Talk

Advanced search

is mac lipstick worth the money??

(22 Posts)
Getuhda348 Thu 09-Jul-15 20:03:13

Newbie to lipstick so just that... and if not any suggestions ??

Brookville Thu 09-Jul-15 20:06:58

MAC has an amazing range of colours but they don't stay on my lips beyond the first sip of a drink. I haven't found an alternative. Bought a Rimmel Kate Moss one which looks nice but is a bit too fragrant. Was cheap though.

Getuhda348 Thu 09-Jul-15 20:55:53

I never remember to re-apply so no good for me then

GinUpGirl Thu 09-Jul-15 20:56:17

Nope, no staying power.

monkeysmama Thu 09-Jul-15 20:57:40

The matte Mac colours have amazing staying power, annoyingly so even. The Relentlessly Red and So Chaud last through the day and dinner on me and need a good scrub to get them off at bedtime.

Carpaccio Thu 09-Jul-15 21:23:05

I like the matte and retro matte formulas, but they stain my lips quite badly (the stain lasts until late the next day, even with a good scrub at bedtime and next morning). They last well and don't bleed on me.
The other formulas dry my lips out to the point of being painful and scaly.
I haven't tried the Mineralize lipsticks though.
I don't like the taste and smell of the lipsticks.

I do think there are many other great lipsticks on the market, the Revlon colourburst matte balm ones being one.

The cheaper brands really are getting good at doing quality lipsticks, but Mac still has a lot of colours that other brands do not.

Getuhda348 Thu 09-Jul-15 21:43:01

I will take a look at the matte ones then and the revlon. Thanks smile

everygalaxy Thu 09-Jul-15 21:44:14

Ruby woo is amazing but I find it really hard to apply. I need to get a lip brush.

southeastastra Thu 09-Jul-15 21:45:08

yes definitely

Letmegetanamechange Thu 09-Jul-15 21:50:05

I find the gloss ones have little staying power but the matte ones last all day (just don't try to eat a baguette when you're wearing bright red confused)

I love Rimmel lipsticks too, and they're cheaper smile

FrugalFashionista Thu 09-Jul-15 23:23:57

Rimmel and Kiko are very strong contenders.

Smellyoulateralligator Thu 09-Jul-15 23:27:55

I use ruby woo and it lasts all day. Sometimes I'll apply lady danger (Orange) on top for a brighter red, but it isn't matte and I end up having to reapply after lunch.
Go for the mattes.

Getuhda348 Fri 10-Jul-15 09:25:50

Thanks everyone. Matte it is smile

carrie74 Fri 10-Jul-15 09:29:01

I just prefer the colours that Mac do. I've tried some supermarket ones, but I'm not that confident, and there's not a great option for seeing how it looks properly. At Mac I can ask the assistant their opinion, tell them what I'm looking for and they have always found me the perfect colour (plus are more than happy to apply numerous colours if I want to see the effect in a proper mirror).

brakespeare Fri 10-Jul-15 09:34:51

I love Mac colours but it just doesn't last. bobbi Brown is not much better. I've moved onto nars and it lasts way way better, worth the money.

maybemyrtle Fri 10-Jul-15 11:15:20

Not imo, too drying. In any case, if you're new to lipstick try something cheaper to work out what you're comfortable with and will actually wear, eg I love the bold red look but it just does not suit me and I have tried many. Revlon lip butters are a great "starter lippie".

FrugalFashionista Fri 10-Jul-15 11:39:42

Kiko have excellent Mac, Nars, Chanel etc dupes. Velvet Mat (not totally matte but pleasant to wear) and Unlimited Stylo are both fab lines. Cheap and excellent lasting power, I am not wearing my premium lipsticks atm because these are so great.

Lottapianos Fri 10-Jul-15 12:10:07

I have the Miley Cyrus bright fuchsia lipstick from MAC - lovely colour, otherwise its fine but nothing more. I think Revlon lipsticks are just as good and half the price - I'm not wild about their Lip Butters, I mean the regular creme lipsticks

Thanks for that Frugal, excellent timing - I'm going into Kiko later to get a gift for my sister so will treat myself to a Velvet Mat and see how it goes smile

Deeznutz Fri 10-Jul-15 12:32:39

The number 7 stay perfect lipsticks are good. They do indeed stay and don't do the cat's bum mouth bleed. My favourite is Love Red but you can only buy it online. It's a great neutral bright red in a matte formulation but it doesn't dry out the lips like Mac Ruby Woo and it's easy to apply.

GeorginaWorsley Fri 10-Jul-15 12:39:24

I like Estee Lauder colour envy.
They last on my lips for better than bobbi brown or mac

FrugalFashionista Fri 10-Jul-15 12:48:54

Lotta just pay no attention whatsoenver to the product names and swatch on your hand before you buy! The Stylos are not stylos, Velvet Mat is neither velvety nor fully matte, but they are bargainous and the shades are beautiful and highly wearable! Good luck shopping!

Lottapianos Fri 10-Jul-15 12:55:58

Sounds very confusing but will concentrate hard smile Thanks again - love a bargain

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now