Talk

Advanced search

Please help and over weight overheated desperate woman

(29 Posts)
Savethesm Wed 01-Jul-15 15:01:10

I was very ill for most of 2014 and went from a size 8-10, to a size 16-18. I'm 5"11 and I feel grotesque.

I have been putting summer to the back of my mind pretending it's not going to happen and now here it is and I am sat in black jeans which are wringing wet with sweat. I have no idea what to wear in this heat.

I am only in my 20s and I like fashion. I went to Next today in the hope of a solution and (I'm really sorry to any fans!) but I cried and cried when i left. I'm not ready for floral maxi dresses. My legs are the worst part of me too. no shape whatsoever, just trunks of solid mass.

please help?

Rosieliveson Wed 01-Jul-15 15:06:24

I'm a size 18 and I'm pregnant so am super hot!
I wear linen trousers and vests, maxi dresses with a super fine shrug to cover my arms if I go out. Don't feel bad about yourself flowers

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 01-Jul-15 15:12:17

Next have got some gorgeous soft printed 'hareem' type trousers (I;ve been unning and aahing over them but I'm trying to step away from black/navy)

Or (and I know it goes down like a lead balloon on S&B) leggings and a long cotton tunic. Has to be easier to wear than jeans at the moment.

H&M have some really nice long tunics (I'm not a fan of H&M really , a lot of synthetic, but this is quite floaty, it needs a cami top )

Uniqlo have some nice cotton/cotton mix tops and dresses.

Last year I had a very painful gallbladder and I cannot for the life of me remember what I wore over my belly (still can't wear jeans) .
I have clothes that I liked and bought and stashed away, the problem is what to put on the bottom half .

glitteryflange Wed 01-Jul-15 15:14:30

I feel ya!

Black jersey midi/tube skirts with peplum tops and pretty sandals. I'm wearing that today and feel ok. Not great as so bloated but ok.

I'm a size 18.

0ddsocks Wed 01-Jul-15 15:14:31

Harem pants?

Something like this - www.hippyclothingco.co.uk/products/aladdin-harem-pants#.VZP2C4akrCQ

Wishful80sMontage Wed 01-Jul-15 15:16:49

Yes to harem trousers I'm tall too and they are fab and lovely and cool.
Next tall do them but are sold out in all patterns bar one floral and the plain black ones.
New look tall do them as well but they call them patterned joggers.

Wishful80sMontage Wed 01-Jul-15 15:17:46

I wear with vests if I'm brave but I don't like showing my arms off boo-hoo have great slouchy t shirts in atm

Savethesm Wed 01-Jul-15 15:52:31

Thanks all. I have tried harem pants and they looked absolutely ridiculous. I have seen them look nice on some people.

I will look in H&M for floaty tunic tops and leggings. I feel absolutely hideous.

BlankXpression Wed 01-Jul-15 15:55:31

Plain maxi dresses, or tee-shirt style maxis.

3/4 trousers in a light material (I'm sure Next do some decent ones?) and a long, floaty vest top.

New Look, H&M, possibly some of the plainer stuff at Evans?

If I were you I'd buy at least one cool, light outfit, even if you don't love it. You can't wear boac jeans in this heat, you poor woman!

MonstrousRatbag Wed 01-Jul-15 16:00:53

Try and get linen or cotton things. Jersey and viscose I find too hot and clingy. Ditto polyester.

Shirts are much cooler than T-shirts.

A cotton bra will help enormously-try the Bravissimo website.

Also, exposing a lot of skin doesn't necessarily make you cooler, especially if you are out in the sun.

My go-to (and I'm a similar size at the moment for similar reasons) in this wea\ther is huge white linen shirt over cotton or linen trousers.

Biglaugh Wed 01-Jul-15 16:00:54

Feeling your pain flowers

If you are tall then linen trousers in full leg or crop are the way forward - dare I say M&S are good - and they have a sale on so check out their website.
Also Boden have got some lovely sleeveless shirts and other longer tops and they are cotton and they have a 50% off sale.
I too have legs that shame me to catch a glimpse of.
When you change size/shape it is just a question of adjusting and finding stuff that fits.
Good luck and remember you are more than a shape! wink

hiccupgirl Wed 01-Jul-15 16:58:58

I'm a 16-18 and look fine in the Next Harem trousers but I'm much shorter and tbh they are far too hot for this weather. Today I had a sleeveless top and a maxi skirt from Monsoon.

