Talk

Advanced search

Where to shop for tall 11-year-old DD?

(22 Posts)
SchnitzelVonKrumm Thu 02-Jul-15 23:13:42

My DD1 is 11. She is tall for her age (though not unusually so) but otherwise not physically mature. She has basically grown out of all last year's summer clothes and I'm at a loss where to find new things - the kids ranges (Gap, H&M) seem to stop at 13 and then there's womenswear or a few polyester-heavy "Teen" collections, all of which are too fashiony for her taste (she likes to be comfortable) and the wrong shape for her (and expensive, especially as she is still growing). This problem is becoming urgent with the school holidays approaching - where do you buy clothes for your young teenagers?

Sexyfothermucker Thu 02-Jul-15 23:17:27

Watching with interest. My 13 ds is 6ft. Can't find trousers long enough for him anywhere. Shops just don't cater for long legged teens!

ouryve Thu 02-Jul-15 23:27:41

What sort of size would she be in womanswear? Simple sporty tees and tops would be fairly easy in smaller woman's sizes, I would think. I don't know how big landsend's biggest girl's size is, bt DH is just about growing into their biggest bot's size for length and I can squeeze into some of his tops as a chunky size 14-16! They cut fairly generous.

Agree with sexy about trousers, though (particularly for boys - DS1 currently 25" wait and 29" inside leg, which I've noticed have grown longer in recent weeks). They're the difficult ones. Summer is easier, as cropped pants and shorts don't have to be a particular length. As a waistless middle aged women, I find next's cheaper skinny and slim jeans and their joggers cater well for my lack of curves, so they might also be good in smaller sizes.

While I'm on a roll - shoes in a size 6 for boys? aaaaaargh! So many kids' ranges stop at 5, while adult ranges don't start until 7 in a lot of places. At lest girls do have some overlap in shoes!

ouryve Thu 02-Jul-15 23:29:09

Look at next girls online, too - go up to age 16, I think. The boys' stuff does, anyhow.

FionaGallagher Thu 02-Jul-15 23:45:46

Topshop has a Tall section.

Clueing4looks Thu 02-Jul-15 23:52:18

My dd is 11, 5ft 6 and size 7 shoe. She fits in size 6 or 8 adults so she chooses stuff from primark, h&m or select. Some of the larger Sports direct have some nice cartoon/tv show logo t shirts at the moment too if she's into that kind if thing.

burnishedsilver Thu 02-Jul-15 23:53:21

I can only answer for boys clothes. Hollister and Superdry and occasionally Boden are the only places I've managed to find small waists with long legs. Superdry is expensive but the sale section in Hollister is pretty good. It might be worth seeing what their girls clothes are like.

As for boys shoes in a size 6 - we stick with nike. The black leather trainers would pass as school shoes. Every other brand was too wide if we managed to find a 6. Nike also do a 5 1/2, which is a rarity. My boys are both size 10 now and its still difficult as mens shoes are too wide for a teen foot.

mysteryfairy Fri 03-Jul-15 06:30:42

My DD is 13 and 5ft 8. She has just got a big collection of stuff from Pink (teen bit of Victoria's Secret). It's very casual sporty wear and all their sale stock is 75% off. It's cut quite oversized in general and some of the necklines require boobs but at about £4 a t shirt it's worth a sift through if you can get to a branch. Starts from extra small.

At 11 to avoid polyester DD got the biggest size from Zara kids and Johnny B is cut for a child like body and goes up to 16. H and M also goes up to something like 14+. Has some awful stuff but some good 100% cotton basics. Hollister extra small also a good source of cotton sporty clothes - again sale is in full swing.

DD now favours top shop and urban outfitters as well as the above. I do think their sizes 4 and 6 might work.

YouMakeMyDreams Fri 03-Jul-15 06:44:33

Dd is 11 and 5'6 h&m do actually do a 14+ size buy a lot of that next online do up to age 16. New look for leggings and vest tops. Matallan have a teenage range but can be hit or miss. Primark ladies section is also not bad. They do loads of character stuff too and plenty casual basics.

fredabear Fri 03-Jul-15 06:49:20

My tall 11yo twins are wearing a mix of new look/h&m/next 14-15 ranges for trousers and jeans and xs tops and sportswear from gap, sports direct or primark ladies range. H&m have nice jersey shorts and basics range that go up to 14/15.

IcecreamHavoc Fri 03-Jul-15 06:53:43

I can't clothe my 11 and 14 year olds anymore in M& S and have written to suggest they look at their sizes. As per the cm my son should fit, he doesn't and there is a huge difference. Long legged PJs are above the calf.

BHS does up to 17 in boys. Not looked at girls yet.

I can't get school trousers for DS and refuse to pay the £££ from the school shop when they ripped. Cheap ASDA ones have been prefect. They are about £6 a pair.

I want my children to dress appropriately, not as mini women.

My dd has a couple of size 8 t shirts from Next plus some from America (design choice, not size issue) and wears them with 13-14 jogging a from M&S. She is eleven.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Fri 03-Jul-15 13:41:09

I want my children to dress appropriately, not as mini women

This, exactly. She is 11, she is a child, and it's not even as though she is freakishly tall, there are several girls in her class of the same height or taller.
Why don't shops cater for older children? They have changed women's clothing sizes to reflect the fact that people are taller and heavier so why not apply the same logic? Apart from anything else I don't want to buy women's clothes that are liable for VAT for an 11 year old, it's expensive!

SchnitzelVonKrumm Fri 03-Jul-15 13:45:15

Forgot to say thanks for all your help!

beachyhead Fri 03-Jul-15 13:50:37

New Look do an 8-15 age range and we've used that quite a lot in the past. Also second Johnnie B, especially in the sale.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Fri 03-Jul-15 13:51:28

Oh and re: long legs - I am a 45 year old woman and still get the RAGE at "longer length" trousers with a piddling 33" leg angry

SchnitzelVonKrumm Fri 03-Jul-15 13:52:21

Yes I have bought her some Johnnie B dresses in the sale!

Dancergirl Fri 03-Jul-15 14:21:01

Yes to Johnny B especially in the sale.

And H and M ladies wear are good for tops etc. My slightly older dd shops there. And not expensive even with the VAT!

Mygardenistoobig Fri 03-Jul-15 17:59:55

I think it's new look that does the 913 range for 9 to 13 year olds.

IcecreamHavoc Fri 03-Jul-15 18:18:47

Are the clothes in New Look age appropriate? Not mini teens, young women style?

Mygardenistoobig Sun 05-Jul-15 22:29:42

Haven't bought much there but did buy school trousers and flat sturdy lace up shoes for dd.

Mygardenistoobig Sun 05-Jul-15 22:30:05

She chose them btw.

4Pumpkin2 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:34:16

Fat Face age 12-13 kids clothes are quite generous so might be worth a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now