Never dyed my hair, where do I start?

(8 Posts)
ShelaghTurner Sat 11-Jul-15 14:27:43

Well that's a bit of a lie. I killed it with Sun-In when I was about 15! But since then never ad I'm now 43. It's a sort of dark rat colour laced with grey <nice> and I'd like to change it. Figure I've got the 6 weeks hols now where I don't have to see anyone in case of cock-ups so where would I start in terms of temporary colours? Would like to go a bit lighter ideally. Anyone have any advice to help the clueless please?

Shop Sat 11-Jul-15 20:10:09

I don't think you can go lighter temporarily but I may be wrong.

If you can maybe book a consultation at the hairdressers and see what they can offer?

I've done my own hair on & off over the years and I think the dyes now are pretty good so you should be ok. They do say on most to only go a few shades different to your own colour.

BitOfABoost Sun 12-Jul-15 08:28:56

Be very, very careful and do not do anything all over that risks not washing out completely, otherwise you will end up scouring the many threads on here (or starting your own) about how to stop the dye.getting over the grey roots showing etc etc. I had an allover dye first at about age 35 cos I was bored. A few years on I was on a treadmill due to root regrowth. By the time I was 40/41 I had to have them done every 4 weeks or so.

I would go to a hairdresser and get a few highlights/lowlights put in but nothing more. Much easier to maintain and/or stop if you get bored.

(BTW I resorted to chopping off my bra length hair into a crop at the end of last year to ditch the dye. Have some grey but feel free of the treadmill)

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 12-Jul-15 13:51:46

Most dyes will come out darker than you expect (I have mid brown hair and even a light blonde dye will come out chestnut).Though I don't do a strand test , for shame .

I have short hair ( chopped off from shoulder length to cropped because I got bored) , the top is now 2" long, sides/back very short.

I am steaily going lighter with highlights and dye that I do myself. It gets cut every 5-6 weeks so minimal colour overlap but I don't get the shock of going too light too quick.

It is a commitment though.
YY to semi permenant first to see if you like it?

ShelaghTurner Sun 12-Jul-15 13:53:13

Thanks all. Lots to think about. Looks like I'm going to have to go to a hairdresser (yikes!). Or hit the sun in again...

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 12-Jul-15 13:57:01

Noooo

Step Away From the Sun-In.

It was hugely popular in the 80s (my DSis used it, IIRC the extra potent one and went candyfloss ginger)

Hairdressers it is.

ShelaghTurner Sun 12-Jul-15 16:55:17

I had a buttercup yellow jumper in the 80s. My hair was the same shade... hmm It was not a good look grin

Featherbluedot Mon 13-Jul-15 09:33:29

If you do go lighter pick a shade that is ash (cool tones) so it is less likely to go orange. Maybe just lighten a few strands at the front at first after dying your whole hair a shade close to your own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now