Talk

Advanced search

Outfit for a long haul flight

(44 Posts)
TheAwfulDaughter Mon 06-Jul-15 22:47:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FrugalFashionista Mon 06-Jul-15 22:59:47

I love to fly long haul in a sleeveless stretch-jersey jumpsuit. I can make it warmer with a scarf and a jacket and socks and cooler with flipflops or by taking it off altogether in the transit bathroom and putting on shorts and a light top.

Gym gear is not a bad idea either but I tend to take my loosest fitting sweatpants.

CMOTDibbler Mon 06-Jul-15 23:00:51

I fly a lot for work, always in the back of the plane, and my current go to outfit for long haul is yoga pants (from Sainsbos), a soft stretchy bra/crop top, t shirt, cardigan (in bag), pashmina (in bag), flip flops, socks (in bag).
I hate anything at all constrictive, and find I get bloated during a long flight, so room for my stomach to get bigger is important.

NuggetofPurestGreen Mon 06-Jul-15 23:02:51

I wore a stretchy tea dress on my last long haul flight with converse and cardigan. Also means you don't have to take anything off going through security. In winter I wear leggings tshirt and jumper.

Archduke Mon 06-Jul-15 23:07:22

I totally go for comfort over style.

As planes tend to be on the cool side take layers, those plane blankets are thin and horrible so a pashmina is a great idea.

Ballet flats, loose comfy trousers, t-shirt, cardigan and yy to thick socks in your bag. You need shoes that you can take easily on and off, thick socks for comfort and shoes for slipping on when you need to go to the loo.

NuggetofPurestGreen Mon 06-Jul-15 23:08:46

Like this but a different colour

LassieKillsChickens Mon 06-Jul-15 23:17:14

How about some cotton harem pants and a tee-shirt with a comfy light sweatshirt or hoodie for when you get chilly? Or yoga pants or such like - you could wear those again for relaxing at home? Sweaty Betty usually does some very comfy ones that hold their shape.

Take a cleanser, some moisturiser, toothbrush and toothpaste for an hour before you land. Unless you are flying with Emirates or Sing Air who usually provide these, and decent blankets, socks and hot towels (sounds like you are flying to SE Asia). I never fly in make up.

Minshu Mon 06-Jul-15 23:17:51

Long haul flight toilets can get grim, as are those in some airports so would avoid a jumpsuit. Yoga pants and vest top with cardi and pashmina would be my recommendation.

echt Mon 06-Jul-15 23:23:37

Make sure your footwear is forgiving, as feet often swell on long flights.

TheAwfulDaughter Mon 06-Jul-15 23:24:56

TheAwfulDaughter Mon 06-Jul-15 23:31:31

Potterwolfie Tue 07-Jul-15 00:34:30

I always wear loose fitting trousers such as chinos or even cotton/linen mix as long as it's the non crumply type. Short sleeved tshirt, long sleeved cardigan and a BIG pashmina style scarf which doubles up as pillow/ blanket/thing to hide behind when I wake up after a sleep!

Definitely slip on/off shoes as easier for going through security and for the flight. Warm socks a must.

Take face wipes, lip balm, face cream and drink loads of water on the flight. I also take something which smells nice, like a small perfume or even those tester sheets from magazines to waft around...started doing this after I spent a very long trip next to some hungover, stinky college students...so unpleasant!

Iwasbornin1993 Tue 07-Jul-15 01:12:58

I usually wear a maxi dress just with flip flops and a denim jacket that I can take off either on the plane or when we land. Comfort definitely wins over style when flying long haul for me!

vvviola Tue 07-Jul-15 01:17:59

I used to work for a very famous woman. When travelling she would, instantly on take off, change from whatever formal outfit she had worn on to the plane, into a tracksuit and runners (not flip flops if you want to get back into shoes at the end of the flight - feet swell).

My life is a lot less glamorous these days and I no longer work in that job, but I still follow her lead now (if I'm travelling with work and need to be in a suit, I pack a tracksuit to change into for the flight), otherwise, tracksuit, runners and a big pashmina in my bag. Even better if the runners are Velcro closing instead of laces - makes security much easier.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Tue 07-Jul-15 04:28:09

I fly long haul a lot and wear soft jeans or jeggings, t shirt, cardigan and take a pashmina type scarf. Normally wear Stan smith type trainers that I can slip in and off with undoing laces at security. I take extra socks with me and travel with no make up on, moisturize before I leave the house and my skin is fine until I get to my destination, can't be doing with the plastic bag of toiletries at security....

BabyGanoush Tue 07-Jul-15 07:46:14

Hush hareem pants

They are just fab.

Loose fitting tee, scarf (it can get cold at night), soft shoes (trainers ok).
Enjoy the trip!

alfieandanniesmum Tue 07-Jul-15 10:13:04

specialsubject Tue 07-Jul-15 10:40:59

loose trousers and t-shirt, lightweight fleece. (not jumpsuit, toilets get mucky soon and you'll get the sleeves in it). Trainers so you can adjust fastenings.

not flip flops, for mucky loos and the queue at the end, you'll get your toes trodden on. Also not good in the (very) unlikely even that you need to leave in a hurry.

please do NOT wave or spray perfume around. Airplanes are smelly enough and stinky fake florals may just tip someone over the edge into vomiting on you.

toothbrush, paste, moisturiser and lipsalve in the small plastic bag can make you more comfortable towards the end of the flight.

specialsubject Tue 07-Jul-15 10:42:03

oh, and if the other end is Singapore or similar; make it loose cotton trousers and have a change of t-shirt.

TriJo Tue 07-Jul-15 10:44:13

I wore yoga crops, a vest top and a light cardigan for the 10.5 hour flight from SFO-LHR when I was coming home from my honeymoon. Was ideal really. Had board shorts, t-shirt and light hoody on the way over.

janinlondon Tue 07-Jul-15 10:52:21

Is it just me who finds that toilet floors (eeeeuuuw - unisex on a moving aircraft - you can imagine) are not something I want to drop any part of my trousers down towards? People come out with tide marks around the bottoms of their trousers. And then presumably sit there for the rest of the flight with soggy ankles smelling of God knows what. It is vile! No No No to any trousers that don't have elasticated ankles!!!

AmberFool Tue 07-Jul-15 11:08:12

I get really cold on flights and there also tends to be quite a lot of static so I always dress in natural fibres. Loose and adjustable is the way to go. And yes, to your own scarf/blanket. And don't wear ballet shoes - you wont be able to get your feet back into them.

AmberFool Tue 07-Jul-15 11:09:18

jain not just you. I roll up my trousers before I head to the loos.

janinlondon Tue 07-Jul-15 11:12:01

Amber - that sounds like a plan! Or wellies. Might wellies be a really good option for long haul......!?

rookiemere Tue 07-Jul-15 11:20:05

We're flying to Canada tomorrow ( woo hoo!) and I've got two potential outfits for the trip.

One is a pair of navy linen trousers with a relaxed cotton shirt top thing (am hoping new one arrives from Boden today), or instead a blue & white striped tunic with a pair of blue leggings. I'll definitely be wearing my fitflops ( brown leather coloured ones so hopefully not as offensive as some) as they are so comfy for travelling. I may bring a pair of socks for the flight.

My big style tip is don't wear white. I was wearing a favourite white t-shirt when DS threw up all over me on the flight over to France for skiing last year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now