Talk

Advanced search

When did you start wearing spf / sunscreen daily?

(34 Posts)
gablir77 Thu 02-Jul-15 01:33:07

Just wondering about what age you all made a commitment to daily sunscreen, if you ever did summer and winter, indoors and outdoors. What kind of sunscreen do you use daily and do you think it has made a difference to the age you started to see lines and wrinkles?

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Thu 02-Jul-15 01:53:21

I've used a daily factor 40 on my face (come winter or summer) since seeing a dermatologist for mole removals in 2012 when I was 32. I've noticed an improvement to my skin (less freckles and melasma, less spots and greasiness, clearer generally and no new wrinkles). I use an antioxidant vitamin c, zinc based one made by my dermatology clinic. In the day I simply but a serum underneath the sunscreen and no need for moisturiser

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Thu 02-Jul-15 01:59:11

I've used a daily factor 40 on my face (come winter or summer) since seeing a dermatologist for mole removals in 2012 when I was 32. I've noticed an improvement to my skin (less freckles and melasma, less spots and greasiness, clearer generally and no new wrinkles). I use an antioxidant vitamin c, zinc based one made by my dermatology clinic. In the day I simply use a serum underneath the sunscreen and no need for moisturiser

OwlAtEase Thu 02-Jul-15 02:05:51

I started using a moisturiser with spf15 on my face every day when I was 14, thanks to my mum. I'm in my 30s now and do have fine lines but I think that's a hydration issue, nothing to do with the sun. I'm glad she told me to look after my skin from a fairly young age.

puffinrock Thu 02-Jul-15 06:20:48

Use it now and again but not regularly. I am 30 with no wrinkles yet. I don't really sunbathe though.

Floisme Thu 02-Jul-15 06:57:24

I started when I was about 30. I'm 58 now and don't have many wrinkles but my face is sagging like a bulldog's arse.

Floisme Thu 02-Jul-15 07:23:26

Sorry, I didn't answer any of your other questions blush Yes I wear it all the year round, indoor and outdoor - otherwise I'd probably forget to use it. I started with Olay spf15 and now use separate moisturiser and sunscreen, currently Ultrasun Face spf30.

Yes I think it's made a difference as regards preventing wrinkles but there are many other signs of ageing.

GaryBaldy Thu 02-Jul-15 07:49:00

I've pale Irish skin so stay out of the sun as I burn easily. I started using SPF moisturiser when I was 40 (5 years ago).

I've aged more in the last few years but I think that's just down to being in my 40s

hooliodancer Thu 02-Jul-15 07:54:44

I started at about 24- Clinique city block, now use Boots no 7. In winter I just use an spf moisturiser. I use ultrasun on holiday which is amazing stuff. Just about to put it on now in fact!

It has made a difference. I have very few wrinkles. But sagging is an issue!

WipsGlitter Thu 02-Jul-15 08:00:53

I've used factor 15 on my face from I was 25. I use a daily moisturiser with it. I have a few lines but overall pretty good skin. I try to wear sunglasses too as squinting makes the lines worse I think!

AalyaSecura Thu 02-Jul-15 08:06:09

I've used a daily 15 spf for about 20 years (now early 40s). In summer I now use a 40 spf. Hard to know the impact, but most people assume I am about ten years younger than I am. Wish I'd used it on my neck and hands though! I have old hands.

hiccupgirl Thu 02-Jul-15 08:12:27

I've used various moisturisers with at least spf15 in since I was around 25. I'm 43 and while my face is def starting to sag a bit, I don't have many wrinkles yet and people usually assume I'm around 35. But that could just be genes rather than sun protection.

IJustLostTheGame Thu 02-Jul-15 08:53:37

I've used daily spf since I read the caroline hirons thread blush

GaryBaldy Thu 02-Jul-15 10:05:01

Just to add, I wished I had used it ages ago.

I make the DCs wear sun cream religiously.

GobblersKnob Thu 02-Jul-15 10:09:18

Hardly ever use it, just regular sun cream when on holiday or long day in the sun, so probably use an spf on my face 30 days of the year?

Age 40, pretty much no wrinkles, no other signs of sun damage.

AalyaSecura Thu 02-Jul-15 10:25:24

I should add that after blood tests, my GP found that I was vitamin D deficient, so as well as taking supplements, I do now deliberately spend time in the sun as much as possible - but exposing my arms and legs. I still spf my face.

DinosaursRoar Thu 02-Jul-15 10:43:00

I didn't think about it as such, but from around 22 when I started using moisturiser (didn't bother with moisturiser when younger), i used one with a SPF in, then I started wearing 'proper' foundation daily to an office job (rather than being bare faced execpt for nights out as I had been before that), the one I started using had SPF in it.

I didn't every conciously think about wearing SPF daily - it was just snuck in by using brands that included it. I only swap my body loation for sun cream when it's very sunny.

hauntedhenry Thu 02-Jul-15 10:44:43

I spf my face with factor 50 in summer (I live in a hot country) and use factor 30 bb cream all year round. I started in my 30s, now 42. I don't bother with my body unless I'll be out in the sun all day. I never really sunbathe - don't enjoy it.

hauntedhenry Thu 02-Jul-15 10:45:18

I slather it on my children, though!

martikaskitchenaid Thu 02-Jul-15 11:21:23

SPF30 - 50 on my face/exposed bits of my body during summer since I was at school, and moisturiser with an SPF (which I know doesn't give the same protection as a sunscreen) during the winter. I live far enough north that the winter sun is pretty negligible, and I'm always VitD deficient anyway, being very pale skinned and not a fan of the sun at the best of times. I'm 40 and am flatteringly often mistaken for early 30s, but that's probably just as much down to genetic luck and decent amounts of sleep!

5446 Thu 02-Jul-15 11:31:32

Used daily SPF in a moisturiser since I was 15.
Dedicated high SPF on face, neck and hands since I was 22 and moved to the tropics.
Wear it daily unless I am having a duvet day and definitely know I'm not going out or near a window grin

25 now so not expecting to see the impact for another few years.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 02-Jul-15 11:49:25

a 25/30 from the ages of 30s onwards (but always used a SPF 15 before) - wish I'd known about higher ones earlier.

Body I am woefully inadequate some days and better the next - SPF 25/30 etc... and then 20.

I have freckles which must be sun damage but apart from that no or very few wrinkles (not really seen any) on face and 43. but good genes from both sides of family as far as I know/saw.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 02-Jul-15 11:50:33

PS - what if anything helps sagging on face etc area?

specialsubject Thu 02-Jul-15 12:51:46

nothing except surgery.

I've been wearing daily sunscreen April to October (or southern hemisphere equivalent) since I was about 30. Looking quite good 20 years later although that could just be genes, I don't have a clone and a time machine to check. But I have seen the effect of regular unprotected sunblasts on others, and I'm convinced.

Pagalee Thu 02-Jul-15 12:57:39

I used moisturiser with SPF 15 from my early twenties onwards.

Switched to a proper factor 50 sunscreen every day in my mid thirties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now