Talk

Advanced search

I need help

(23 Posts)
BelindaBagwash Thu 16-Jul-15 22:23:53

My work clothes are fine - I think I always look smart but my casual clothes are a mess.

Any suggestions for places where I can buy some nice stuff for weekends. I tend to wear jeans and tops from Next, but I'm getting fed up of everything in my wardrobe.

Thanks

AppleSnapple Thu 16-Jul-15 22:24:53

Why don't you ask for this to be moved to the style and beauty board? There are some clever, stylish people over there who know their shops! smile

andadietcoke Thu 16-Jul-15 22:25:40

Most my weekend stuff is Boden, Joules and Gap. Bretons from Boden, vests, tshirts and sweaters from Gap, dresses and skirts from Joules.

BelindaBagwash Thu 16-Jul-15 22:33:53

Thanks Apple I didn't know there was such a thing. How do I go about getting it moved - sorry I'm a bit of a MN novice!

MelanieCheeks Thu 16-Jul-15 22:34:54

What do you do on your weekends?

AppleSnapple Thu 16-Jul-15 22:36:05

I think maybe report your op and ask for it to be moved in the comment section.

BelindaBagwash Thu 16-Jul-15 22:36:15

Nothing much - just shopping and going out with friends but I always think i look a mess in the same old stuff

MelanieCheeks Fri 17-Jul-15 07:46:35

Do you use pinterest at all? It's a great resource for looking through and getting ideas.

My weekend wardrobe is running gear, Craghoppers stuff for dog-walking, Joe Browns tunics and leggings with flat gladiator sandals, leather trousers with sheer shirt for "out with friends".

Mimigolightly Fri 17-Jul-15 08:05:27

White Stuff do some really nice casual clothes.

YetAnotherBeckyMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-Jul-15 11:24:51

Hi OP, just moving this over to style and beauty like you asked.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 17-Jul-15 12:12:27

Are you a mum so need clothes so be 'child friendly'?

I would suggest a browse round:-

White Stuff
Fat Face
Gap
Joules

and add in eg

Oasis
Warehouse
Jigsaw

Go on a shopping trip preferably with a friend and just try on stuff.

Or get a magazine (Look/Reveal/Grazia) and circle what you like, doesn't matter if they're ££££ just get a feel for what you like.

Joe Browns

www.joebrowns.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwz6KtBRDwgq-LsKjMk9kBEiQAuaxWUm0YjWyF_vAdhUnm7ktMd_1oOr7epnQmm-uPUHfbAXAaAhDQ8P8HAQ

has some clothes that may suit you.

It is also pointless wearing or buying clothes you will never wear again or not like or trends that aren't you.

Mint Velvet is nice for 'evening' stuff. Whistles is lovely but synthetic and a bit high fashion. even for me it's high fashion!

SuperFlyHigh Fri 17-Jul-15 12:13:24

also make a list of what you 'need'.

a raincoat, jumpers, trousers - Uniqlo are good for that but a bit basic for my tastes but reasonable weekend basics.

BelindaBagwash Fri 17-Jul-15 16:46:06

Thanks for suggestions. Haven't tried Pinterest but will have a look on there. My kids are grown up and I have a reasonable amount to spend, so will try some of the shops suggested.

I don't ever go out to anything that involves getting dressed up.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 17-Jul-15 16:52:45

You did say going out with friends OP!

nothing wrong with something smarter or more glitz/glam for evenings with friends. smile

MelanieCheeks Fri 17-Jul-15 17:15:43

I did a search on Pinterest for Weekend Wardrobe.

Quite like the maxi dress with denim jacket look!

burnishedsilver Fri 17-Jul-15 17:19:15

Mint Velvet are worth a look too but they seem to be much better at Winter clothes than Summer clothes. I'd expect they'd have better stock in a couple of months.

Mimigolightly Fri 17-Jul-15 22:21:53

If you have a good budget then Whistles does lovely clothes as a pp said. Also MaxMara weekend.

BelindaBagwash Fri 17-Jul-15 22:32:27

I like the look of Joe Browns. How realistic are their sizes? I'm usually a size 12 on the top half at Next so wondering how this would relate to JB's sizes.

polyhymnia Fri 17-Jul-15 23:21:51

Maybe explore a change of hairstyle too - your hair looks quite long - to reflect a new sharper more stylish casual look.

And second Mint Velvet - some lovely stuff. Would definitely go with them or Whistles rather than Joe Brown' s or Next if your budget is not too tight. Maybe have a look at Wrap and White Company online too. And carefully chosen (ie avoiding 'fun' patterns) Boden. I have some good casual basics from ther, eg Chelsea Turnup trousers.

polyhymnia Fri 17-Jul-15 23:23:57

Also do you have some great pairs of jeans? Again worth paying more for if you can, I think. They can be very versatile. People on this thread can recommend the best brands.

BelindaBagwash Fri 17-Jul-15 23:30:44

I don't even know how that photo appeared! I must have clicked on something by mistake. It's quite an old one so my hair has been cut and coloured since then and I love it.

I must get used to the idea of spending more on clothes. My problem is that although I have a fair amount left at the end of the month, I won't spend £50 on a top if I can get one for £20.

I think it's my mother's meanness thriftiness coming out in me.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 18-Jul-15 10:31:56

Op try a 12-14 on top at Joe Browns.

For what it's worth I've got friends who shop there and love the styles, wearability of the items and they're also good value.

I think looking at you you're quite a Joe Browns/White Stuff sort of woman day to day at weekends. White company I've not seen for years so can't comment. Boden either absolute essentials or sale (stupidly priced for what they are).

Another place to look op is EBay. I went through a phase of liking Fenn Wright and Manson wrap dresses and nicer suits (jigsaw) - if you hunt there you'll see some great bargains. I can also see you in the odd Monsoon item, they tend to embellish and be slightly boho but nothing wrong with that and quite well made clothes.

polyhymnia Sat 18-Jul-15 11:28:05

As well as Boden sale, which actually isn't that good, there's always a 20% plus free postage and returns code around, as there is now. That makes the prices much more reasonable and I think, with careful choosing, they can be a good place for good quality basics.

I'm not a Joe Brown fan personally but everyone has different tastes.

Must also admit to the opposite problem to you - as my bank balance testifies. I'd happily pay £50, or more, for a top if it flattered me and was stylish. But wouldn't feel happy at idea of a £20 top, though might possibly try it. This is mainly because, unlike you, I'm big, so often have to pay for the quality I like and the fit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now