Talk

Advanced search

Dry straw-like lightened hair - please help!

(16 Posts)
HappyGirlNow Thu 02-Jul-15 13:16:00

I've recently started lightening my hair - it had to be bleached then toned because it'd previously had a permanent dye on it... So I've had it lightened about the last 3 times I've been to the hairdresser.. As well as this I'm trying to grow it a bit longer - it's currently just by shoulder level - so just getting small trims..

This combined has made my hair quite dry and I think it looks a bit straw-like at the ends.. Short of cutting a fair bit off the length, is there anything I can do, any product in can use that will take away the dry look at the ends and make it all look lovely and glossy?

TIA flowers

honeysuckleclimber Thu 02-Jul-15 13:20:40

Sorry I have nothing helpful to add, I have the same problem. I love my hair lighter, my hair does not love it! Horrible ends and breakage! sad so just gonna hang out here and see if you get any great advice I can steal grin

Catswiththumbs Thu 02-Jul-15 13:26:30

People will charge and say coconut oil, which will help, but what you really need is a protein reconstructor. I like the redken extreme range. Your hair is porous and stretchy (like mine!) after bleaching.

Goes without saying, don't brush when wet, avoid heat and if you are tempted to lighten roots yourself be careful not to overlap the bleach onto the already bleached bits.

Trims are always a good idea anyway.

SmartAlecMetalGit Thu 02-Jul-15 13:28:34

I found Joico K-Pak Reconstructor worked absolute wonders on my over bleached hair.

HappyGirlNow Thu 02-Jul-15 15:18:53

Thanks smart I've ordered some of that Joico stuff off amazon grin

MamaLazarou Thu 02-Jul-15 15:40:46

Aphogee 2-step protein treatment. I recommend it so many times on S&B that I should start claiming commission!

HappyGirlNow Thu 02-Jul-15 16:33:03

Thanks mama I may well give that a try too!! grin

AMcoffeeLover Thu 02-Jul-15 17:25:10

Coconut oil! grin its good as a "maintainer" but won't sort out damage. I like Umberto Gianni mask, always works for me

HappyGirlNow Thu 02-Jul-15 18:03:10

Thanks coffeelover - do you think almond oil would work as well? I have that in the house..

AMcoffeeLover Thu 02-Jul-15 18:12:13

I've tried it, it worked but took weeks to get the residue off my hair! Wasn't worth it in my opinion.

HappyGirlNow Thu 02-Jul-15 18:14:37

Ah thank you - so is coconut oil lighter?

AMcoffeeLover Thu 02-Jul-15 18:21:25

Its thick but washes off easily

ZaraW Thu 02-Jul-15 18:56:14

I would alternate one week use a protein treatment and then the following week hydrating.

MoustacheofRonSwanson Fri 03-Jul-15 00:20:35

This stuff works a treat. You can get it in a sample size too to try it. Rinses out very easily.

grisclair Fri 03-Jul-15 00:39:52

MamaLazarou, can I ask if you wash out the Aphogee treatment as soon as you have dried your hair or do you leave it on for longer? I have only used it once so far and my hair didn't look or feel any different. Wondering if I need to do anything differently or if Aphogee is just not for me....

I'm hearing great things about Olaplex but haven't tried it myself.

HappyGirlNow Sat 04-Jul-15 14:02:47

Update. I ordered both the Joico and Aphogee stuff using Amazon Prime. Was going out for dinner yesterday after work so didn't have a lot of time so used the Joico stuff (as the Aphogee seemed more of a faff) and... It is AMAZING! My hair honestly feels silky and smooth today, like night and day from what it was grin thanks so much smart

I'll try the Aphogee when I have more time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now