Talk

Advanced search

Smart/Casual - can you wise S&B gurus explain what this is please - funeral attire related

(10 Posts)
MonikerisMonica Wed 15-Jul-15 21:20:49

I'm due to attend a family funeral next week and the widow wants mourners not to wear black but 'smart but casual is acceptable ''. I know what smart is and I know what casual is but I am a bit flummoxed on how to mix the two (and not make a total fubar) All advice would be gratefully received. I should add that I don't have money to spare to splash on a new outfit so would have to work with what I already own.

snowgal Wed 15-Jul-15 23:43:13

I think it means that the widow would prefer people wore smart attire but casual is acceptable if that's all you have, i.e. come regardless? I'd go for normal smart clothes

Snowflakepie Wed 15-Jul-15 23:46:23

I would go for a jacket and skirt or trousers but in a colour other than black tbh. Smart casual to me means everything something a bit nicer than jeans but not suit and tie, so for a woman I guess something you would wear to an office job. Not sure if that helps but its what I would wear. Sorry for your loss x

musicalendorphins2 Thu 16-Jul-15 00:01:37

I'd go for smart and conservative. Something you'd wear if you were an office worker, or going to court.

MonikerisMonica Thu 16-Jul-15 15:47:53

Thanks for the replies smile I've been a SAHM for the past 9 years so I don't actually have anything that would be suitable for office/court. My daily attire is jeans/sleeveless vests in summer and jeans/jumpers in winter. If I go out I tend to wear sleeveless maxi dresses. Hmmmm I may after hit the shops after all - don't want to look 'wrong'.

I have a sleeveless summer shift dress in shades of white/black/yellow - do you think this would fit the bill?

musicalendorphins2 Sat 18-Jul-15 02:19:43

Yes, the dress would work, sleeveless is fine. The most important thing will be the fact that you care enough to go and pay your respects, from what you described, I don't think your dress would be a problem at all. I wore a light grey skirt with a yellow top and white blazer to my step father's mothers funeral, as I was in a similar clothing situation.

AuntieStella Sat 18-Jul-15 02:26:52

I think it means that the widow would like you to dress up a bit to mark the occasion as important, but not to the extent of buying new (or agonising about it).

I'd go for a good day outfit, subdued colours OK and dark jacket if you have one to give funereal note.

Turquoiseblue Sat 18-Jul-15 04:28:31

The dress sounds fine, I would keep it smart casual by adding a jacket or cardi and shoes and keeping accessories to a minimum/ classic.
Another option could be a skirt (pencil or pleated ) and plain smart top (plenty of both in the sales eg oasis etc) with pointed flats or courts and a jacket/ cardi. Again minimal accessories keeps it somber.

sleepwhenidie Sat 18-Jul-15 04:58:27

I take it to mean no jeans or shorts, no need for suits/ties etc. I think the dress sounds fine but would add a black cardigan or jacket as Turquoise says.

woodleydoodle Sat 18-Jul-15 21:28:12

I would take it to mean no jeans, shorts or tracksuits/sportswear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now