Talk

Advanced search

Silver dye/ toner on grey hair

(7 Posts)
Doza Tue 07-Jul-15 22:49:30

I stopped covering my grey a while ago and am pretty happy with the way it looks BUT I read the earlier thread about pink hair dye and quite fancy livening it up for the summer hols. I can't get away with mad colours at work sad
So I was wondering if any one has used the silver dyes from Crazy Colour or Manic Panic on salt and pepper hair? I also quite fancy the Blue Steelgrin

Doza Fri 10-Jul-15 18:28:14

Bumping for weekend trafficgrin

SmartAlecMetalGit Fri 10-Jul-15 18:35:47

I've used the silver Directions on my mum's grey hair and it was a bit disappointing really. It didn't take very well and washed out very quickly. I've found the same thing using Directions/Manic Panic/SFX on my own hair if it's unbleached, it just washes straight out.

She's had much better results using a silver shampoo (I think the one she uses is Provoke Touch of Silver), it's a gorgeous proper silver and if she keeps using it without clarifying every so often it starts to get a slightly violet tinge. It's lovely.

CainInThePunting Fri 10-Jul-15 19:08:38

Hi Doza
I've been using Provoke Touch of Silver Brightening Shampoo on my grey but dyed blonde hair. It's making a difference to the brassiness of the blonde but I've not got enough roots showing to say if it has made a difference to my grey/white bits.
I think you should go for it! If you don't have to worry about work you have nothing to lose.

I was hoping you could offer me some advice? <<cheeky hijacking biatch>>

I'm going to stop dying my hair but I can see the transition is going to be awful. How did you manage it? I really don't want to go for a crop as it just wouldn't suit me.

PartTimePunk Fri 10-Jul-15 19:36:45

Not sure about the dye, but there was a thread about a while ago called something like "silver shampoo recommendations" which had some good suggestions on it.

I bought the Bleach London purple shampoo as a result and I now have a subtle lilac tinge to the greys, and it's also done a good job of toning down the last of my yellowblonde ends.

Doza Fri 10-Jul-15 22:03:28

Thanks for the replies: I'll have a go with the bleach London shampoo then, see if that satisfies my craving for crazy holiday colour!
Sorry Cain I had shoulder length hair and I just cropped it and stopped dying it. Short sharp shock!

CainInThePunting Fri 10-Jul-15 22:41:03

Bugger.
It seems I may have to bite the bullet.

Best speak to my hairdresser then...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now