Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to go shoeless is an office?

(50 Posts)
gemmababe35 Thu 02-Jul-15 13:23:41

Just wondering with the hot weather if this is acceptable?

I am unsure, but my daughter does it all the time.

CMOTDibbler Thu 02-Jul-15 13:25:39

No. Ok to slip your shoes off under your desk if no one can see your feet, but not to walk around

milliemanzi Thu 02-Jul-15 13:26:37

Depends what kind of office! Fine in a casual one I reckon. I'd say bare feet is rank, just socks is okay if your feet don't stink.

Superexcited Thu 02-Jul-15 13:28:30

Depends what kind of office you work in. An informal office with just a couple of staff members who couldn't care less and it would be fine. A big office or one where customers come in and it wouldn't be fine.
If she has manky feet it wouldn't ever be fine.

DontKillMyVibe Thu 02-Jul-15 13:28:46

No. Slipped off under your desk is fine as long as they don't smell but def don't walk around or inflict the sight of them on others. It looks really unprofessional IMO regardless of how casual an office may be.

SunnySomer Thu 02-Jul-15 13:29:14

15 years ago I sat next to a woman who liked to go shoeless at work, and the smell of her completely rank feet is still a hideous, festering itch in my nose.
(If yours are fragrant and lovely, and your feet are kept under your desk I reckon it's ok though)

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 02-Jul-15 13:29:21

No. Not ever, never. Apart from looking unprofessional, when was the last time you saw anyone giving an office floor anything but the most cursory hoover?

Snowberry86 Thu 02-Jul-15 13:31:09

Ha ha, another one of these threads!

Shoeless is fine for me, I wear heels to work but take them off in my classroom to teach a lesson. However it would seem the majority of mumsnet found this totally unacceptable and unprofessional! I still do t, still had no comments or complaints.

gemmababe35 Thu 02-Jul-15 13:37:41

What do you teach in then?

VolumniaDedlock Thu 02-Jul-15 13:39:45

I guess it's ok if you're not sharing.

I share with three others. None were in yesterday, so I took my shoes off underneath the desk while I typed a report. Caution - I struggled to get them back on again due to the heat.

Snowberry86 Thu 02-Jul-15 13:41:44

Gemma- I usually wear tights so teach just in them. Or if I'm in trousers then I have socks on sometimes. I rarely go totally bare foot as the carpet can be dingy!

LemonYellowSun Thu 02-Jul-15 13:42:16

Why cant people just wear sandals instead?

gemmababe35 Thu 02-Jul-15 13:45:30

Snowberry - has anyone said anything.

That's what my daughter does. She works in a letting agency and goes in tights or socks all the time even in front of clients.

In the winter she took slippers in!! When I ask her about it she says she doesn't like wearing shoes indoors.

BeaufortBelle Thu 02-Jul-15 13:47:05

No, it isn't fine. It breaches health and safety regs. Treading on: Drawing pins, staples, stbbing toes, dropping stuff on bare feet. "oh yes, the filing draw came out of the runners and broke my toe/foot because I had no shoes on and my company won't pay me contractual sick pay for six weeks because I was in breach of the dress code and H&S regs that I signed and didn't read when I joined".

I'd probably waive the rule and let you be paid but I wouldn't have much sympathy for you I'm afraid. Flip flops aren't acceptable either imo.

stripytees Thu 02-Jul-15 13:47:43

This topic seems to come up every few months!

I work in a really casual office and wear sandals - my feet look great, always pedicured etc. but it would just seem weird to walk barefoot. And the floor definitely never gets cleaned properly, sometimes we do a test and see how long a specific bit of something is left on the floor and it is weeks...

I did once work in a very small office that was more like a flat - due to the nature of what we did, our volunteers did overnight shifts in there. In the summer both me and my boss used to sometimes walk around barefoot but we were both in our early 20s at the time. For any meetings with others I would always have worn my shoes.

Becauseicannes Thu 02-Jul-15 13:56:40

Yes - if your office is at home. Otherwise no. It's completely unprofessional.

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Thu 02-Jul-15 14:00:45

yet another thread about shoeless in the office hmm

no - its totally minging to not wear shoes in the office, its fine if you must under your desk, but i dont want to see your feet, ew

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Thu 02-Jul-15 14:28:40

No, it's not ok - everyone else walks around in shoes and the floor gets filthy, for one thing, so your feet would be black after five minutes. It's just unprofessional, as well. There's a guy at work who walks around in his socks and everyone else stares at him and mutters quietly to each other about it

specialsubject Thu 02-Jul-15 15:17:59

no. Buy suitable shoes for the weather that don't hurt. It's not hard.

pictongirl12 Thu 02-Jul-15 15:45:32

Snowberry,

I used to teach and did that as well.

I started doing it when there was snow and took my boots off and fetched my slippers in to wear.

pilates Thu 02-Jul-15 15:55:29

No, it's gross and unprofessional.

burnishedsilver Thu 02-Jul-15 15:56:49

No.

Volenflo Thu 02-Jul-15 15:59:52

It's vile.

Lottapianos Thu 02-Jul-15 16:00:17

I do sometimes, but only between my desk and the filing cabinet i.e. about 3 paces. Feet are always extremely clean and beautifully pedicured. I wouldn't walk around all day like that but if you're not going far and your feet are very presentable then it wouldn't bother me

StickyProblem Thu 02-Jul-15 16:01:22

Flipflops are £2 in Asda, there's no need to imprint foot sweat directly onto an office carpet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now