Talk

Advanced search

Vertbaudet sizing - girls clothes

(14 Posts)
Pumpkinette Thu 16-Jul-15 10:33:06

Hi all. I've been looking at the coats in vertbaudet for DD and really like the look of one. It works out a great price with discount code too but I'm stuck on sizing.

DD is 5y 8m but she's very small and slim for her age. She's just moving into age 4-5 clothes in most places and even then some are too big and the ones that do fit still have growing room.

Now I'm aware vertbaudet runs very small, I vaguely remember getting some baby clothes and it was the only place (other than gap) that I had to buy her actual age rather than the size below. I was thinking getting the coat in age 6. The sizing goes from 6y to 8y and I think 8 might be a bit big. If they had and age 7 I would have went for that to give some growing room without her looking swamped.

According to the size charts she's age 4 for height (105cm) and age five for other measurements, however I don't trust that to be true based on all the reviews.

Are there kids clothes sizes like Gap? She is 5t in Gap toddler range and just moving into XS in the girls range which is supposedly age 5-6.

ceeveebee Thu 16-Jul-15 10:56:16

They do run small. I would think their 6y is probably same as 4-5. Is it a winter coat so she'd have a few more months to grow into it? Or could you order both and return one?

Pumpkinette Thu 16-Jul-15 11:43:28

Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear. I will get her the age 6 and if there is still growing room then that will be fine as I do want it to last the winter and into early spring. I thought about ordering both sizes and returning 1 but I can't be bothered with the hassle of returning it to France.

It is furry lined duffle type coat so more cold, dry weather than for heavy rain. She tends to take her cardigan off in school in the morning and not put it on again until home time so I want something to keep her warm in the playground. (She feels the cold easily- probably because she's so skinny). I already have a good heavyweight winter coat for her from last year but I want something a bit lighter for September / October and I love the look of duffle coats for school.

Pumpkinette Sat 18-Jul-15 12:06:17

Well I ordered the age 6 and it arrived today. I'm pretty impressed, the sizing is ideal and delivery was fast. I would say the age 6 is definitely like a 4-5 for places like Next. The colour was a bit different to what I was expecting (more green than the blue-green showing on the website) but it's still pretty. Thanks for your help.

gallicgirl Sat 18-Jul-15 12:09:55

What's the quality like?

I've had some clothes from there which have been quite flimsy.

SirVixofVixHall Sat 18-Jul-15 12:24:51

French sizing is different to UK sizing. It is retrospective, so a 5y is a 4-5, not a 5-6 as it would be here. Sometimes it comes in 4, 6, 8, and not a 5y in which case a 6y is a 4-6y. They are also slimmer generally, so work better for slender frames than chunkier ones. I would have suggested the 6 to you, and I see that is a good fit. I have very slender girls and French sizing is almost always age accurate for them. Much more so than UK or US sizing which is always too wide. You will find that La Redoute, Petit Bateau and DPAM all fit your DD in the same way as Vertbaudet.

Pumpkinette Sat 18-Jul-15 14:09:19

gallicgirl The quality looks good. It's well stitched and the trims are leather. The zips are a little stiff but that's probably because it's new. The fur lining is really soft - like a kittens fur. The wool mix fabric is not really thick like a proper duffle coat but the coat is padded so it should be warm enough. I would say it looks similar quality as Sainsburys clothing. It's machine washable which a lot of the proper wool coats aren't and that's one of the reasons I chose it. I couldn't be doing with a dry clean only coat for a 5 year old. Time will tell if it stands up to school life. Last year we got through 2 coats as they got ripped at playtime - a Tresspass one and a Regatta one so I went for something in a different style this year.

SirVixofVixHall Thanks for the tips. I will have a look at the other brands you mentioned. I stuck to Gap when she was younger as the fit was great but now I'm finding that she's a bit big for the 5t sizes and the XS in the girls range is still a bit long on the legs and arms. It would be nice to buy clothes from other places without having to take them in.

Diryan Sat 18-Jul-15 15:47:54

Verbaudet do free returns. They're based in Wakefield, not France!

Pumpkinette Sat 18-Jul-15 18:56:26

I see that now - the mail order used to be from France though a few years back. They certainly were in 2009 when I previously ordered from them.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Sun 19-Jul-15 08:38:28

I buy clothes from my DDs from La Redoute, whenever they have a good code, and buy Vertbaudet as well as other French brands. My DDs are slim, so it's a great source of clothes for them: I can buy stylish, cotton clothes at ridiculously good prices (depending on the code). Agree that the sizing is "true to size" if you have slim / slight children, and I've always been pleased with the quality. Plus, I don't see everyone else in the same thing (a la H&M).

Pumpkinette Tue 21-Jul-15 11:55:46

Had anyone bought kids shoes from them?

They look good quality and leather with proper leather insoles but not sure if they will be narrow fit or not. DD is an E fit. She's not a toe scuffer so I'm not concerned about that - just the fit.

DD's feet have just grown so she really needs shoes. I've just spent £62 on school shoes shock (she needs indoor shoes as well as proper school shoes) and I couldn't justify another £45 in the shoe shop for a pair of outside school shoes. Not to mention she will probably need boots come October and some of their boots also look quite nice.

She has canvas trainer type shoes from next that were cheap and cheerful in the sale but I know I will need something a bit more robust considering summer is now over in Scotland and we have had rain for the past week or so.

I have a code so could get a nice leather pair of shoes for about £25.

Northernexile Tue 21-Jul-15 12:11:43

I tried some Mary Janes for DD, who is an E fitting in Clarks (another skinny minny!), but they were far too wide and had to go back. I had a code too and was disappointed as the shoes were otherwise lovely.

SirVixofVixHall Tue 21-Jul-15 12:47:31

I've never tried the shoes, but I may do now, as although both my dds are very slight of frame, and slim, they have really wide feet with high insteps.

Pumpkinette Tue 21-Jul-15 18:02:36

Well that's that plan out the window, it's a pity as they do have some nice unusual styles and I love the look of the leather slippers.

So based in this I went today to see what I could find input local shopping centre. I got her a pair of those knee high trainers (converse style) reduced to £10 in Next. Then we passed clarks so I went in for a look and come out with 2 pairs of leather non-school shoes. I just asked what they had in the back as I didn't like what was out on the floor and the girl brought out 2 pairs of leather shoes (same style different colours) both reduced to £12 from £36. I snapped them up. So 3 pairs of shoes for £34 isn't too bad.

I must stop buying shoes! I can just see DH's face when he realises how much I've spent this month on shoes. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now