Talk

Advanced search

How much is reasonable to spend on sunglasses?

(20 Posts)
maybemyrtle Thu 16-Jul-15 15:05:12

For years I bought Primark 1 or 2 quid jobbies, functional but meh. Then 2 years ago I "splashed out" on a lovely pair of French Connection ones from Boots. This morning I tried on a pair of Marc by Marc Jacobs ones in TK Maxx for £30 that I really liked...but £30 for sunglasses! Part of me thinks that's extortionate for something essentially made of plastic that I don't really need and will probably lose, part of me just loves them. I can afford it I'm just struggling to justify it...

Is that a normal price?

WhoNickedMyName Thu 16-Jul-15 15:13:14

I have a pair of Oakley sunglasses that were £140, I've had them about 10 years now. Cost per wear probably works out the same as the cheapo glasses that you only get a few weeks or months (if you're lucky) out of.

Talisin Thu 16-Jul-15 15:26:42

I have two pairs of designer sunglasses that cost, um, considerably more than £30. They really suit me, they're comfortable, I love them and I always feel good wearing them. If you can afford them without difficulty and you love them then buy them. Better to pay more for something you love (and will probably look after better because of that) than a cheapie something that you're meh about - that really is wasting your money.

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 16-Jul-15 15:29:31

Sunglasses are so easily broken or mislaid that I'd spend £30 but not much more than that. I always buy in TK Maxx too.

I'd generously allow someone to buy me a pair of £125 Wayfarers though.

Talisin Thu 16-Jul-15 15:30:25

Oh and if you do go for them, buy a hard case for them - they'll last a hell of a lot longer!

Lottapianos Thu 16-Jul-15 15:30:32

Depends what they're worth to you. I'm a Primark sunglasses person, but I know someone who has spent about �200 on a pair of Prada shades. She loves them.

I think �30 is fine if you can afford it and you love them

dirtyprettything Thu 16-Jul-15 15:33:40

I have a Chanel pair I have had for 15 years.... Not sure how much they cost but they weren't cheap!

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Thu 16-Jul-15 15:33:46

I have three pairs they are all the same Ted baker ones except for the lenses as I have only ever found one pair that suits me.
I wear glasses most of the time so I have
Prescription ones. These cost me £120 all in
A pair with normal lenses for when I'm wearing contacts which cost me £80
And a pair I found on eBay for £25 as spares.

I've had the first pair for about six years and these three are the only ever sunglasses I've owned.

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Thu 16-Jul-15 15:35:24

And yes to hard cases.

burnishedsilver Thu 16-Jul-15 15:42:16

€30 for decent sunglasses is a total bargain .

maybemyrtle Thu 16-Jul-15 15:42:26

I am convinced; I'll go back and purchase. Thanks for enabling!! smile

carrie74 Thu 16-Jul-15 16:04:40

I used to be a cheap sunglasses person, then bought my first pair of Raybans. The difference was incredible: comfy even when worn all day, I've never had anything go wrong with them. I now have 4 pairs of designer sunglasses that I rotate. I've had them all for ages (the newest pair is 2 years, the oldest maybe 8 years), so I think CPW is good.

HappyGirlNow Thu 16-Jul-15 16:40:14

Ooh I have 4 pairs of Chanel - each were £250 - £300
A pair of Prada - around £280
Around 6 pairs of Ray Bans - £120 - £150 each
A pair of Michael Kors - about £120
Am about to buy a Dolce & Gabbana pair - think they're about £140

I like sunglasses. A lot. blush

I've built up over a few years - £300 is probably my limit on one pair. Probably. Unless I REALLY liked them grin

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Thu 16-Jul-15 16:42:10

I have a pair of Oakleys currently - they cost me £50, full RRP would have been £90 but I got them at a discount.

The sunglasses I had before that were about the same price and lasted me for nearly 6 years.

Sometimesjustonesecond Thu 16-Jul-15 18:24:21

Make sure that whatever you buy protects your eyes properly. Buying expensive doesnt always mean they are good.

Glitteryfrog Thu 16-Jul-15 18:34:52

I've got rayban wayfarers - £100 (bought in duty free).

But my everyday normal glasses were £250.

Doobigetta Thu 16-Jul-15 18:41:43

I have two pairs of Jil Sander sunglasses. Purchased via TK Maxx for about £30, RRP was something like £200. They are fantastic- really light and comfortable to wear, never rub the tops of my ears and don't leave red marks at the bridge of my nose. If anything happens to them I'll seriously consider paying full price to replace them.

FungusTheBogeymam Thu 16-Jul-15 18:50:16

I have prescription sunglasses. They cost me an arm and a leg.

I'd love to be able to pick up a pair of 30 quid sunnies off the shelf ...

mrssmith79 Thu 16-Jul-15 18:53:28

I love my Aviators, classic, comfy and great protection. They were about £145 iirc. I also have other pairs which were duty-free impulse buys but they look a bit dated now. I should really pull my finger out and whack them on eBay.

whereismagic Thu 16-Jul-15 20:21:17

I would go for Australian or New Zealand sunglasses. Sun is fierce there and if you don't have a decent pair you have a big problem. You need to wear them all the time so it's not a luxury item and you need to look good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now