Talk

Advanced search

Pre-owned Leather Jacket from eBay

(15 Posts)
AmelieinOz Thu 16-Jul-15 22:23:50

Would you buy a pre-owned leather jacket from eBay?

If not, why?

If yes, do you have it professionally cleaned, etc before wearing?

BikeRunSki Thu 16-Jul-15 22:25:17

I recently sold one, there was a sat minute flurry of budding. I didn't get it cleaned before listing it.

CointreauVersial Thu 16-Jul-15 23:10:03

I haven't bought one from eBay but I have bought one from a charity shop. No idea if it had been cleaned, and I certainly haven't bothered.

If you are listing one, just be super honest about any marks or stains.

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 16-Jul-15 23:17:23

I buy all sorts of pre-owned things from ebay. I just drawn the line at underwear and husbands.

sooperdooper Thu 16-Jul-15 23:19:07

I've been wanting a leather jacket lately and I've watched a few on eBay but not bid yet, I wouldn't necessarily get it cleaned if it was in good condition

dexter73 Fri 17-Jul-15 08:09:56

It costs a lot to get a leather jacket dry cleaned so I would only buy one if it said it was in very good condition.

Lottapianos Fri 17-Jul-15 09:33:16

I just sold one. I had only worn it about 5 times in total so didn't get it cleaned. It was in perfect condition though.

AmelieinOz Sat 18-Jul-15 23:16:27

I read somewhere that bed bugs live on linings of leather jackets. I don't know how true though.

Also worried about the lining - is there a way to regularly clean the lining without always bringing it to to professional cleaners?

AmelieinOz Sat 18-Jul-15 23:22:09

I've bought a leather jacket for my husband which I popped on the washing machine. Came out looking okay. He hardly wears it though, says it's not his style.

PinguForPresident Sat 18-Jul-15 23:30:44

I've sold leather jackets and not had them cleaned. They've been in VGC, though.

tigerdriverII Sat 18-Jul-15 23:38:44

You put a leather jacket through a washing machine?

Did I read that right or have I been missing a trick?

tigerdriverII Sat 18-Jul-15 23:41:03

And yes I would buy one if I liked it and no I wouldn't clean it before wearing unless obviously minging. I wouldn't care about bed bugs.

prettywhiteguitar Sat 18-Jul-15 23:45:36

Bed bugs aren't that common in the Uk, I'm assuming you're in Oz ? I know they're a problem over there ? I wouldn't expect it to be dry cleaned unless you suspected it might be harbouring bed bugs

AmelieinOz Sun 19-Jul-15 00:19:29

tigerdriverII - yeah I put a leather jacket in the washer. It's a thick leather jacket by Pierre Cardin which I got for a steal but when it came, while it was in perfect condition, it did smell too "vintage". Figured I didn't have anything to lose. Also, I googled and apparently it's being done by other people. Anyway it came out fine. If it weren't so cheap ($30 with shipping) I probably would not have risked it.

AmelieinOz Sun 19-Jul-15 00:20:07

prettywhiteguitar - yes I am in Oz. I haven't heard of bed bugs problem here, though, but I just read it in a blog that if the owner has bed bugs it can live there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now