Talk

Advanced search

Blackheads on a 10 year old

(12 Posts)
poohrina Mon 13-Jul-15 12:20:42

Not sure how to treat blackheads and spots on such young skin. Nose and chin becoming a problem. Use cleansing wash, toner and cleansing creams but they seem to get worse. If older would you a face pack but worried skin to young. She is starting puberty but not had a period yet. Any ideas?

ruddynorah Mon 13-Jul-15 12:22:46

Oil cleansing method.

WaitingForFrostyMornings Mon 13-Jul-15 12:25:23

I wouldn't use anything too harsh on them really. My DD (10) likes to use St Ives exfoliator when they get quite bad but otherwise she washes with warm water and nothing else.

My friend uses sugar as an exfoliator but I always think I would miss washing some of it off and end up being chased by wasps confused

enderwoman Mon 13-Jul-15 12:25:26

My son who's slightly older uses Neutrogena Visibly Clear Spot Stress Control. It's in Boots next to other teen ranges like Clearasil and Freederm.

Angie1978 Mon 13-Jul-15 12:34:33

My DD 9 uses the witch hazel range of face washes and the dab on stick.

She does this twice a day and they have really come back under control.

Carpaccio Mon 13-Jul-15 13:24:45

First off, are they blackheads or sebaceous filaments?

If blackheads, they will need extracting. If sebaceous filaments, they are completely normal and a good cleansing routine will help.

You can find pictures on google.

My mum used to squeeze my sebaceous filaments, telling me they were blackheads. It did nothing to improve my skin or my confidence. She could have bought me a good cleanser and I would have been much happier and not had an issue with my 'terrible' skin for years.

I like Cetaphil. I use it with a Clarisonic but you can just apply it with hands and take it off with a flannel.
If you want to use something to exfoliate, I suggest an acid toner, such as Pixi Glow Tonic over a scrub as a scrub can scratch the skin and cause quite a lot of issues if used too often.
A good moisturiser for her skin type and SPF is also a good idea.

poohrina Mon 13-Jul-15 13:27:55

Didn't realise there was a difference and I must confess to squeezing! Huge thanks

poohrina Mon 13-Jul-15 13:28:40

What is oil cleansing method? Should I know!!

poohrina Mon 13-Jul-15 13:29:42

What does the dab on stick do/ achieve?

Coastingit Mon 13-Jul-15 20:36:50

Get her something with salycilic acid in it. It's the only thing that clears my sebaceous filaments, I'm 35 and still have then if I don't use it!

I use Paula's Choice 2% BHA lotion after cleansing, overnight, twice a week. I use Cetaphil which is a great gentle cleanser but it won't get rid of sebaceous thingies, you need to get inside the pore for that and that's what salycilic acid can do. Most Clearasil type products have it in anyway, but you know what to look for now. Some teenage type spot products can be really harsh and stripping, I like the Paula's Choice lotion as it's a cream consistency and I have dry sensitive skin (with clogged pores, gorgeous I know) and it doesn't irritate at all, in fact it's immensely soothing.

poohrina Tue 14-Jul-15 10:39:13

Nice one thanks

jaws5 Tue 14-Jul-15 15:08:03

I bought La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo for my DD(12) and it really works. She applies it twice a day after using a gentle cleansing facewash. It's about £14, not cheap, but really excellent and gentle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now