into mine, my (horribly) wonky teeth are now straight.

Braces have been around £1k, paid as we went, and Zoom whitening was £300. Best money I've ever spent grin

WonkyFrontTooth Fri 17-Jul-15 20:49:38

Thanks for answering Eva.
I haven't looked into anything tbh.
Do you mind me asking how much you paid and how often,roughly?

Floridagirl Fri 17-Jul-15 21:27:49

Hi Wonky - I work for a national dental company (although I am not a dentist!) To answer your questions, it can be quite affordable these days, particularly if it's just one tooth! I wouldn't like to tell you a cost for that part but there are may different things like Invisalign, C-Fast, Six Month Smiles, Quick Straight Teeth etc etc that could work and would not break the bank. Whitening would start from £250 for trays and gel that you do at home to approx £500 for Zoom whitening. Most of our practices offer interest free finance that can be paid over 12 months or so which makes it all a lot easier!
Feel free to PM me if I can help with any more information

Mrsmorton Fri 17-Jul-15 21:31:47

OP, until you actually see a dentist you may as well pick number out of the sky.

When did you last have a check up? Do you know how healthy your gums are? Is the tooth in question restored in any way? Do you want braces, crowns or veneers or whitening? Or a combination of these?

You need to actually physically see a dentist, not a sales rep or someone in a shopping centre who reckons they can whiten your teeth. An actual dentist who is registered with the GDC and carries professional indemnity insurance who will be able to best advise you.

Otherwise it's like me saying I want a house but giving no indication of where, what I can afford, how many people I want to live there... just guesswork.

Nospringflower Fri 17-Jul-15 21:38:37

if you go to a dentist regularly you can just ask about it next time you are there. If you don't go to one why don't you start going for regular checkups and then you can ask.

WonkyFrontTooth Fri 17-Jul-15 22:17:28

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I do go to the dentist regularly,have healthy gums,the tooth in question is healthy,and I would like something done that will not affect the health or long term strength of my teeth,as thats the most important thing to me.

Perhaps I will ask my dentist. Its maybe that I'm worried I'll feel either silly,or pressured if I can't afford it.

Pre-arranged instalments like Florida mentioned sounds great -no surprises,and I could then realistically weigh up whether it'd be something I could do.

I gave up a 25 year plus smoking habit a few years ago,and the savings I've made there could be some justification for the spend.

Nospringflower Sat 18-Jul-15 09:57:41

Sorry I've just seen that you said you didn't want to ask before getting a rough idea of what it might cost. I wouldn't have thought that they would pressure you though if you just said you couldn't afford it if too much.

I was surprised to find out what a difference in prices there are with different dentists for private work though depending on where you live i.e. we are in an expensive city whereas people living further out in less affluent areas dentists were much cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now