Talk to me about Spanx and the like

(19 Posts)
kiwidreamer Sun 05-Jul-15 21:57:16

Will they just push my lumpy bits up over the top and out the bottom? Will they severely restrict movement / ability to breath?

I have a wedding to attend, dress is fit and flare but even after loosing 25lbs these last six mths I sill have a pouchy tummy so maybe its time to admit I need a bit of help! I'm a large 14 / sometimes 16

FelixFelix Sun 05-Jul-15 21:59:35

I have a control slip from M&S which is amazing. Seriously, it's probably the best thing I've ever bought. It's the type that has straps but you can wear your own bra with it. It smooths everything down very well (I am the same size as you with a fat stomach and hips) and it's very comfortable to wear all day. Doesn't ride up either. I think it was about 20 quid.

Mamabird3 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:03:55

I'm not sure if you have one near to you, but my local home bargains was selling genuine spanx (I can't remember which ones they are but they are mid thigh to bra) in black and nude for £4.99. I personally think they're great and will be buying more, especially at a fiver! Definitely worth a look if you can get to a home bargains!

FelixFelix Sun 05-Jul-15 22:22:20

Mama I noticed yesterday that ours had them too! Such a bargain

MagicalHamSandwich Sun 05-Jul-15 22:28:35

I own a whole array of control garments to go underneath certain types of clothes. They really do smooth everything down nicely! I'm a size 8 but have a decidedly pear-shaped bum that tends to stretch pencil dresses in all the wrong ways.

If you're worried about tummy fat either get a whole slip or go with a pair of control pants that end above your waist. The ones with a really tight band around the natural waist tend to result in a somewhat elevated muffin-top. Not a good look!

kiwidreamer Sun 05-Jul-15 22:34:27

Ooh I do love a Home Bargains bargain! I will check them out as soon as I can, tho by Wednesday I guess they will be cleared out.

Thanks for M&S suggestion too Félix will take a look now smile

Jewels234 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:37:40

I recently bought their Boostie Yay corset...but you can see it under most things. It is super comfortable and does the job though. Also have bought the giant standard Bridget pants of theirs. All in all, expensive but worth it.

FelixFelix Sun 05-Jul-15 22:55:26

This is the one I have. Slightly more expensive than I said actually, although I have had mine about 4 years so did pay a bit less. Would definitely recommend if you can't get hold of Home Bargains Spanx smile

Roseybee10 Sun 05-Jul-15 23:08:21

Spanx are incredible. They smooth everything for me and make me feel so much more confident.

RaisingSteam Mon 06-Jul-15 00:25:06

I've found control pants always roll down, the best has been a wear-your-own bra body (swimsuit style). It was actually comfortable and stayed put despite the 1980s style crotch poppers.

I do fear that this is the next logical step...

cosIsaidso Mon 06-Jul-15 00:51:52

RaisingSteam I fear you may be correct, although my bigger than average thighs will ruin the lines under any kind of clingy skirt, I need one that goes down to my knees.

Roseybee10 Mon 06-Jul-15 02:20:48

I amazed my Spanx don't roll down.

Alwaysrushingaround Mon 06-Jul-15 08:13:39

Ladies can I ask what size you buy the slips in? If I'm a ten in a dress do I stick with that or go up a size for comfort - ie a wedding dinner which could bloat me! Tia

FelixFelix Mon 06-Jul-15 08:19:29

I bought mine in a 16 (when I was very slightly bigger than I am now, large 14) so if you're on the border of two sizes I'd probably go for the bigger one. You don't get the problem with things rolling down if they are too big or small with the slips so I don't think it would matter too much if you get a bigger size. I still have to squeeze myself in to mine anyway just because that's the nature of control underwear! It isn't uncomfortable though.

Alwaysrushingaround Mon 06-Jul-15 08:25:39

Thanks so much x

burnishedsilver Mon 06-Jul-15 10:28:33

Spanx brand is much more comfortable to wear than any other brand I've tried. I bought mine pretty cheaply in tkmaxx.

MrsMarigold Mon 06-Jul-15 10:38:10

spanx are the rolls royce of compression garments as the material is thin. But the slips are better if you are prone to UTIs or thrush

GizzyTiedToATree Mon 06-Jul-15 11:29:20

I own a couple of "wear your own bra" control slips that go down to my mid-thighs. I love them - they make me confident enough to wear wiggle dresses even though my thighs are ridiculously big (two sizes bigger then the rest of my body).
I have one from M&S that makes my waist look tiny, and one from M&co which is a little better at smoothing out my outer thighs.

kiwidreamer Mon 06-Jul-15 12:42:50

Can I wear a slip version if my dress is fit and flare, it doesn't seem right, perhaps the bodysuit type would be better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now