Talk

Advanced search

I'm hairy - please help :-(

(23 Posts)
Orangelime Wed 08-Jul-15 21:01:58

Hello, I am 29 (no kids yet!)... I have always been hairy (belly, bikini line) and in the last couple of years I have dark hair under my chin. Not necessarily on my actual chin but on the underneath bit.

I've bleached if but some of it is really long and dark and in desperation I have plucked a few which has made it worse.

I have buried my head in the sand with but i am fed up now. What can I do? I have thought of threading but even though it's obvious now, I'm worried messing with it will make it worse...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

chanie44 Wed 08-Jul-15 21:12:32

I sympathise, I'm hairy in exactly the same places.

I control my stomach and bikini line through salon waxing and have laser on my face.

My drs surgery has a laser clinic inside and I pay £60 for my top lip and chin. I recently got a groupon deal which was £60 for 6 sessions. I'm not going to lie, it stings, but it's the best method, in my humble opinion.

MarinaCoyle Wed 08-Jul-15 21:27:05

I'd suggest laser too. I've only had bikini area done but results are amazing. Stings like a bugger but worth it.

Orangelime Wed 08-Jul-15 21:28:49

Thank you! Can I ask how long does the effects of the laser last for?

Also, do you have an underlying condition? I'm worried I have pcos (although hair is my only symptom of this) as starting to try for a baby soon.

prepperpig Wed 08-Jul-15 21:31:11

Ive just finished a course of laser treatment. Its very expensive if you go somewhere with decent laser equipment. I paid about £2k but that was for face, underarms, bikini and legs. I would think carefully about it because it doesn't always work. I had five treatments from a course of eight and then went on holiday and had to stop for a bit due to a work issue so didn't have any treatments for a few months. It seemed like the hair was gone whilst I was having the constant treatments but it came back with a vengeance on my chin once I stopped going regularly.

Ive now just finished session 10 on my chin. hopefully it has now gone.

purpleapple1234 Wed 08-Jul-15 21:31:58

Buy a philips lumea. Costs a fortune but it will change your life. I was like you for 20 years. Hairy nipples and chest as well. Hated hated summer and showing off skin because it meant so much hassle with hair removal. After 2 months I have no bikini line hair any longer and the rest has nearly gone. I have dark hair and very pale skin, which is the best combination for good results with the lumea. If you throw a bit of money at it, excess hair doesn't need to be a problem these days.

Orangelime Wed 08-Jul-15 21:34:27

Yes I am very pale with dark hair and so I generally have sensitive skin which makes it worse because I react to most hair removal which makes it hardly worth the effort because I either have hair or a rash

elQuintoConyo Wed 08-Jul-15 21:39:12

I have just bought a laser machine €200 for 300,000 pulses. I have very pale skin, VERY dark hair.

Shaving gives me a rash and my hairs grow back under my skin!
Waxing costs too much and leaves a red rash for 5+ days, then hairs grow back ingrown again anyway.
Professional laser treatments were too expensive for me, too.

My DSil has similar machine and it has given amazing results. I have my fingers crossed that it works well for me, too.

I'll be using it for: legs, pant-moustache and chin blush Somehow I only have about 3 hairs in each armpit, so might not bother with those.

It is an immense ballache!

Fishandjam Wed 08-Jul-15 21:39:31

Am interested re Lumea. I have a fair few moles and thread veins on my legs as well as the bikini line stretching down to my knees. How would I manage those if I got a Lumea or similar?

FoodieMum3 Wed 08-Jul-15 21:47:50

I'm in my early 30's and have the exact same problem, in the exact same places, since I was 25 or so. It seems to be getting worse all the time. I did worry about my fertility but have 3 DC conceived relatively easy, although trying for a year for one.
I never had bloods done but I guess it's hormonal.

My beautician reassures me that it's very common but that us women just don't discuss it hmm

I get my chin/jaw waxed once a month and I pluck inbetween. It's strangely therapeutic grin
I shave body hair.

Fishandjam Wed 08-Jul-15 21:49:57

I use my ancient SilkEpil on my chin blush

DextersMistress Wed 08-Jul-15 22:01:34

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago about the lumea, loads of reviews and advice. Quite a few of us bought one from the recommendations! I'll try and find it to link...

DextersMistress Wed 08-Jul-15 22:07:39

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2404609-I-HAVE-to-review-this-Philips-Lumea

WaltJunior Wed 08-Jul-15 22:15:19

There's two different kinds though IPL and then laser isn't there?? I get confused by it. I had a boots smooth skin which was an IPL 'hair reducer' it did work but has come back now - two years later. Is laser permanent then?

Wagglebee Thu 09-Jul-15 03:14:04

Orange whilst your looking into the hair removal options maybe pop to your GP for a check up if you're concerned about your fertility. Nothing you've said makes me think pcos but it's always worth while to put your mind at rest. A couple of blood tests can check your hormones and if you're still concerned a quick scan can be done.

Like I say, it's very likely you're absolutely fine but these things are worth checking out especially as you're ttc soon. smile

Orangelime Thu 09-Jul-15 06:52:09

Can I just say thank you for your advice - it's actually really nice (if you see what I mean) knowing I'm not on my own with this

chanie44 Thu 09-Jul-15 08:20:01

I have laser done every 3 months, but I wait for the hair to grow back. It has made a reduction, but I think the point of laser is that you will always need periodic sessions when the hair reduces.

I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks so I'm really ape like at the moment, as I'm planning on waxing. It's horrible.

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 09-Jul-15 08:24:35

I second a trip to the dr. I had laser treatment (about 12 years ago) that seemed to work, but when I stopped taking the pill it all came back hmm

Since then I've stuck to waxing/plucking, but am considering the lumea.

BowiesJumper Thu 09-Jul-15 08:25:50

I have the same problem. Facial hair etc (nice). I was tested for pcos but was only 'borderline' and got pregnant first go, so it doesn't necessarily mean you have it or will have fertility problems.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Thu 09-Jul-15 08:36:08

I'm so tempted by the Lumea (pale skin, blonde head hair but dark hair otherwise). Hair removal is such a PITA and it never really goes away as you can see the dark hair follicles under my transparent skin angry

Orangelime Thu 09-Jul-15 16:31:05

Yeah I will go to the GP for a blood test to see what's what!

Does waxing last? I prefer the idea of threading because my skin tends to react better (eyebrows do anyway!)....

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 09-Jul-15 20:00:41

Waxing does last longer if you get into a pattern of having it every 4-6 weeks. I supposed it's a bit like synchronising the hair growth, so they're all at the same stage, then all removed at the same time.

DustBunnyFarmer Thu 09-Jul-15 20:09:26

Waxing is a PITA when you are between waxes, particularly if you have dark hair - I could never stand the growing out phase and went back to shaving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now