Talk

Advanced search

Coconut oil

(14 Posts)
plymouthmaid Sat 11-Jul-15 12:43:15

Do any of you use this?? My daughter has just bought a box of sachets for whitening teeth for £20!!! Is it worth the money and is it best to use oil or capsules???

plymouthmaid Sat 11-Jul-15 13:56:17

Anyone???smile

Mamab33 Sat 11-Jul-15 13:58:34

Never heard of sachets. Is that is all that is in them?

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 11-Jul-15 14:19:39

Coconut oil will not whiten your teeth

My DH is a dentist and not convinced about the benefits of oil-pulling. His view is that patients would be better placed investing in a good electric toothbrush and using the oil-pulling time brushing with a good technique and flossing

If you want to do further whitening, your DD could speak to the dentist about bleaching.

Please don't go to a beauticians for bleaching. Basically it's a criminal offence for non-dental professionals to carry out the work and can cause problems if not carried out properly

ZaraW Sat 11-Jul-15 14:28:21

Oil pulling works really well for me, years ago I had bad dental work which led to gum disease and I had issues with my hygienst she found it difficult to remove plaque build up. She recommended oil pulling and my last appointment was so much easier than usual.

I floss correctly and have a Sonicare brush along with oil pulling and that made all the difference. I now only do it once a week after doing it for 50 days continuously.

My dentist also recommends it as well.

PurpleDaisies Sat 11-Jul-15 14:32:17

Oil pulling is nonsense. The mechanical action of swishing something around your mouth will help dislodge plaque but if you own a toothbrush and/or mouthwash don't waste your time.

This link explains it nicely.
www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/oil-pulling-your-leg/

ZaraW Sat 11-Jul-15 14:40:00

It worked for me.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 11-Jul-15 15:50:09

Thanks purple - I will pass that link onto DH

He had an article that seemed to say that generally people take up oil-pulling when they decide their oral hygiene needs addressed generally so it will usually be coupled with better cleaning

zara - that's interesting that your dentist recommended it. DH was saying that he's never come across a dentist who thinks there are any material tangible benefits

Kundry Sat 11-Jul-15 18:25:54

£20 for sachets! You can just buy a giant tub for less. Someone is making an absolute fortune out of coconut oil.

And the evidence for oil pulling is that it's just the swishing and improved brushing, not the oil that helps, as Gobbolino and purple have already said.

namechangeforphotos Sat 11-Jul-15 18:53:09

God yeah a big jar cost me about £6, she was robbed! shock proper organic raw stuff it was

ZaraW Sat 11-Jul-15 19:40:19

As I said it works for me my last appointment for cleaning was much less painful and my gums look much healthier. The only difference I made in my routine was oil pulling.

ZaraW Sat 11-Jul-15 19:50:41

www.dentistryiq.com/articles/2014/03/how-dental-professionals-can-respond-to-oil-pulling-patients.html

PurpleDaisies Sat 11-Jul-15 19:52:52

You'll always be able to find someone who says that something worked for them/their aunt/their neighbour's dog. I prefer to look at what the scientific evidence says, which is that if you live in a country where you have access to modern dental technologies such as a toothbrush and toothpaste there is no benefit at all to oil pulling.

It probably won't cause you any harm to try it (which is more than can be said for some of the other woo treatments that sometimes get recommended to people) but given that swishing oil around your mouth is likely to be fairly disgusting why would you? A trip to the dentist would be a much better course of action.

ZaraW Sat 11-Jul-15 20:02:52

We will have to disagree it works for me, my oral hygiene is excellent but I still had problems after oil pulling things are much better and I do have regular appointments with my dentist and hygienst.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now