Talk

Advanced search

Anti-aging moisturiser for spot prone skin?

(11 Posts)
SnapCackleFlop Wed 15-Jul-15 20:28:54

Can anyone recommend a good anti-aging moisturiser than doesn't make spots a million times worse?

I've found the Elemis pro-collagen marine cream good but was shocked that it was £100 (was given one as a gift).

Grateful for any help!

Shop Thu 16-Jul-15 06:46:32

Superdrug do a range for spot prone, ageing skin - clearly youthful it's called. I've used the night serum which is nice.

A lot of ingredients which are antiangeing are good for problem skin too. Salicylic acid, vitamin a, glycolic acid smile

Wolpertinger Thu 16-Jul-15 06:56:58

Moisturiser isn't especially anti-ageing. The key anti-ageing ingredients are acids, usually found in toner type products as easier to be right pH, and retinols, best ones are in stand alone products. Peptides might help a bit and they are usually best delivered in serums.

Which boils down to moisturiser not being worth spending ££££ on - beauty companies have known how to make moisturiser for peanuts since Nivea was invented (although spot prone skin doesn't really like Nivea).

You want something oil-free for spot prone skin. Cerave is lovely and has ceramides and niacinamide, both of which help skin's barrier function so are good for acne and potentially ageing as well. I think Olay go a lot for ceramides and niacinamide too.

As Shop says, most anti-spot ingredients are anti-ageing as well. If you had a routine with salicylic acid toner, niacinamide and a retinol that would be ace for your spots and far more anti-ageing than the moisturiser. And don't forget the SPF grin

SnapCackleFlop Thu 16-Jul-15 10:17:01

Shop and Wolpertinger that's brilliant advice - thank you smile

I think i was looking at it a bit wrong - It feels as though moisturiser is the law or something and I hadn't even thought about those other products (thb I'd had a look at the Caroline Hirons site mentioned on here but didn't know where to start).

I'll go and hunt for those things you've recommended - thanks so much for your help flowers

Shop Thu 16-Jul-15 13:20:36

Cerave PM is a marvellous moisturiser, definitely worth trying as it about £10 for 59ml!

Wolpertinger Thu 16-Jul-15 18:09:39

Cerave is sadly only available on Amazon/eBay in the UK sad A little bottle lasts ages.

Popular acid options would be Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion (good if you aren't that spotty), Effaclar Duo (if proper spotty), Paula's Choice 2% BHA (my favourite and comes as lotion, gel etc so you can choose your fav texture)

Retinol would be Avene Ystheal, LRP Redermic R, Paula's Choice Retinol or Skinceuticals Retinol. Be careful as there are a lot of products out there with not enough retinol in to be effective.

BotoxBitch Sat 18-Jul-15 20:40:06

Jan marini transformation cream

Jaeme Sun 19-Jul-15 00:32:30

If you really liked the elemis PCMC check on eBay as you can pick it up lots cheaper on there.

They have a TSV on QVC on the 26th of July which is about £170 of products for £55. There's usually a lot of listings on eBay after the TSV as people split them up to sell smile

SnapCackleFlop Sun 19-Jul-15 00:42:40

Thank you all so much for your helpsmile
Really appreciate it and will now be happily googling and buying lots of new beauty products....
flowers

Snoozy1 Sun 19-Jul-15 08:19:16

Vichy have an anti-aging, anti imperfection cream it's in their normaderm range and seems to have very good reviews.

specialsubject Sun 19-Jul-15 12:09:48

...but sod all evidence like all the others. There's no such thing as anti-ageing moisturiser, if there were do you think anyone would have wrinkles?

to slow down wrinkles:
- don't smoke
-wear sunscreen
- eat properly
- have the right parents
- never show any expression

wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now