Talk

Advanced search

dress for a wedding in Spain in September - I need to BRING IT

(25 Posts)
Honesttodog Tue 14-Jul-15 20:36:51

shop.nordstrom.com/s/french-connection-sunlight-summer-metallic-tweed-fit-flare-dress/3925469

I bought the dress above but I think it's more like a dress for a wild night out.

Is anyone online who can guide me towards some brands I may have missed? Am size 12 - 14, 32 DD, 5 ft 4, I can wear strong colours, and coral is prob my fave colour. Nothing floaty or girly, my style is more sexy/fierce.

Wedding will be full of glam people rather than trendy iykwim. So not Cos, more sexy and feminine styles.

PrettyObvious Tue 14-Jul-15 21:21:53

Pure Collection have lovely linen dresses in their sale at the moment. Or Fenn Wright Manson for silk.

Honesttodog Tue 14-Jul-15 21:45:18

Really need glamour. Anyone used a good personal shopper or personal stylist? I just haven't got enough time to traipse all around London only to find out that my bum looks massive in most things.

coffeenut Wed 15-Jul-15 08:42:29

have you looked at karen millen? Maybe something like this

Or perhaps reiss?

are you aiming for fit and flare style like the FCUK dress?

TheTravellingLemon Wed 15-Jul-15 08:47:17

I'm not a big fan of Karen Millen normally, but I love that dress.

What's your budget op?

Koalafications Wed 15-Jul-15 08:50:15

The Karen Millen dress is lovely.

BumbleNova Wed 15-Jul-15 09:12:03

have you had a look at Reiss? they do some great tailored shapes:

www.reiss.com/p/quilt-stitch-detail-dress-womens-jessian-in-guava/?category_id=11000

www.reiss.com/p/pleatdetail-dress-womens-giulia-in-abyssal-blue/?category_id=11000

this is very glamourous:

www.reiss.com/p/silk-maxi-dress-womens-adella-in-tangerine/?category_id=11000

Nettletheelf Wed 15-Jul-15 09:22:38

The KM dress is great (I've got it).

cashewnutty Wed 15-Jul-15 09:29:07

Ted Baker also do lovely dresses.What about this?

this is lovely too but not fitted.

Zorion Wed 15-Jul-15 13:33:35

I live in Spain, people tend to wear full length gowns and get their hair done at salons for weddings for day and night weddings. They spend a fortune! BumbleNovas last link is most "in" over here.

FauxFox Wed 15-Jul-15 16:30:33

short drapey
paneled
shiny
halter
maxi

Umbrelladilemma Wed 15-Jul-15 19:10:48

I have this which and I love it. Very bright coral and the back is interesting.
[http://m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/vila/vila-mono-dress-with-pleated-skirt/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5560964&clr=Hotcoral&searchterm=coral+dress&un_jtt_application_platform=newPlp&un_jtt_redirect]

Umbrelladilemma Wed 15-Jul-15 19:11:19

Aargh
[[ http://m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/vila/vila-mono-dress-with-pleated-skirt/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5560964&clr=Hotcoral&searchterm=coral+dress&un_jtt_application_platform=newPlp&un_jtt_redirect ]]

Honesttodog Wed 15-Jul-15 21:23:10

Ooh gosh exciting replies! Am a bit nervous about using high street brands. The groom loves clothes and is a dapper dresser, the girl is from a smart family and they always look very glam, well thought out outfits, nothing recognisably high street. So exhausting trying to figure out where to pitch it.

Honesttodog Wed 15-Jul-15 21:33:05

Oh yes they are not Spanish so won't be that full on Spanish vibe. Went to a Spanish wedding last year and was blown away by the opulence of it all!

That KM DRESS IS GREAT oops but only 14 left and I'm a 12 in most brands right now with a sometimes 14 bum. Will look again.

Honesttodog Wed 15-Jul-15 21:33:47

Umbrella what bra do you wear with that dress?

Honesttodog Wed 15-Jul-15 21:35:39

Going to house of Fraser on Monday to hopefully get sorted. But these are great suggestions that I hadn't seen so thanks.

MarinaCoyle Wed 15-Jul-15 21:37:35

Here's a major budget buster but it's fahhhhbulous. Plus fits the designery bill.

www.tabithawebb.co.uk/product/betty-pink/

coffeenut Thu 16-Jul-15 02:32:07

what is your budget?

if you don't want high street, have you looked at the outnet? like this?

coffeenut Thu 16-Jul-15 02:33:20

i also love this issa one, but the pale pink pleat may not be great on a large bum: Issa

Umbrelladilemma Thu 16-Jul-15 08:22:41

Honest, I was going to get one of those backless bra extenders that crosses over round your waist, but in the end I just wore a strapless bra on the loosest setting and pinned the back to the waist of the dress.

FauxFox Thu 16-Jul-15 16:20:58

If you are a 12 most places and curvy a 14 in KM will prob fit you - they come up very small imo, give it a try?

buddy79 Thu 16-Jul-15 16:52:16

I've been lusting after this:
www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Piper-Dress.html
for a wedding this summer but tragically I think it is actually too dressy for the wedding I'm going to, but it might fit the bill for you? I think it has an element of bring it!! I don't know anything about the brand but they stock some in House of Fraser I think...good luck x
The Karen Millen dress is also lovely!

Liveinthepresent Thu 16-Jul-15 18:04:51

I keep seeing this in the window of whistles it is very striking - coral not red www.whistles.com/women/clothing/dresses/marisa-draped-dress-20144.html?dwvar_marisa-draped-dress-20144_color=Red#start=1

bishboschone Sat 18-Jul-15 08:45:19

Karen Millen is very small'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now