Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for budget primer?

(23 Posts)
Coffeecoffeebuzzbuzzbuzz Sat 11-Jul-15 08:56:13

I've recently started wearing make up more regularly and find my foundation isn't lasting. Has anyone got any good recommendations for a budget primer?
Also would a foundation brush help the make up last longer? Bit clueless and search is only showing me quite old threads.

Cheesymonster Sat 11-Jul-15 09:15:03

I love Collection primed and ready which is about £5 but I think it's been discontinued because I can't find it anywhere and its out of stock online. I'm now using Tesco Barbara Daly primer which is good but that's a tenner. So I'm watching with interest.

Brushes will give a nice finish but I don't know about lasting power. I use a dead cheap flat topped one from Amazon but Real Techniques ones from Boots are good.

I use Lanacane anti chafing gel following recommendations from MN. I'm probably on my tenth tube. IME primers can have different feels, some creamy and some not. This one is not creamy and is very similar to Smashbox.

I think it's about seven quid in any chemist.

QforCucumber Sat 11-Jul-15 09:35:16

Maybelliene baby skin or the body shop In a white tube I've found as great primers for under double wear smile

Branleuse Sat 11-Jul-15 09:35:56

www.boots.com/en/L'Oreal-Nude-Magique-Blur-Cream_1432493/?cm_mmc=pla-_-google-_-PLAs-_-Boots+Shopping+-+Category+-+Beauty

I bloody love this stuff. Best primer ive ever used. I dont always even need foundation with it

sonata1 Sat 11-Jul-15 10:22:53

I use L'Oreal Studio Secrets smoothing resurfacing primer.It is like a thick mousse. Very flattering for the more mature woman. Gives a nice glow.

hhhhhhh Sat 11-Jul-15 10:24:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ObeseDenise Sat 11-Jul-15 10:28:42

L'Oreal Lumi Magique if you want some glow/dewiness.

Body Shop All in One Instablur if you prefer a more silicon-y smoothing and mattifying effect.

Coffeecoffeebuzzbuzzbuzz Sat 11-Jul-15 10:35:15

Lots of options! smile Is the lanacane very sticky? I'd seen it mentioned on a few threads but couldn't imagine how it worked as I was imagining a kind of thick sticky gel?
I like the look of the loreal options too- my skin is quite dry so quite like the idea of dewy.

hhhhhhh Sat 11-Jul-15 13:50:34

XiCi Sat 11-Jul-15 16:51:42

A make up artist told me to use aloe vera gel and I haven't looked back. It's cheap in Holland and Barratt and better than the mac and smashbox ones I'd previously used. The Lanacane was incredibly greasy and make up just slid off but I have oily skin so it may be ok for you if you have dry skin, felt very siliconey though if youre prone to breakouts

sonata1 Sun 12-Jul-15 00:30:57

I have the Aloe Pura aloe vera gel XiCi but would never have thought to use it as a primer. it feels sticky to me on application. Please elaborate.

CalmYoBadSelf Sun 12-Jul-15 00:33:09

Agree with the Lanacane AntiChafe recommendation. It is not sticky, very smooth and a great surface for foundation

MadAngryGnome Sun 12-Jul-15 00:36:34

Haven't tried lanacane but my budget primer is Elf, only a few quid and very effective.

A foundation brush definitely helps mine stay on for longer and you get a good finish too. Just put less on your brush than you think and work it over your face with the brush. I like EcoTools brushes.

projectgreen Sun 12-Jul-15 04:24:13

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 12-Jul-15 10:26:08

Lanacane is amazing!

cosytoaster Sun 12-Jul-15 10:34:20

Another vote for Lanacane!

XiCi Sun 12-Jul-15 12:27:43

It doesn't stay sticky when it dries though sonata. There's loads of info online such as this article here if you need more info
www.salubriousexclamation.com/2012/08/how-to-use-aloe-vera-gel-as-makeup.html?m=1

BeautifulBatman Sun 12-Jul-15 12:30:46

What is your budget?

Coffeecoffeebuzzbuzzbuzz Sun 12-Jul-15 16:25:41

Thanks for all the suggestions- am in town later this week so will go with a list and see what I can try smile

MrsMarigold Sun 12-Jul-15 17:26:25

Does Lanacane cause spots?

Lanacane has never had a negative effect on my skin. It will feel quite slippy when it goes on. This is just because it is a Smashbox style primer. I find when I put my ysl foundation over the top it lasts very well also with no shine coming through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now