Talk

Advanced search

does anyone never wash their hair with shampoo

(18 Posts)
Salmiak Mon 06-Jul-15 13:44:12

Please talk to me about this. Dd has always hated washing her hair, and after 5 years of tantrums about it I'm considering ditching the shampoo and going nopoo. What will I need to do to keep her hair fresh?

Sazzle41 Mon 06-Jul-15 13:51:37

Can she not sit in the bath and lean back into the water if its getting water from a shower or water jug on her face thats the issue? Or buy one of the polystyrene face protectors with added hand towel over her face for any drips? Or is it the combing out tangles after? (cheap pound shop conditioner, masses of it).

I'd say dry shampoo but its had bad press lately for causing skin irritation and scalp acne: i found it doesnt get all the dirt/grease out and after a few hours your hair goes limp again and it leaves a fine greasyish deposit of its own that then gets greasy.

SaveOurBogBrushes Mon 06-Jul-15 13:52:06

I would say that going No Poo will cause far more problems than quickly washing it with shampoo. For a start most people have to wash their hair with a mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar or similar to get it clean, some use a 'scritching' method to clear their scalp followed by washing it with water and some conditioner and all sorts of different methods.

GobblersKnob Mon 06-Jul-15 13:55:41

What SOBB said, no poo can be good for improving the condition of curly hair especially, but it is faffy and takes way longer than washing with shampoo. you need to clean the scalp with loads of manual labour, it takes ages.

How old is your dd? Mine hates hair washing, but if she moans then I tell her she can just have it cut very short then it won't be a problem.

SaveOurBogBrushes Mon 06-Jul-15 13:56:16

www.naturalparentingtips.com/child-health/poo-haircare/ If your child has very curly, dry hair then I can understand better where you're coming from. If it's fine and thick they're quite likely to develop a hamsterish smell if you go no poo. There's quite a few nasty-free shampoos on the market these days that i'd reckon would be less faff.

Salmiak Mon 06-Jul-15 14:01:44

sazzle we have tried everything! Leaning back in the bath, face protectors, uwater jugs, using the shower, avoiding getting her face wet, bribery, reward charts, sweets, brute force, EVERYTHING

once a week we have our battle to wash her hair. However last weekend we were so busy with birthday parties that she was asleep by the time we got home and same again this weekend. So she's now gone 3 weeks since she washed her hair, and actually it looks clean, healthy and shiny. Remarkably it doesn't smell and seems to be easier to comb through in the mornings. This is why I'm considering going no poo with her for a while

SaveOurBogBrushes Mon 06-Jul-15 14:02:20

BTW l'oreal kids shampoo (if that's what you're using) contains Sodium Laureth Sulphate which dries out hair and causes tangles, you're probably going to want to look for something without that ingredient in it.

Salmiak Mon 06-Jul-15 14:07:11

We have a plethora of various shampoos for her, but I'll check them for sodium laureth sulphate. Bizarrely she'll happily splash round in a swimming pool, the bath, and paddling pools it's just when the dreaded washing hair time comes round that we have a meltdown. In the last 3 weeks her hair has been drenched in the paddling pool and Apple bobbing.

Sazzle41 Mon 06-Jul-15 14:17:49

I am thinking this is more about a control 'battle' after you said she doesnt mind getting her hair wet otherwise. I am not into giving in , in such cases as then you are expected to give in re. other things and it escalates. But we all parent differently. I'd probably say no TV that night then. But i is horrible! My friends LO didnt like having her hair washed: she soon gave in when i told her she couldnt come see my new kitten unless she caved. I also found our my friend didnt use conditioner so the painful tangle issues was massive. Pound shop visit sorted that.

Toooldtobearsed Mon 06-Jul-15 14:27:29

A few years ago there was a spate of articles from people who had given up washing their hair at all.
No water, no shampoo, nothing but brushing.

Apparently (according to them), their hair first got greasy, then smelly, then beautifully shining and healthy.

It probably makes some kind of sense, but if I remember rightly, you could not, under pain of death, get your hair wet, ever again, or else the whole process had to start again.

From memory, it took 6 weeks or so?

Wonder how many of them gave in and went back to a shampoo and set [grin}

greensnail Mon 06-Jul-15 14:28:25

I only wash dd1 (age 6)'s hair when I've had to use nit treatment on it. She has very thick, curly hair which we cut to shoulder length a year ago when trying to look after her hair was causing us all a lot of stress. I spray it every morning with a mixture of conditioner and water then comb through and leave it. She swims regularly so it gets wet then. It looks lovely, she gets lots of compliments on her hair and it definitely doesn't smell.

BeakyMinder Tue 07-Jul-15 04:30:42

Me & my husband are no poo, it's great!
Wash with water every other day & comb/brush a lot. I use a tiny amount of shampoo maybe once every 2 months.

Aged 5 there is really no need to shampoo at all as their hair is not greasy at that age. Water is fine to get out dirt etc. But no poo does require more maintenance in some ways (eg much more brushing) so maybe chop short while she's little.

DulcetMoans Tue 07-Jul-15 05:56:30

DH hasn't used shampoo since we were at school so about 15 years now. Not sure what made him decide but he did. It took a few weeks to go from greasy looking to normal but it's fine now.

He just scrubs with water when he showers - but because he is scrubbing it (with his fingers mainly) it still needs attention and takes a bit of time so not sure if that would solve your problem. Depends if DD just hates shampoo or also the process of washing her hair too.

antimatter Tue 07-Jul-15 06:43:58

does your DD hate to put her face under water when swimming as well?

Salmiak Tue 07-Jul-15 18:31:31

Good to see there are some no-pooers out there. Dd is fine getting her face wet and her hair wet, she just seems to have a phobia of shampoo and conditioner.

I had her hair cut to shoulder length at the weekend, and think i will continue with not washing it but just rinsing it off with water and massaging the scalp. If it starts to smell then Ill probably go back to insisting on a 'proper' wash but I will see how it goes.

Naoko Tue 07-Jul-15 18:39:21

How old is she? Could she wash it herself? I hated having my hair washed when I was a child, my mum was gentle and careful but it always felt really horrible. Fine once I grew up enough to do it myself, it's a sensory thing.

Salmiak Tue 07-Jul-15 20:38:23

nako she's 5. I agree its a sensory thing, more than anything else (I don't believe its a control battle as stated upthread as she's hated it since being a little baby)

trixymalixy Tue 07-Jul-15 23:25:43

My DD is 5 and has hair down to her bum and I've never shampooed her hair. She gets some conditioner on the ends and then she lies back in the water to wash it off. Her hair always looks lovely and doesn't smell at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now