Talk

Advanced search

Clothing for covering up outside - that doesn't look awful?

(22 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Wed 01-Jul-15 23:42:28

So I am having to spend a couple of hours a day outside in the hot part of the day now, largely walking, and I'm becoming aware that my factor 50 isn't entirely cutting it. My skin is already looking damaged sad

It's made me think that I really need to actually cover up.

I'm hoping to find...

A hat I can wear for walking - ie something practical with straps that would offer shade

Some lightweight cotton tops with highish necks and three quarter or long sleeves

Stuff that looks classic rather than frumpy, and good quality /natural materials.

Any thoughts on where to start looking? confused

RevoltingPeasant Thu 02-Jul-15 21:55:37

Bump - anyone?

JinglyJanglyJungleBigGameTours Thu 02-Jul-15 22:00:43

I quite like Royal Robbins for travelling and walking holidays without feeling like a gap year student. It wears well and I have a couple of very comfortable tops and skirts. Might be worth a look.

FadedRed Thu 02-Jul-15 22:01:43

Edinburgh Woolen Mills

RevoltingPeasant Thu 02-Jul-15 22:03:59

Thanks both! smile would never have thought of EWM and haven't heard of Royal Robbins so v useful.

BlueEyeshadow Thu 02-Jul-15 22:05:34

100% cotton from H&M - I have several tops like this, and find them light and airy.

5446 Thu 02-Jul-15 22:16:06

ASOS have some lovely long sleeve tops that are 100% cotton, cool and floaty but no frumpy. Have a search for Vero Moda on there.

RevoltingPeasant Fri 03-Jul-15 23:01:52

Thanks smile

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Fri 03-Jul-15 23:09:33

Tilley Hat.

'Nuff said.

suzannecanthecan Fri 03-Jul-15 23:53:49

tops with highish necks and three quarter or long sleeves

I would also like to find some lightweight tops with higher necklines, they all seem to have low necklinessad
I want to keep my upperchest area covered over so it doesnt go any more all red wrinkly and crepey

suzannecanthecan Fri 03-Jul-15 23:56:49

eg
www.royalrobbins.co.uk/womens-c2/short-sleeve-tops-c9#page2

Royalrobbin 'sun protection' clothing all have deep and/or wide necklinessad

AlisonBlunderland Fri 03-Jul-15 23:57:58

Another vote for tilley hat.
Mine has a secret pocket inside crown for emergency £10 note!

JinglyJanglyJungleBigGameTours Sat 04-Jul-15 00:25:31

I have some light scarves that I use to protect my neck and chest when wearing. lower cut tops. I find it easier to layer up and down to keep cool (plus I don't suit round neck t-shirts) so if I've got my back to the sun I can take the scarf off.

RevoltingPeasant Sat 04-Jul-15 22:29:25

Suzanne, yes, that's exactly the problem!

I am quite fair with pale freckly skin, blue eyes etc and I have been noticing how the skin on my feet looks creamy but on décolletage area, damaged. Am not quite 36 sad

Will check out Tilley Hat!

RevoltingPeasant Sat 04-Jul-15 22:39:05

Ah, have just reminded myself of L L Bean - US company but sell over here. Suzanne, have a Google - any use to you? smile

RevoltingPeasant Sat 04-Jul-15 22:43:13

eg this shirt from L L Bean

Beachcomber Sat 04-Jul-15 22:52:32

I live in a hot place and I like to cover up with a light cotton sarong worn over shoulders and neck on top of a vest top. Really comfy and stops you burning. Like a shawl IFYSWIM

suzannecanthecan Sat 04-Jul-15 23:06:45

décolletage area yes, afaik it is the one of the thinnest area's of skin and it's position means that it is 'presented' to the suns rays whenever uncoveredsad

thanks for the LL Bean suggestion they have some round necks but as far as I can see the summer weight tops all have bigger necklines

probably lightweight collarless shirts are the best thing to go for?

SomeKindOfDeliciousBiscuit Sat 04-Jul-15 23:40:49

One of the dads at school works in skin laser surgery & he told me the other day there's no point in going with anything above factor 30 as it just sits on top of the skin and doesn't do what it should. Thought I'd just throw that in, in case it helps too!

ouryve Sat 04-Jul-15 23:48:28

Fatface is good for lightweight natural fibre cover ups. They have a sale on, at the moment! I have some higher necked stuff from M&S, but none from this year, oddly enough. If I absolutely had to cover up in stronger sun than the 7/16 max for half an hour a year that we have here, I'd probably wear big shirts.

I'm hoping for some good hat suggestions, mind. The only ones I saw today that I liked were £65 in rather big men's sizes. nothing against men's hats, but everything against £65 for something I might wear 3 times a year in a head size 1/2" too big even for my huge noggin.

BlueEyeshadow Sun 05-Jul-15 21:20:40

ourvye I'm enormously big headed too and ended up buying a men's trilby and then sticking a big flower on it. Came from Debenhams, so not £65.

BikeRunSki Sun 05-Jul-15 21:32:05

Rohan Tilley-type hat, £24

UV protection shirt

UV protection t shirt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now