Talk

Advanced search

The DC don't like my toenail colour, which is a plum version of rouge-noir

(16 Posts)
BitterChocolate Wed 01-Jul-15 15:24:59

I liked it when I chose the colour, but now I'm wondering if it's a bit dated. But I like a strong, warm colour that isn't pink, bright red.

Can anyone recommend a burnt orange that is strong and glossy but not garish?

AMcoffeeLover Wed 01-Jul-15 15:58:24

Sally Hansen has a great range smile

Lottapianos Wed 01-Jul-15 16:49:49

Your DCs have no taste wink That colour sound fabulous

I absolutely love Hip Hop from Rimmel - lovely rich coral, so easy to apply

BitterChocolate Wed 01-Jul-15 17:39:59

I'll check both of of those out, thanks. I had them done professionally (because I'm too cack-handed) but, although she had about 30 colours, not many of them appealed to me. If I can find the perfect one I'll bring it with me next time.

CointreauVersial Wed 01-Jul-15 18:10:48

Is there such a thing as a "dated" nail varnish shade? confused I thought pretty much any colour goes, particularly the reds/pinks. Classic, no?

(Anyway, what do your DCs know? Mine would have me wearing leggings, crop tops and clumpy shoes grin).

ShuShuFontana Wed 01-Jul-15 18:18:00

well, the guy who delivered the dog food liked my toes....

rainbow..red/yellow/green/blue/purple (not enough toes or polish for orange and indigo)

I was a bit taken aback when he commented!

BitterChocolate Wed 01-Jul-15 19:26:54

Reds and pinks are classic, but I don't like reds and pinks. I can't remember when Rouge-Noir first came out, but it might be as long ago as the 90s. There was a huge fuss about it at the time, I remember there were waiting lists for it. A lot of people get sort of stuck in the things that were massive when they were in their twenties, so I thought perhaps my fascination with very dark polish might date me IYSWIM.

BitterChocolate Wed 01-Jul-15 19:33:25

The DCs are often surprisingly astute with fashion. DD pays attention to what people wear and how they wear it, and DS can accessorise me far better than I ever manage to do for myself. Which is why I thought I would double check with you lot. grin

CatOfTheGreenGlades Wed 01-Jul-15 19:37:58

I think yours sounds great, but I love a strong orange too. My fave at the moment is Essie Meet me at sunset

BitterChocolate Wed 01-Jul-15 19:44:32

That's lovely Cat, and Alligator Purse from Essie looks great too.

43cupsoftea Wed 01-Jul-15 19:44:43

I love deep reds, plums and deep pinks. They suit my skin. Although I did have a similar moment this week and thought I needed something up to date and summery. I love Essie polish, so I bought one of their Sumer special editions, it's a pale peachy pink. Haven't tried it yet!

Buttwing Wed 01-Jul-15 23:01:26

I feel your pain! I always end up going back to a rouge noir type colour in fact have just used it to paint my toes. I'm going for shellac on my nails in the morning I'm determined to go for something more summery but will probably come back with the usual!

I did try a pale grey a couple of weeks ago which was ok-ish. not as nice as dark red

burnishedsilver Wed 01-Jul-15 23:43:37

It sounds lovely but very wintery.

CatOfTheGreenGlades Thu 02-Jul-15 11:14:24

Ooh OP I've come back to say I've just bought newly out Red magazine which comes with a choice of 4 nail polish colours. I've got a lovely coral which I'm going to try on my toes today.

MadAngryGnome Thu 02-Jul-15 11:50:23

Meh, I like a deep plum colour, I don't think it's dated at all. Nails Inc have a good range. I'm wearing a pastel peachy orange of theirs at the moment which is lovely and summery.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 02-Jul-15 11:53:28

Alligator Purse looks gorgeous...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now