Talk

Advanced search

Argh! I need a permanent home colour that will cover my roots!!!

(11 Posts)
NinjaBriefs Thu 09-Jul-15 11:21:06

Ok so I dye my hair a dark brown colour. My natural colour is like an auburn colour. Whenever I colour my hair, my roots have become super resistant to hair dye, they just don't seem to grab colour or it washes out in the 2nd wash!

I've tried the VS colour & nice & easy permanent colours. I don't seem to have a lot of any greys coming through, maybe the odd stand.

The only time it seems that my roots took colour is at the hairdressers but I can't afford to go there every 6 weeks or so!

Which home hair dye is best for stubborn hair, I suppose it's like treating grey hair? I only coloured my hIr last week & my root area is showing again as if I never coloured it?!!!

ClaraDeLaNoche Thu 09-Jul-15 12:10:49

Find out the colour your hairdresser uses, buy online with peroxide, mix equal amounts in mini tub, and get a decent root brush. Also leave on for at least 45 mins. Voila!

slalomsuki Thu 09-Jul-15 12:16:58

I agree that a root brush will make a difference to get the dye to take. Prior to buying one I used to have roots that didn't hold the colour....or so I thought....but it turns out I wasn't actually putting dye on all the hair strands at the roots and hence it was fading very quickly.

PuppyMonkey Thu 09-Jul-15 12:20:09

If it helps, I've tried every home dye brand under the sun and the only one that doesn't fade out is Superdrug's own brand - Colour Performance. You can usually get it two for £7, it's always on offer. smile

abigamarone Thu 09-Jul-15 12:23:54

What does a root brush look like? Typing it into Google or eBay is bringing up stuff I'd not want anywhere near my hair.

RaisingSteam Thu 09-Jul-15 13:07:54

you want one of these - it won't break the bank

Mix the dye and activator and put into a plastic pot. Brush onto the roots in small sections like the hairdresser does. This takes me about 20 minutes so where you started (front and parting) will have had plenty extra developing time if you then start timing.

I use L'Oreal excellence but I think most permanent colours will do the trick if you apply thoroughly.

NinjaBriefs Thu 09-Jul-15 17:46:06

Thanks for the replies, I forgot to add that I do use a tinting brush & bowl, so it doesn't make any difference.

The last time I used the nice n easy one I did get a tingly scalp something I've never had in all 20+ years of colouring my hair - so instead of leaving it on for the full 45 mins as I would have done for the root area I left it on for only 20 mins.

Maraki Thu 09-Jul-15 20:53:29

Loreal Excellence for 45 mins. I'm 30% grey and it covers really well for 4-5 weeks.

berri Fri 10-Jul-15 17:06:06

I like the Excellence one too, and also Color Mask, can't remember which make it is but it leaves my hair very soft.

Preference and VS I tried recently and they both only lasted a couple of weeks.

Just out of interest, sorry to hijack, I'm never sure when to start the timer? As I spend ages covering the roots, and also have long hair, am I meant to start the clock when I finish applying everything? As this means the front roots will have had the dye on for about 10-15 mins before the clock is started??

NinjaBriefs Sat 11-Jul-15 12:38:14

I know berri, I've always wondered that too as it takes me ages to apply at the roots also, about a good 15 - 20 mins to do the roots.

I may try the excellence one and just concentrate on the root area & not bother with the lengths as they are dark enough.

RaisingSteam Sat 11-Jul-15 13:45:20

I start timing when I finish the last bit of roots- the stubbornest grey is at the front where I start so it does it no harm to have some extra.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now