Help - shall I cut my long hair shorter?

(19 Posts)
Dancergirl Mon 13-Jul-15 17:04:25

I've had long hair for pretty much most of my life apart from a few short periods when it was shoulder length and/or layered.

It is now mostly one length with a few shorter bits at the front which are old grown out layers. In the past when I've had it layered I like it at first but find the maintenance too much when it starts to grow out, so in recent years I've just had it trimmed all one length.

I am rubbish at blow drying so I use my GHDs at home.

But I am now 43 and it's dawned on me recently that I don't think my hair flatters me and I think it might be ageing sad I saw a photo of myself recently and my hair was just 'there'.

So I feel like going a bit shorter but too scared to lose too much length!

I have a small face, pale skin, brown eyes and my natural hair colour is dark brown (but greying sadly now).

Any ideas? I don't really want to post a photo as I like my anonymity on here. I quite like Fiona Bruce's hair smile

MotherOfChickens Mon 13-Jul-15 17:28:26

Hi,
I'm the same age as you and recently had the exactly same dilemma. Two weeks ago I went from shoulder length to a pixie cut and I love it! Quite a few people have commented on how much younger I look with short hair and it's great to be able to just wash and go with minimal styling.
Pinterest is great for getting ideas and looking for inspiration.

yazzy85 Mon 13-Jul-15 18:13:10

I had my long hair cut into long bob recently and am liking the new length. It looks younger and more fresh. Its similar to this photo.

Floisme Mon 13-Jul-15 18:30:47

I disagree that short hair is in itself more youthful but if you have a small face, it might suit you better.

Dancergirl Mon 13-Jul-15 18:55:11

That's nice yazzy, how do you style/look after it?

Dancergirl Mon 13-Jul-15 18:59:45

That's nice yazzy, how do you style/look after it?

Truckingalong Mon 13-Jul-15 19:01:50

Do not go any shorter than that picture. Short hair is ageing. And yes, I'm so predictable before anyone else says it. I'm also right!

Loafliner Mon 13-Jul-15 19:03:14

I just got a pixie too - my hair had become too unmanagable, it wasn't silky or glossy like it had been when i was younger, no amount of hair product was working, it just generally made me feel like an old hag. My hairdresser was incredibly enthusiastic about a new look for me and she was right. My pixie cut makes my skin look better, more youthful especially around the eyes. My look is androgenous with lipstick wink i'll only admit it on here but it's made me feel kind of cool again.

Floisme Mon 13-Jul-15 19:30:32

I disagree Truckingalong grin If you suit short hair when you're young, I think you'll still suit it when you're older. Likewise if you suit long hair.

What I think sometimes happens, is that women get their hair cut when they hit 40-ish cos some people tell them it's more youthful. And hey it doesn't suit them. But it's not because they're 40 but because they haven't got the right face for it.

Tizwailor Mon 13-Jul-15 20:01:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yazzy85 Mon 13-Jul-15 20:09:08

I'm 29, not quite 40 yet...just wanted a change from my usual bra band length layered haircut. Its easier to manage and looks better with my face shape.

Dancergirl I style it with the Babyliss Big Hair. It took me awhile to get used to the length. Someone recommended on another thread to use the Babyliss to style and it really works well with this cut. I was straightening it before but that made it more flat, whereas when my hair was long the Babyliss didn't work as well..

Dancergirl Mon 13-Jul-15 21:40:28

Ive heard about this babyliss big hair thing but i don't understand exactly what it is......

Dancergirl Mon 13-Jul-15 22:54:54

Just googled Babyliss big hair, I had no idea! Is this the way to go now, are people using this sort of thing rather than traditional blow drying?

Is it easy to use?

I don't think I'm brave enough for a short cut just yet but I like the idea of a long bob as yazzy posted.

Forgot to say I've got very thick hair, slightly wavy and goes a bit frizzy when not tamed.

Dancergirl Mon 13-Jul-15 22:55:47

Still confused though, how do I know what will suit me? One length long bob or some layers in?

yazzy85 Tue 14-Jul-15 14:28:08

Dancergirl what face shape do you have? If you google what styles suit that shape it may help you decide. For the Babyliss, there are youtube tutorials too. I blast my hair with the dryer first and then go through it with the babyliss. Its quick and gives me volume. A bit of serum at the end to smooth it out at the end.

Dancergirl Tue 14-Jul-15 14:31:33

My mum used to say my face was heart shaped (i.e. wider at the top), maybe it is slightly but it's probably more round/slightly oval.

yazzy85 Tue 14-Jul-15 15:46:08

dailymakeover.com/could-you-do-a-bob-hairstyle/

This website is helpful for different bob styles. You can discuss with your hairdresser as well which cut will look good on you.

hellsbellsmelons Tue 14-Jul-15 16:12:35

It is easy to use but unfortunately doesn't usually last very long.
I got one and it was fantastic. I have thick, curly hair.
But the high heat doesn't last long and they are pretty much useless now.
I didn't use them often and I'd say they lasted about 3 months before they became useless.
It's a shame because when they work they are fabulous.

Dancergirl Wed 15-Jul-15 10:27:06

Right, I've booked an appointment for tomorrow! I needed my colour done anyway so have bit the bullet. Still not exactly sure on style, i don't want it too short, maybe a long bob? Or some layers? What about a long wispy fringe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now