Talk

Advanced search

Hospitality day at The Open - what should I wear?

(16 Posts)
midgeymum2 Tue 14-Jul-15 22:35:01

A very lucky DH, and therefore me too, have been invited to a day's hospitality at the Open. I have no clue what to wear.

Am going round in circles a bit - was thinking tailored capris, nice top, smart flats and some nice accessories. Would this be ok? How smart/casual should I be? Has anyone been to this before or anything similar? I'm worried I will be either over or under dressed!

I don't know any of the other women (DH colleagues wives) to ask them, although DH tells me they will be "well dressed" but can't manage to be more specific! I've been to a few events in my own right before but all work related so more corporate, just requiring a clean suit which I can just about manage.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Nettletheelf Wed 15-Jul-15 09:30:09

I've been to something similar. I'd go for a chic little dress and cardigan combo. You don't want to go down the wedding/races road (as you've already spotted) but, nice as capris and flats are, I think that look might not be quite smart enough.

Euphemia Wed 15-Jul-15 09:35:03

Which day are you going? Prepare for rain! Also for horrendous traffic - leave plenty time for travelling!

AlisonBlunderland Wed 15-Jul-15 09:38:08

Are you actually going to watch any golf? Or just drink and eat in the hospitality tent?
What is your DH wearing?
I assume that the men will all be wearing small casual. Not work suits, mayabe blazer and tie, But some might just wear a smart version of what they wear playing golf
If you are thinking about going out on course to watch any golf, then work from the shoes upwards

Euphemia Wed 15-Jul-15 09:39:21

Work from the wellies shoes upwards, yes. wink

cashewnutty Wed 15-Jul-15 09:46:13

Ok. I live in St Andrews and have been to the open many times. People go in golf clothes. Think chinos, flat waterproof shoes (people who golf wear golf shoes), polo shirt and jumper. Even if it is corporate hospitality, it IS NOT a dress up event. I have never seen a dressed up person at the golf.

If you plan to stay in the tent all day you might get away with smarter things but don't wear a dress or skirt. Capri's and a nice top plus a jumper (windy on the Links) and decent shoes (waterproof if going around the course) and a waterproof jacket.

What day are you going? The weather is not to be good. Friday is to be a howling gale. Saturday is to be better (we are going on Saturday). Sunday i think it is to rain.

cashewnutty Wed 15-Jul-15 09:50:41

Sorry Thursday it is to rain, Sunday it is to be lovely.

AlisonBlunderland Wed 15-Jul-15 09:57:53

Is there a dress code on either invite for website for hospitality area?

AlisonBlunderland Wed 15-Jul-15 10:05:13

Have a look at this video advertising Open hospitality.

www.britishopengolf.co.uk/hospitality_video.php

Just before 1.00 there are some shots of guests.

Casual seems to be the way to go. it's not Ascot

chemenger Wed 15-Jul-15 10:30:45

What Cashew said, most people at the Open are in golf clothes or similar. If you are going out on the course then golf shoes are by far the best footwear. Nobody wears wellies, St Andrews won't be all that muddy in rain, it's a links course. What you suggest sounds perfect. There was a long thread about this last year and it split neatly between people who had been to golf events and those who had not, who were recommending floaty dresses and sandals.

cashewnutty Wed 15-Jul-15 10:34:38

It will be mostly golf mad men at the hospitality and a handful of women. if the weather is fair the men will all disappear between food to go round the course. If golf bores you take a book or something to occupy your time.

prettybird Wed 15-Jul-15 11:06:37

I agree about "smart casual". If you want to walk around the course/follow some of the golfers, make sure you are appropriately attired. Sensible shoes are a must - if necessary, take a pair of trainers you can change into if you go out on the course (especially of you are going on one of the forecast awful wet days).

Smart trousers (capris or chinos) with a well cut shirt/top and a nice scarf to accessorise. Simple but classic. Also think about a jumper (depending on which day you go) as the wind and rain could make it quite chilly.

PrimalLass Wed 15-Jul-15 14:08:55

Layers. St A is my home town and it can be pretty nippy.

midgeymum2 Thu 16-Jul-15 00:19:16

Thank you very much for all replies, sounds like I may be ok then.

We are going on Friday when the forecast is awful! I don't really follow golf and have never played properly but I would happily watch, although probably not so happily in the pouring rain. Have borrowed an enormous but smart bag and will stuff in a jumper/cardigan and possibly a pair of trainers too. Will also wear waterproof coat and make DH carry a golf umbrella. My plan after that is to enjoy the free wine hospitality so much that I don't care about the weather wink

cashewnutty Thu 16-Jul-15 08:19:55

Sounds like a plan! I could hear helicopters with the top golfers arriving this morning - it all starts now. There is a great buzz in the town. Hopefully the weather won't be so bad as expected. Have a great time.

Euphemia Thu 16-Jul-15 08:26:08

DH works at St Andrews Uni and he says the town has been bedlam. They shut the uni completely for two days as they make millions from letting out the carparks!

Have a great time - it's a lovely place. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now