Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else get so tired of dry skin that constantly needs moisturising?

(10 Posts)
Oldisthenewblack Sun 12-Jul-15 14:39:28

I have very dry skin. Eczema, but lucky enough for it not to flare up, it's just the extremely parched skin. I get so heartily sick of moisturising like mad, constantly, only for it to make practically no difference whatsoever. My hands are like sandpaper. I use the strongest hand creams available and nothing changes. My skin is not flaky dry, just parched on a very deep level. It's maddening. It's soooo labour intensive

Sometimes I just want to have a shower and then go to bed, but I can't because I have to spend an age creaming up afterwards, or everything will crack and dry and be extremely uncomfortable

Does anyone else have this problem and do you get so bored with having to attend to your skin all the time?

Oldisthenewblack Sun 12-Jul-15 14:42:11

Posted twice, sorry. Too keen, clearly....

OneLittleLady Sun 12-Jul-15 14:45:05

i hate it. i have eczema plus added dryness because of the medications i have to take and i go through so many creams it's unreal. i have to do it otherwise my skin flakes off in huge sheets and my elbows especially crack and bleed. one of the best things ive ever used for it is not a cream but a shower gel and it's lush flying fox. it's very expensive for shower gel but worth it to me as it really does help

PlayingHouse Sun 12-Jul-15 14:49:20

You need a better moisturiser.

I use Hydromol ointment (not the cream) from the GP.

Looks like grease but my god it feels good and keeps skin moist for ages.

Go to the doctor.

BabyGanoush Sun 12-Jul-15 14:50:26

Using bath oil, and having a bath instead of shower.

Also, shower less. Skip it every other day and just do a flanel wash. (Considered gross by MN)

It's best to not overwash dry skin. Or use too much soap or perfumed stuff (creams).

BitterChocolate Sun 12-Jul-15 14:57:39

You probably already do this, but make sure that your shower gel doesn't have SLSs in it. I recommend African Black Soap, which you can get in liquid form, I buy it from Akamuti. Or Jason shower gels are very mild too.

I don't have eczema but I get psoriasis and am generally very dry-skinned and I find that the skin on my face has improved immeasurably since I started using Snail Repair cream as well as a moisturiser. I also use oil cleansing rather than a foaming one, I use Akamuti's Sweet Orange Cleanser, and then a gentle scrub with a flannel.

pussinboots61 Sun 12-Jul-15 23:23:43

I have the same problem. I've recently started using Lush dream cream and wash and they seem ok. I get bored of using emolients.

Playinghouse, the Hydromol ointment sounds good, do you use it on your face too? I've read that it can be used as a soap too so would work out more cost effective.

Millionprammiles Mon 13-Jul-15 09:11:36

I have eczema too and my skin used to be much drier but a few things have helped:
Aveeno shower oil (for body only) - after trying lots of different soap free moisturising shower gels this has proved the best.

Body Shop Camomile cleansing balm for face (taken off with damp cotton wool). I stopped using water on my face years ago, this is the most moisturising cleanser I've found.

Aveeno cream (for body) - the cream is much better than the lotion.

Face - Clinique DD lotion with Eucerin aquaphor balm for driest patches. I'd highly recommend the Eucerin range. I'm only using Clinique out of habit really.

You also need to exfoliate body skin gently once a week. For face I don't exfoliate but use Cliniques turnaround cream at night. Without it my moisturiser felt like it was sitting 'on top' of my skin and not penetrating.

I've spent 20 years trying lots of expensive brands (eg Dr Hauschka, REN etc) but Eucerin and Body Shop really seem to focus on dry skin the best.

PlayingHouse Mon 13-Jul-15 09:47:29

puss yes it's just a moisturiser so can be used on face.

Oldisthenewblack Mon 13-Jul-15 17:07:30

I use Cetraben bath additive, prescribed by the GP but available OTC. I never, ever use shower gels or soap. Millionprammiles - I do use Eucerin, the heavy duty stuff, 10% urea, heavy duty stuff that's suitable for hyperkeratosis and other skin conditions (not sure if I've spelt that right). It's certainly a great moisturiser, best I've ever used, but again, doesn't make a long term differences, and I guess that's what I'm always hoping for, but of course, it's not going to happen.

I use Neutrogena (amongst many other things) on my hands, again, get it on prescription.

BitterChocolate - I've tried the African black soap from Akamuti, it was hopeless for me, just left my skin as dry as any other soap, though I love the idea of only using 'pure' things on my skin. I find the pure things don't do a thing for me, oils for example just don't touch the dryness. I'm sure all the additives in creams aren't good for the system, but I can't live with parched skin grin(

OneLittleLady - I feel for you. I remember what it was like when my skin used to crack and bleed. I do hope you find something that works well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now