Talk

Advanced search

Festival wear - help!

(10 Posts)
BigChiefThunderThighs Thu 02-Jul-15 18:54:42

Need to come up with an outfit for a festival and would be so grateful if some stylish people would point me in the right direction! Only going for the day so don't need to worry about camping etc. haven't been to one for years and I'm afraid I'm very much in a rut with my clothes and not very trendy any more! I really don't want to look frumpy and out of place. I'm 31, size 16, carry weight on my stomach, have heavy legs so no shorts, not keen on my arms either. I sound like a lost cause [wails]. I would love to put together a stylish, flattering outfit with layers to accommodate the changeable scottish weather! Oh and will be 9 weeks pregnant so bloating is an issue blush

frankietwospots Thu 02-Jul-15 20:59:34

I'm a completely different shape to you so sorry if this is bonkers but I'm thinking the tassle/pom pom trend is great for festivals. This top for example:

www.next.co.uk/g4d118s2#995540g30

Alternatively a maxi dress?
www.east.co.uk/broderie-anglais-dress-white/

Or this: www.east.co.uk/lace-tiered-linen-dress-blue/

Or this: www.east.co.uk/ikat-maxi-jersey-dress-purple/

with a necklace like this? www.east.co.uk/glass-bead-tassel-necklace-pink/

helenbowas40 Thu 02-Jul-15 21:01:03

I've just been to a festival and I wore loose domesticated waist patterned / flowery harem pants with long sleeveless tops from Next. I hate my arms and honestly I didn't care. Converse or flip flops (when it was sunny and dry), walking boots the day after it rained overnight. I carried a big sweater for the evening and a poncho in a backpack. Wore lots of bracelets and wished I felt young enough (as you definitely are) to wear a flowers in my hair.

helenbowas40 Thu 02-Jul-15 21:02:25

Domesticated ???? Hahaha !
Elasticated !

BigChiefThunderThighs Thu 02-Jul-15 21:04:44

Oooo thank you for suggestions! I hadn't considered a maxi dress - so that's a new avenue to explore! Also I like the patterned harem pants idea - I could get away with quite a plain top if my trousers made a statement!

BigChiefThunderThighs Thu 02-Jul-15 21:05:06

Also lol at domesticated grin

helenbowas40 Thu 02-Jul-15 21:42:31

They're cool and comfy and to be totally honest, I didn't see one single maxi dress. Not one. I suppose it depends on the festival, but you would have looked a tad over-dressed where I went.
A lot of my pants will be forever called domesticated now. What a Freudian slip wink

ohidoliketobe Thu 02-Jul-15 21:50:12

I can't comment on style but I've been to a fair few festivals over the past 15 years on both day and full weekend tickets.

Maxi dress at a festival? ? I would not advise. It'll get trodden on constantly and I personally would not want to even begin to negotiate a portaloo with 3ft+ of skirt to hoik up around me.
For just a day yes to those loose ish almost hareem but without the dropped croch type of trousers. Or leggings and longish line top. I take a long pashmina type scarf for cover up, a hoodie and a beanie hat in my bag for nightime, and a pack a mac type of thing in case of showers (I take either a messenger style or a backpack - I've got a fab teal and beige polka dot one from accessorize). I wear converse (as I find them comfy) or if there's been any rain the days before or it's forecast for their day - either wellies or walking boots. No open toes - again do you really want to be navigating the sludge outside the portaloo in sandles? That's piss that is. . .

BigChiefThunderThighs Thu 02-Jul-15 22:54:44

Oh absolutely with you on the portaloos! My only definite so far is closed shoes!

IJustLostTheGame Fri 03-Jul-15 07:33:43

A poncho? One of the knitted type ones and a floaty Boho top underneath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now