Talk

Advanced search

What bra size am I?

(17 Posts)
rollonthesummer Mon 13-Jul-15 09:24:18

I've read on here about measuring under the bust and then leaning forwards and measuring the fullest part, but surely-if you have very droopy boobs they will just flop like a couple of empty sacks and give a much much bigger measurement than two perky ones bent over would!?

I measure...
31 under the bust
37 around the fullest part when standing up
38/39 around the fullest part when bending over

Apologies if I've misunderstood. I've always worn a 36D-I did try a few 34DDs last year, but they were so tight around the band, I had to stop wearing them.

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Mon 13-Jul-15 09:36:33

Good point about the bending over. I'm breastfeeding so my boobs are pretty floppy atm, so I'm sure they'd measure differently suspended in midair. I think they recommend you measure with a bra on?

If you measure 31 underneath you should be a 32. Wear it on the last hook and make sure the straps are long enough so it sits on your ribcage well below your shoulder blades. Maybe try a 32E or F?

FructoseTart Mon 13-Jul-15 09:41:02

I'd dread to think how many inches mine would be if I bent forward, probably an extra 4 inches from standing grin

SorrelForbes Mon 13-Jul-15 11:01:02

Your measurements suggest trying a 30FF/G and a 32F/FF. The difference between your standing and leaning measurements isn't that big so it may not make too much of a difference.

However, your current 36D has the same cup volume as a 34DD, a 32E and a 30F. If a 34DD felt too tight then without a doubt, the cup was too small. That suggests to me that you would have needed at least a 34E. The band would be too big though (measuring 31) so that again points to trying a 32F/30FF.

projectgreen Mon 13-Jul-15 11:08:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

The bending is about as close as you can get measuring for cup even for soft breasts but it is only ever a starting point. Try on that size then look at the info on the bra guru blog about how a bra should fit. If it's too big in the cup then work down

pinkfrocks Mon 13-Jul-15 12:48:45

But surely you do have to bend over if you are droopy, because if you boobs are droopy when you stand up you will only be measuring the 'flat part' when in fact all your breast has to go into the cup.

rollonthesummer Mon 13-Jul-15 13:02:34

Hmm-but even without it done up-ie with just the band done up around me and my arms not even in the arm holes, the 34 band was too tight? How would a 32 or even 30 be comfortable?

SorrelForbes Mon 13-Jul-15 13:09:11

Because wearing a band with too small cups results in your boobs 'stealing' material from the band, hence the tightness. If you try on a 32 or a 30, test the band by trying it on back to front first. If it feels firm but not crushingly tight, then put it on the correct way round (put the shoulders straps on too and scoop everything into the cups). If the band suddenly feels too tight, go up a cup (or more).

PerspicaciaTick Mon 13-Jul-15 13:11:43

How can a 34 inch band be too small to go round a 31 inch ribcage?

SorrelForbes Mon 13-Jul-15 13:13:33

It shouldn't, unless it's faulty!

ObeseDenise Mon 13-Jul-15 13:15:19

When you've been wearing bands that are too big for years it can take a while to get used to a properly fitting one.

I'm a 31 back and was wearing 36 bras shock . I now wear the correct band size and they felt too tight for weeks bit then I got used to it. And my boobs thanked me for finally supporting them properly grin .

pinkfrocks Mon 13-Jul-15 13:48:04

I agree. I used to wear 34Bs now I wear 30DD , 30D or 32D depending on the brand and style.

stripytees Mon 13-Jul-15 18:57:01

Try some good brands with consistent sizing, not M&S or other shops own brands when you're trying to establish your size.

In my experience Freya, Fantasie and Panache are quite consistent in band size although you need to find a style that suits you.

rollonthesummer Tue 14-Jul-15 11:55:37

How can a 34 inch band be too small to go round a 31 inch ribcage

Because they don't measure 34! I have 3 34DDs. They measure between 25 and 28 inches around.

ouryve Tue 14-Jul-15 12:02:49

They're very stretchy, though and some brands are stretchier than others. I'm 32GG, at the moment. I compared 2 of my old 32G bras, recently. Both about 25" unstretched. The triumph only just stretched to 32" and felt very stiff and taut. The curvy kate stretched easily to 34". Needless to say, my 32GG bras are all curvy kate and the Triumph I actually wear, at the moment, is their 34F and I tend to wear it as loose as it will go.

SorrelForbes Tue 14-Jul-15 18:05:47

The 34" will relate to stretched length. My 30" bands usually measure around 22" unstretched.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now