Talk

Advanced search

Teachers, what do you wear?

(25 Posts)
AoifeBell Thu 09-Jul-15 10:38:25

I finally bit the bullet as decided to do a teaching assistant course and I've landed myself a fantastic work placement in a local catholic primary school.

My usual dress code is very casual with the odd cheapie day dress from primark.

So what do you wear? Are there any definite no nos? Would heels be a painful waste of time?

I've decided to get myself a "uniform" for college a la Matilda Kahl. Not sure on that yet but just know it will make my life easier grin

pinkfrocks Thu 09-Jul-15 11:13:48

what do other people at the school wear?

Your priorities are washable clothes that can withstand paint, glue, snotty kids and standing/ walking around outside in all weathers if you do playground duty.

This means comfortable shoes, nothing too expensive, nothing too revealing ( ie cleavage or tiny skirts) .

Sooo- smart casual trousers in dark shades, or black 'officey' type trousers, with a smart top of some sort ( maybe a cardigan over a smart T shirt or blouse) or the same with a skirt or dress. No sky scraper heels, bare feet or flip flop type shoes.

roaringwater Fri 10-Jul-15 19:12:59

I'd echo pinkfrocks about checking out what other members of staff wear.

I'm a teacher in upper KS2. In winter I tend towards 'work' trousers (I have a grey pair, a black pair & a navy pair), stretchy jersey tops, fitted cardigans and a variety of scarves. Ballet flats on my feet. My TA dresses similarly.

I'm not great at summer clothes but I have a couple of tea dress type things, and some smart 7/8 trousers plus a couple of tops that are t-shirt shaped but made of a flowery woven fabric so feel a bit smarter, IYSWIM.

The go-to rule for most teachers is that you shouldn't be able to see up it, down it or through it. If you're working in KS1, you definitely want to be able to sling it in the washing machine very easily and frequently; this becomes less of an issue the older they get.

(Sometimes I try to wear heels but they're usually kicked off and left under my desk in favour of ballet pumps before I've finished morning registration!!)

Philoslothy Fri 10-Jul-15 19:17:52

I was secondary so a bit different. Usually a dress and heels because it is easy.

TheTroubleWithAngels Fri 10-Jul-15 19:42:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheTroubleWithAngels Fri 10-Jul-15 19:43:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jayneisagirlsname Fri 10-Jul-15 20:10:39

Ks1 here, and I tend to wear dresses (with a high neck line) with tights in the winter and leggings in the summer. Definitely agree about easily washable, and not too hot - once the children get in the classrooms warm up a lot!

Never heels, I can't walk in them anyway, but particularly since I saw my ex-head step on a child's hand in assembly in her ridiculous stilettos - nasty, nasty injury.

Whatever you buy, have a little check it doesn't expose too much if you need to stretch, sit on the floor, bend over or crawl around. Also check you can break into a run if necessary!

DelphiniumBlue Sat 11-Jul-15 19:41:41

Check what the people who work there wear, or ring up and ask about the dress policy. In most schools you can get away with jeans and leggings if you are reasonably well presented: so not ripped or faded, but dark jeans/ leggings and smartish top, tunic or dress would be normally be fine. I've noticed quite a few !maxi dresses at school this summer.
Personally I wear a knee length Jersey dress and birkis in this weather, or nice jeans and Top if its cooler. Layers are good.

Euphemia Sat 11-Jul-15 19:44:36

you shouldn't be able to see up it, down it or through it

Love that!

Leggings are fine as long as they're not worn as trousers.

Definitely layers: I work in two schools; one is roasting and the other has roasting zones and freezing zones!

Lara2 Sat 11-Jul-15 20:13:53

No blue denim is usually the rule - lots of schools say no jeans at all. Mine is fine with them in any other colour.

