Talk

Advanced search

Washington DC in September - business and leisure wardrobe needed!

(7 Posts)
OvertiredandConfused Sun 12-Jul-15 23:28:45

I'm trying to be organised and plan for a trip to DC in mid-September. I'll be there for about 10 days and time is about equally split business and leisure.

I went last year at short notice - and for a shorter period - and my wardrobe was all wrong, not least because it was (a) much warmer than I expected and (b) I got so badly bitten that I ended up with my legs in bandages!

This year, I need several outfits that keep my legs covered which is a challenge as I suit dresses (knee length, skater style) much better. If I wear trousers they need to be wide leg and sit on my waist.

Work wear I would describe as business casual rather than city smart. Including changes for dinner, I reckon I need six work outfits and four or five more casual ones. Obviously happy to mix and match and make some use of hotel laundry service.

I'm 5' 9", hour glass (hate my mummy tummy) and wear mainly 14 but sometimes a 12 on top.

Would love to travel as light as possible as I have a shopping trip planned to stock up on clothes for DD who is 14 and has a very long list!

Oh, ideas to repell mozzies also appreciated as I don't usually suffer.

LondonHuffyPuffy Sun 12-Jul-15 23:37:10

The electric plug in antimozzie things saved me in DC. Shop for yourself as well as DD there! I can't remember the name of it but there's a brilliant shopping mall in DC, plus all the big stores like Bloomingdales. I'm so jealous! I love DC

OvertiredandConfused Mon 13-Jul-15 00:29:54

Tysons Corner is the Mall. Didn't make it last year, will be better organised this time. Am seriously considering shopping on the first day and taking essential items only. Would that be mad?

Think I got bitten when walking between the monuments. I walked a lot. Planning to do the night cycle tour this time. Very lucky that I get a three day weekend to be a selfish solo traveller before colleagues arrive!

SenecaFalls Mon 13-Jul-15 00:34:49

Would that be mad?

It could be a problem because the clothes in the stores will be for fall/winter, and it will likely still be warm, if not downright hot, in DC in mid-September.

SenecaFalls Mon 13-Jul-15 00:38:14

DC is built on a dredged out swamp, hence the mosquitos. You need insect repellant.

OvertiredandConfused Mon 13-Jul-15 11:38:02

I did wonder about that Seneca. So back to Plan A. Meaning I need wide leg summer trousers that aren't linen!

Anyone know if these mosibands are any good?

SenecaFalls Mon 13-Jul-15 12:43:13

I have never used those Overtired so I don't know. We have always used spray-on repellant, but even that not very often. I live in Florida and they spray for mosquitoes here during the warmer months.

I was in DC for nearly a week for business a year ago in June. Dress was business casual. I took several pairs of lighter weight straight leg pants trousers, two black, one gray, as I recall. I had a black jacket and a gray cardigan and several tops, some with muted patterns, some solid, and just mixed it as needed. A bit boring, but it worked for me. I didn't take anything more casual because there wasn't much time for leisure activities or sight-seeing.

I love DC. I have spent a lot of time there over the years, and never tire of going back. Be sure to do the White House tour if you can; they let you take pictures now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now