Graduation outfit

(14 Posts)
JaceLancs Fri 17-Jul-15 18:02:49

It's DS graduation next week and trying to decide what to wear
Any thoughts on this combination?
I'm 51 size 14-16 5'4""
Dress is sleeveless and I'm not too self conscious of arms if its a hot day
Just wonder if its a bit too wedding like
What shoes or sandals would go with it too?

amothersplaceisinthewrong Fri 17-Jul-15 18:04:57

Nude courts

I think that dress would look nicer without the jacket. It looks like it has a nice line to it with the wrap and drapes that will be hidden by the jacket. Plus IME graduation halls can get very hot!!

Enjoy your day!

JaceLancs Fri 17-Jul-15 18:05:00

I have matching low heel slipper style court shoes
Various options in black from courts to sandals
White wedge sandals are another possibility

JaceLancs Fri 17-Jul-15 18:07:00

Dress without jacket!

JaceLancs Fri 17-Jul-15 18:08:47

Another possibility!
Again what shoes or sandals?

JaceLancs Fri 17-Jul-15 18:10:50

Might be able to borrow some nude courts from DD
Or have nude strappy sandals or even wedge sandals in a neutral beige

MelanieCheeks Fri 17-Jul-15 18:11:15

Blue dress is lovely, but not the floral jacket. A Pashmina, maybe in a contrasting colour like fuchsia? Or else silver grey?

Nude heels or gladiator sandals - are you wearing tights?

amothersplaceisinthewrong Fri 17-Jul-15 18:11:34

Definitely without the jacket for both dresses, both equally nice!

With dress two the white wedge sandals?

JaceLancs Fri 17-Jul-15 18:51:27

Thank you!
I won't be wearing tights - my sandals are more strappy than gladiator but will check what DD has
I haven't got a pashmina but how about a white lacy shrug type thing in linen
If its a nice day won't need anything
Glad you like the dresses though!

KneesOfTheBee Fri 17-Jul-15 18:51:40

We went to DS1's graduation this week and I would say both of your dresses would suit the occasion.

I don't wear dresses unless I can wear boots or opaques so opted for a smart mango top and trousers in a very cool material. I was worried that I wouldn't be dressy enough and had visions of everybody else in wedding-type finery, but I would say it was more smart casual than anything else.

The graduation hall does get very warm though! Another thing to consider when choosing your shoes is that you might have to walk over grass.

I hope you have a wonderful day. smile

JaceLancs Fri 17-Jul-15 18:53:53

DS just said he prefers blue dress - I'm torn because although its a better fit its shorter than I normally wear
Black/white one is better length but a little big which makes it shapeless

JaceLancs Fri 17-Jul-15 18:58:04

No grass it's a city centre venue

I'm getting all reminiscent - when I graduated in the 80s I wore a LBD and nearly flashed my underwear at passers by whilst being photographed on Brighton seafront (University of Sussex)

Milllii Fri 17-Jul-15 19:02:50

I went to my daughters graduation this week and wore a bodycon black dress with a pair of black high heeled sandals. I wore a little cardigan but didn't need it. There was a lot of walking and standing around for photo taking etc for about 5 hours so make sure your shoes are comfy.

Penfold007 Fri 17-Jul-15 19:47:12

I like both dresses on the hanger but if the grey is a little big don't wear it, it will swamp you. Go for the blue, with the shrug only if it's a bit cool. have a great day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now