Talk

Advanced search

What do I wear to my wedding?!!

(16 Posts)
Doreta2G Thu 16-Jul-15 14:30:28

Hello. We're planning a very quiet wedding, just us, our parents and our 2 little girls. We'd like it to be at the end of August if we can get ourselves organised but it may get pushed back to October.

We'll get married in a nice registry office and then to a lovely local posh pub for some lunch (hopefully in their garden if it's nice weather).

What on earth do I wear? I'm totally overwhelmed by the Internet and wander around the shops aimlessly!!

I'm pale skinned, kind people describe me as English rose, dark brown hair. I generally suit quite bright colours but love blues the best - all shades.

I'm 5ft6 and about a 14 but shrinking slowly! I'm generally quite in proportion, have boobs 34f, and hips.

I hate my knees though so it would have to be knee length or below.

Can anyone inspire me? I'd also want to get shoes and a bag to match.

I'm not sure I want anything obviously bridal as I would quite like to be able to wear it again. Budget - maybe £300 -£350 including shoes and bag.

I's also rather have covered arms a bit.

Thank you so much in advance for any ideas.

JanineMelnitzGlasses Thu 16-Jul-15 15:13:18

I really like This

You could definitely wear it again and it would be really easy to find matching bag and shoes.

How 'wedding-y' do you want your dress to be? John Lewis have lots in their sale like this but it depends if you like lace or not.

Congratulations too, OP.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Thu 16-Jul-15 17:08:40

Depends on your personal style, but this is charming and beautiful in RL www.johnlewis.com/somerset-by-alice-temperley-lace-insert-silk-dress-ivory/p1911693

maybemyrtle Thu 16-Jul-15 18:01:04

Congratulations.

I'm in a similar position, but I have a few months longer to get my head round a non-weddingy wedding dress smile

No idea what your style is normally, but...
def covers knees

fitted and lace

lighter blue

silk - but shapeless?

printed

pale lace

Doreta2G Thu 16-Jul-15 19:07:54

Wow. Thank you very much. I particularly like the lacy ones. I actually have a black one fairly similar and felt lovely in it when I wore it to a winter wedding last year. Is it a bit naughty if I buy a few online then take them back? I find trawling round the shops a bit overwhelming.

My normal style is fairly bland. I either wear wrap dresses or suits for work or jeans and a top otherwise.

I'm emerging from 5 years of sleep deprivation so slowly starting to find myself again! Sorry if that sounds a bit silly. I don't really have much of an idea about style!

Doreta2G Thu 16-Jul-15 19:10:22

Meant to say congratulations to you too Maybemyrtle.

It's exciting and a bit overwhelming isn't it?!

We just want to be married really but also feel like we'd like to mark the occasion a bit!

burnishedsilver Thu 16-Jul-15 19:32:40

This colour is fabulous but it doesn't cover much of the arms.

coast

maybemyrtle Thu 16-Jul-15 19:58:26

Yes we feel exactly the same! I think we'd both be happy to bypass the wedding day entirely and elope...and maybe we still will! smile

Absolutely, order loads and return everything that doesn't work. I prefer trying stuff on at home so that is exactly what I would do. The lacy ones are nice, especially the lighter one, really pretty. ...which was meant to be this!

Enjoy trying on the frocks flowers

maybemyrtle Thu 16-Jul-15 19:59:25

Oh that Coast dress is an amazing colour!

Doreta2G Thu 16-Jul-15 20:34:57

Thank you again. That coast dress is an amazing colour! I may have to try that on.

tethersend Thu 16-Jul-15 21:01:41

How about something like this?

tethersend Thu 16-Jul-15 21:06:18

or more unusual?

JanineMelnitzGlasses Thu 16-Jul-15 21:14:42

Not sure if this is an option for you OP but most retailers will do a complimentary personal styling service. I'm pretty sure if you rang ahead they'd be more than happy to help you.

Doreta2G Thu 16-Jul-15 22:34:28

Tether- I'd seen the first one when I was looking at some of the others recommended. Love it and the colour. The ones I like are starting to get dressier than I had intended!

Consultation is a really good idea - I guess House of Fraser and JL do that do they?

everygalaxy Thu 16-Jul-15 22:39:40

www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Georgina-Dress.html

What about this? Saw it on a blog and the company had great reviews. Congratulations

JanineMelnitzGlasses Thu 16-Jul-15 23:22:40

All the big retailers do, JL and HOF included.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now