Talk

Advanced search

Best harem trousers for long distance flight

(28 Posts)
kiwidreamer Wed 08-Jul-15 10:29:17

Following on from another thread it seems quite a few of us are flying long distance soon and harem's with long vest / tee were recommended as best inflight wear. I'm a large 14 but for the sake of comfort flying to the other side of the world with kids in tow I don't give a monkeys if the suit as long as comfortable!

Any recommendations for where to find the best harem's, possibly in brown colours rather than black or navy??

mothersdaughter Wed 08-Jul-15 11:02:31

I just flew for 24 hours in next harems. Black I'm afraid, but I was really impressed with them. I took a spare pair and changed after a shower whilst in transit.

mowglik Wed 08-Jul-15 13:08:40

I wore river island harems but hush harems are very soft and comfortable too - whatever you choose I would get thicker ones so you don't get cold on the plane

WhereAreMyDragons Wed 08-Jul-15 13:16:31

Definitely buy in store so you can feel the fabric. Next harems are hit and miss, I have the black (thicker, don't get baggy knees, fab) and the navy (opposite of the black). Also Warehouse ones v good quality.

WhereAreMyDragons Wed 08-Jul-15 13:17:29

Also next do a jersey tapered trouser, so not strictly speaking harem, but they come in a variety of prints and are also good quality.

Twinkie1 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:18:56

I find hush or white company to be the best. Think they come in greys, navy and black though not brown.

NKfell Wed 08-Jul-15 13:28:29

I like Next and Sweaty Betty but the Sweaty Betty ones really do have a low crotch- just a warning!

Tweezertastic Wed 08-Jul-15 13:57:06

I think m an s do some loungewear harem type trousers for £15 m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/floral-cuffed-hem-pyjama-bottoms/p/p22382281

Here m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/wide-waistband-cuffed-hem-pyjama-bottoms/p/p22330798

yazzy85 Wed 08-Jul-15 14:42:26

New Look and Monsoon have quite a few designs in at the moment.

OsloGin Wed 08-Jul-15 14:45:31

I'm looking for a pair of more narrow cut harems. I'm short and can look dumpy in the billowy ones. Are the ones mentioned so far quite narrow?

specialsubject Wed 08-Jul-15 15:27:08

not quite sure what the definition is, but make sure they aren't too long and don't have flared hems as you don't want them trailing on mucky toilet floors.

you are on a plane. No-one minds if you look like MC Hammer. smile

BabyGanoush Wed 08-Jul-15 15:37:29

you want cotton or viscose, not poly!

these look nice IMO:

[http://www.myprotein.com/sports-trousers/myprotein-women-s-harem-yoga-pants-charcoal-marl/11087993.html?utm_source=googleprod&utm_medium=gp&utm_campaign=gp_clothing&affil=thggps&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&gclid=CjwKEAjwlPOsBRCWq5_e973PzTgSJACMiEp2ig94V3l8drJYgyBaqugnSJe95IWXTDL85c_OUpRhxxoCr47w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM32xJHhy8YCFVAYGAod2vgFBw&variation=11087994]

butterfly133 Wed 08-Jul-15 15:37:35

stupid question - why are they considered the most comfy thing to fly in?

I don't have a long flight till next year but still curious. I don't own a pair. I am very short so just think I will look silly.

Featherbluedot Wed 08-Jul-15 15:51:38

I recently wore black harems on a flight which were lovely soft silky cotton type material from Sainsburys. I wore a linen dress on the way back which I prefered as it was hot.

hiccupgirl Wed 08-Jul-15 16:18:20

Next have patterned jersey tapered trousers that they term as harem pants but they're not so baggy. I've got 2 pairs (size 16) and I love them.

louloubelle2 Wed 08-Jul-15 16:23:33

butterfly133 I think the term harem is a bit misleading; harem trousers have a very baggy dropped crotched with the leg tapering to very narrow around the ankle. I know lots of the ones recommended on here and other threads aren't strictly that shape, but refer instead to elasticated waist trousers with a looseish tapered leg in a jersey fabric.

Pendantic details aside, I think that sort of general style is popular because they are as comfy as leggings or pj bottoms or joggers, but suit a wider variety of body shapes and sizes, and most importantly can be styled like a regular trouser with different tops and shoes, so you can look like you've made some effort with your clothes, and you can assimilate yourself into normal public situations either end of the flight without looking like you've spent 24hrs squashed into a aeroplane seat in the middle.

louloubelle2 Wed 08-Jul-15 16:26:39

butterfly133 I also meant to say, that as you are very short, proper harem style trousers might not be for you as the lower crotch might look a bit odd, but there are plenty of comfy elasticated waist tapered jersey trousers around and which are being recommended here, so go and try some on and see what you think.

Also, also, unlike cotton or linen, jersey doesn't creases so much so will last the flight duration and all the sitting around.

CeeceeBloomingdale Wed 08-Jul-15 17:03:15

ASOS are good, don't crease much and thick re fabric. As per above they aren't strictly harems but I think are what you are looking for

yazzy85 Wed 08-Jul-15 18:22:46

butterfly133 I think they are comfortable because they have a stretchy elastic waistband, no buttons and not constricting the tummy area..plus they are loose not clingy and do feel lightweight like pyjama bottoms.

butterfly133 Wed 08-Jul-15 18:38:32

Ah I see....I have worn yoga pants on a plane so same principle.

yazzy85 Wed 08-Jul-15 18:48:39

butterfly133 yeah its the same idea they both work well really, just different styles.

trader21c Wed 08-Jul-15 19:11:40

I've got the Next ones too and will be wearing them on my long haul flight this weekend - bargain at £22

Kasey86 Wed 08-Jul-15 19:13:21

Hush for sure,I've also got some from H&M, that was last year though so not sure if they still have them.

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 08-Jul-15 19:16:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

louloubelle2 Wed 08-Jul-15 19:16:20

Exactly the same as yoga pants yes. Lots of the shops have coined the term harem for any casual loose trouser that isn't a jean or a work trouser it seems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now