Talk

Advanced search

What's brought me out in a rash? :(

(9 Posts)
Euphemia Tue 14-Jul-15 00:05:35

I've been in France the past week and something's brought my face and neck out in a rash. I have an antihistamine and I'm seeing slow improvement, but what's it likely to have been?

(1) La Roche Posay Antihelios facial sunscreen?
(2) Sephora anti-ageing moisturiser?

I used those for the first time this week. My eyes in particular puffed up and now I have red, dry, wrinkly skin under my eyes.

I just got home today, and if there's no further improvement in a couple of days I'll see my GP.

holeinmyheart Tue 14-Jul-15 08:08:54

I have just come back from 5 weeks in roughly 38 degrees. I have a rash on my arm. I just think it is a combination of the heat, sun exposure, eating and drinking things I don't normally eat and maybe being bitten by something. Etc.
I won't be going to my GP as I think the rain and gloomy weather will soon restore me to my normal state.
I did come back earlier in the year with a ring like creeping thing on my wrist that kept enlarging. I did go to a GP about that as I thought it bore symptoms of a parasite. It turned out to be a fungal infection. Mmmmm what a strange thing it was as it sloughed the skin on my wrist, produced a blister circular trail and itched horribly and extended to a five inch patch.
Yours sounds like a allergic reaction to something in France.
Being back in miserable Britain will knock it on the head. I always find my mossie bites calm down as soon as I cool down back in the UK.

Euphemia Tue 14-Jul-15 08:33:36

I've had prickly heat before on my neck, arms and shins, but this is different.

My eyes are a bit better today, and the rash is gradually going. After a few days of my usual products I'll reintroduce the Sephora moisturiser: hope it's not that as it cost me a lot of money! angry

Featherbluedot Tue 14-Jul-15 11:20:10

I would try out the moisturiser on my neck first and maybe just on one half and on the other experiment with the sun cream to see if either brought out the rash. I would avoid the face at all cost.

Featherbluedot Tue 14-Jul-15 11:22:11

Actually if the sunscreen is spf50 it could be that.

My DS became instantly allergic to a Nivea spf50 sun cream I put on his face on holiday.

Lottie4 Tue 14-Jul-15 11:24:10

Is the rash exactly wear you applied the new products?. If so, let your skin clear up and patch test each one at a time for a couple of days. Sounds silly but maybe warmer weather abroad interacted with one of the creams.

If you had a rash elsewhere, then did you eat anything unusual or feel slightly different. I had a reaction to antibiotics a couple of years ago and my face and neck was the worst, although I could pick out the rash on my body and legs.

ALittleFaith Tue 14-Jul-15 15:30:55

I've reacted to sunscreen before too, especially if it's a spray one. I think it's the thinning agent I react to.

Euphemia Tue 14-Jul-15 16:41:23

No rash anywhere else, just face and neck. The sunscreen is SPF50. Most likely that, but I'll patch test as you suggest before binning it!

CheersMedea Tue 14-Jul-15 17:41:02

Try a patch test on the inside of your elbow. Get a glob of the stuff and cover it with a plaster.

It also maybe something that you ate or touched with your hands and then touched your face with. It doesn't always follow that localised reaction is not caused by eating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now