Emochild Sat 11-Jul-15 20:57:00

Our school policy is no jeans although you can wear leggings under a dress

Shoes must be enclosed or fastened to your feet -so no flip flops
Heels are personal choice, personally i'm more comfortable in a small chunky heel and I've never stood on a child yet

I either wear trousers and a reasonably smart top (we have to have our shoulders covered) -I often wear a vest top underneath, or a dress just above my knees with leggings and boots

I also have a long cardigan to match every outfit grin

Drywhiteplease Sat 11-Jul-15 21:33:37

Washable.
My winter uniform is dresses and opaques.
Summer is ankle grazer trousers, ballet flats or pointy flats, sleeveless top and bright fitted cardigans cardigan.
Nothing too short, nothing too low.
Coloured skinny jeans are fine but no blue denim.
I invest in shoes, need to be comfortable and good quality.
Get a decent down filled coat and boots for winter playground duty.
I love scarves too but have to remove when paint is involved.
You can still look chic and fashionable working with children.

MaryBerrysEyelashes Sat 11-Jul-15 21:35:52

primary schools WAY different to secondary

Orangeanddemons Sat 11-Jul-15 21:37:10

I invest in shoes too. Comfortable is essential. I wear brogues, cigarette pants, blazers and a top of some sort. I avoid scarves as I don't like them and they get caught/trapped/covered in crap

Orangeanddemons Sat 11-Jul-15 21:39:16

I also have some long cashmere swishy cardis which I wear as it's always freezing where I work.

calzone Sat 11-Jul-15 21:40:15

At my school the TAs are better dressed than the teachers!

I am a TA and wear all sorts of stuff.

Linen trousers....navy & black
Tshirts and scarves
Dresses
Skirts
I love accessories too.

I would suggest buying one pair of flat shoes from Clarks and paying a bit more to be comfortable.

AoifeBell Sat 11-Jul-15 21:44:15

Some good tips here thank l you all. I'll be doing a visit next week so I'll be able to see what the others are wearing. I like cigarette pants and brouges. I'll have to invest in a decent pair.

BobbyGentry Sat 11-Jul-15 21:45:27

We have a smart formal dress code at school.

Women teachers & TAs need to wear tops with collars, sleeves, skirts below knees & covered shoes etc.
Male teachers & TAs in tie & shirts etc (jumpers v-neck so not to cover tie.)

Tend to buy classic work clothes clothes from Tescos in the sale as do not mind kids painting, vomiting & generally being kids near me as I have no attachment to the clothes.

Separate work & non-work clothes. Kids also have very strict uniform policy and it's agreed at interview you'll stick to dress policy.

MaryBerrysEyelashes Sat 11-Jul-15 22:01:17

ties

So dated. Schools so old fashioned about this

Orangeanddemons Sun 12-Jul-15 08:48:00

Things I wouldn't wear to work:

Short skits
Stroppy sundresses/tops
Sleeveless
Low necks
Backless things
Heels
Scarves
anything by FatFace or White Stuff. I hate that teacher uniform

MaryBerrysEyelashes Sun 12-Jul-15 08:50:46

I agree sleeveless not ok unless temp over 25. I'm alone in this

MaryBerrysEyelashes Sun 12-Jul-15 08:52:01

Our place thinks smart is like an apprentice contestant circa 1990.

RockMummy Sun 12-Jul-15 19:53:05

Smart casual at the school where I work. I'm a KS2 ta. I wear jeggings/coloured jeans with long sleeved tops/jumpers and dresses with thick tights in the winter and chinos with t shirts/blouses or dresses in the summer. Definitely comfy footwear too. The age that I work with are less inclined to snot/paint/puke over me so I can wear some nicer clothes than if I worked with little ones!

WhatWouldBlairWaldorfDo Sun 12-Jul-15 20:01:28

Agree with pp, nothing that you can see up,down or through.

My school (junior) is smart casual, so no jeans / leggings as trousers

Black jeans are fine, leggings under a dress are ok.

I tend to wear either

Black skinny jeans / nice top / cardy
Leggings or tights / dress
Black/navy trousers & top

Darker colours are better as they hide the muck / snot / sticky handprints better.

You spend a lot of time stretching up / bending down / leaning over kids / etc so the main thing im conscious of is cleavage / bum crack smile make sure you are fully covered

Roseybee10 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:07:29

I tend to wear either
Black jeggings with flats or boots and a jersey top with long cardi and scarf
Or
T dress or jumper dress with leggings.

I don't get too dressy but try and smarten myself up a bit more than weekend wear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now