Talk

Advanced search

Bra gurus - my new bra definitely fits but is still uncomfortable

(9 Posts)
Ashwinder Mon 13-Jul-15 19:41:09

I went bra shopping this weekend- first time in about 5 years. I usually wear a bra top instead. I went to M&S first. The assistant decided I was a 38D. She brought me a selection of bras to try on. They all looked fucking awful and felt worse. I left without buying anything and went to Bravissimo. The assistant there was brilliant. I tried on over a dozen bras in different sizes and styles before opting for this one in a 32FF. shock

It definitely fits. The band is snug but not too tight. The gore is flat on my chest. The straps don't dig in. My breasts fill the cups nicely with no overspill.

BUT after wearing it all day, I've found it very uncomfortable-particularly in the band. I've just taken it off and there are red marks along my back and where the gore sits.

Does it just need to 'bed in' a bit? Am I just unused to wearing a bra? I'm a bit disappointed because it cost a lot and it looks like a good fit.

Help!

marriednotdead Mon 13-Jul-15 20:00:44

If you're uncomfortable then it's not quite right. Take it back ASAP and ask to try it in a band up, so a 34F instead. They will exchange it for you.

sksk Mon 13-Jul-15 20:08:19

Might need a band up. I find my band measurement has gone up but I still might technically be my pre baby size as per the measurements. Only I can't stand anything remotely tight. However my problem is usually that the bra is too big. I'd go back and explain the problem as if it is leaving marks then that suggests it is the wrong size.

pseudonymity Mon 13-Jul-15 20:09:24

My well fitted bras leave red welts, even the really comfortable ones still leave red marks. I think - I might get shot down for this - but with people wearing the tighter bands it's bound to be slightly uncomfortable and/or leave red marks, because it's basically corsetry and I don't think corsets were very comfortable.

Burn your bra threads must be coming soon...

SorrelForbes Mon 13-Jul-15 20:23:14

All my, very well fitting, bras leave red marks. Some bras are harder than others and often need a bit of breaking in. However, some styles just don't work for some people. I can't wear plunges as they dig in to the side of my ribs. I'd try wearing it a few more times and it is still hurts, take it back to Bravissimo and ask for another fitting.

rubybleu Mon 13-Jul-15 21:40:35

I have this bra (fitted by Bravissimo) and whilst it looks like a good fit, it is an extraordinarily uncomfortable bra. I have other bras in the right (same) size which are much comfier.

321zerobaby Mon 13-Jul-15 21:46:34

I think new bras are a bit like new shoes, both need shorter wears when new to break them in.

marriednotdead Mon 13-Jul-15 22:04:08

I'm going to go against the grain here, as someone who has worked in this industry for long enough to have a bit of insight.
Size is not everything, and a visually good fit may still not be right for you. The shape and positioning of the underwire against your ribs as well as the fabric used will impact how the bra actually feels, no matter how perfect it looks.

If your bra/shoes/jeans require adjusting throughout the day or are uncomfortable enough to make you want to remove them before you're ready, then there is room for improvement.

Breaking a bra (or shoes) in actually means letting your bones/boobs wrestle with the restriction and hopefully winning so that the bra reshapes around your body rather than the reverse.

Ashwinder Mon 13-Jul-15 22:27:49

Ok thanks everyone. Will wear it a couple more times but if there's no improvement then back it goes. Will have to wait until the weekend though as the nearest Bravissimo store is 30 miles away -curses living in the sticks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now