Talk

Advanced search

Short hairstyle for a 4yo hair twiddler?

(17 Posts)
NoParking Wed 15-Jul-15 21:36:28

Dd2 wants her hair 'as short as daddy's', to help her stop twiddling huge knots in it at night. I think a grade 3 all over is a bit extreme for a 4yo girl...

So, does anyone have any ideas for easily maintained short hair for a little girl? I was thinking a shoulder length bob, but she wants it shorter than that. I'm not prepared to take her to the hairdresser often enough to maintain a fringe and it needs to kept be out of her eyes for school without too much effort.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 15-Jul-15 21:38:31

Can't you plait it at night? She might really miss it once it's gone if twiddling is her comfort.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 15-Jul-15 21:39:30

A bob isn't a low maintenance style ime.

DJThreeDog Wed 15-Jul-15 21:41:32

How about this?

NoParking Wed 15-Jul-15 21:41:48

I do plait it at night. She pulls out the bit she fiddles with, no matter how tightly I do it.

And I worry that she'll miss it, too, but she's been asking for several months now so in prepared to go a bit shorter (it's currently half way down her back).

DJThreeDog Wed 15-Jul-15 21:42:14

Has she got straight hair though?

NoParking Wed 15-Jul-15 21:43:44

DJThreeDog - thanks, I hadn't thought of that style. Her hair is very straight, so I think it might work.

stargazer2030 Wed 15-Jul-15 21:47:02

My eldest had a chin length bob when she was young. A bit longer than the pic. I loved it - she had thick, really knotty hair. She hates it when she looks back at pictures now though.

DJThreeDog Wed 15-Jul-15 21:54:01

It's pretty isn't it? And it will always grow back if she changes her mind smile

chaiselounger Wed 15-Jul-15 22:05:48

I am a twiddler. Surely if her hair is very long, then you need to cut it gradually? A short bob fur starters. Going from mid back to that lovely link picture may just be too much?

NoParking Wed 15-Jul-15 22:29:06

Chaiselounger

I've been trying to persuade her of that, but she's not convinced. I'm torn between the 'it'll grow back, let her choose' and the 'she'll feel sad and it's so pretty long' approach.

Also, the ballet teacher is very strict, and I can imagine massive struggles to get a bob into an acceptable bun each week.

Toptack Wed 15-Jul-15 22:29:24

If you don't want to go to the hairdressers frequently enough to maintain a fringe, surely that very short cut is out of the question? Would need trimming every few weeks!

Marmaladybird Thu 16-Jul-15 08:08:40

I think I'd get her a long bob and look up lots of different ways to braid it or tie it back - she's only 4 and they're so contrary at that age. The short hair in the photo looks fab, but it depends on your daughters personality (i.e. how she copes with changes).

prepperpig Thu 16-Jul-15 08:13:59

Could you not rag it each night? They she'd have lovely curls in the morning too.

Take a strip of sheeting about 5 cm wide and two and a half times the length of the hair from root to tip.

fold the rag in half and hold at the root of the hair. get her to hold the other end tightly. wind the hair in a spiral down the rag. When you get to the bottom take the other end of the rag from your DD and wrap it tightly around the hair. You now have a mummified lump of hair which she can't access in the night. I would put four in. Next morning she will have beautiful ringlets.

TheEmpressofBlandings Thu 16-Jul-15 08:36:28

I've just cut my 4 year old's hair into a just shorter than chin length bob (from past shoulder length), she loves it. She hates wearing it up or clipped back so it was permanently knotty. I showed her pictures of short hair to make sure she knew what it would be like, then chopped it. She's very happy with it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 16-Jul-15 08:40:30

Oh blimey, I remember ragging, soooooo painful grin

prepperpig Thu 16-Jul-15 08:43:33

No it doesn't have to be painful, depends on how tightly to the scalp you tie the rag.

I have very thick waist length hair and I like loose ringlets and so don't start the wrapping until about two inches down. That way it doesn't hurt one bit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now