Savethesm Wed 01-Jul-15 17:04:04

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

I think the problem is coming to terms with being a different person. i'm never shopped anywhere like Next or Monsoon or M&S - it was all Topshop and Zara or Amercian Apparel and Urban Outfitters if I went to the city.

It's a case of totally changing who I am and how I look and it feels so strange. Has anyone bought from ASOS Curve range?

TheBreeze Wed 01-Jul-15 17:13:15

I would probably look on Next tall, for some linen or linen mix trousers. Depending on your height though the XL may be long enough, I'm a 33.5" inside leg and wear the XL length. Also GAP tall has some broken in straight leg Khakis which are quite flattering and some cropped tailored trousers.

Next also have a lot of tunics which are in a longer length and Boden have some lovely sleeveless shirts in the sale which Biglaugh mentioned upthread.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 01-Jul-15 17:22:07

Sorry you are struggling OP.

I have bought from ASOS Curve and like it. I also like New Look and Yours Clothing for plus size.

I tend to buy loads online (on an interest free creditcard so I can wait for the refund) so I can try lots of different styles and sizes etc and generally find a few nice bits that I keep.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 01-Jul-15 17:23:31

Yes, I've bought from the ASOS Curve range and their sizing is VERY GENEROUS. I even had to send back a pair of jeggings (elasticated, I know!) because they were falling off me in my usual size.
However, I do appreciate the videos and natural fibres (viscose is a natural fibre BTW) and the young styling. Returns are free, too.
I'd give it 8.5 out of 10, not bad!

MonstrousRatbag Wed 01-Jul-15 17:24:21

It's a case of totally changing who I am and how I look and it feels so strange.

Oh God yes. I am online trying to find an outfit for a wedding and I am finding it difficult in all sorts of ways.

DomesticDrudge Wed 01-Jul-15 17:28:17

What about a jumpsuit? M&S has a good selection (I've got a chambray one I've been wearing alot) and with your fabulous height you'd look great in a wide-legged jumpsuit.

2fedup Wed 01-Jul-15 21:16:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fruitscone Wed 01-Jul-15 21:20:49

These harem pants larks - every single pair I have seen parading in town has made its owners arse look HYUGE. And this is what it does to normal slim-ish people. If I wore harem pants it would not be a good look (and the unsupported wobble could well set off a Tsunami.)

Savethesm Fri 03-Jul-15 15:30:42

I think the harem pant is a good look for when your over weight but top heavy. If you're bottom heavy like me I don't think they're a good idea.

So, I did a huge ASOS order of which I will mostly be returning - free returns smile

But I got a couple of bits that don't make me feel too many hundreds of miles away from myself. I particularly like a white floaty top (past my knees) with slits up to waist length. And a purple/ navy swing dress (again to be worn with the dreaded leggins!). Some of it was HUGE though!

FraggleHair Fri 03-Jul-15 23:29:24

I agree fruitscone that harem pants make even a smallish bum look much fuller and wobblier. No way I'm putting them on!

Fleecyleesy Fri 03-Jul-15 23:35:52

The fabric is the key IMO. People who live in hot countries do cover up quite a bit (presumably to protect skin from sun) but with the right fabric. I once heard a Spanish lady complaining about the lack of baby/toddler pjs in the uk suitable for v hot weather, all the wrong fabric.

By the way I'm sure you are not grotesque at 5 foot 11 and size 16-18.

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Fri 03-Jul-15 23:38:51

You're hardly grotesque at size 16 and 5'11". And I don't know why you're looking at Asos Curve when it starts at 18 and the main Asos range goes up to 18.

Savethesm Sat 04-Jul-15 07:35:34

From an 8-10 to a 16-18 I feel it.

Asos standard stuff may well go up to an 18 but it's not cut for larger women. Same in high street stores I've tried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now