Talk

Advanced search

My hair's about 50% grey but when I get it coloured at a salon it fades to orange. What can I do?

(36 Posts)
grenedeer Wed 01-Jul-15 13:26:17

I'm 46 and have thick (as in lots of it, and each strand is thick and wiry), slightly wavy hair. I don't need to dye it but it's really aging if I leave it. At the moment I don't have a regular hairdresser but each time I get it coloured (permanent dye) it starts off ok but after about 4 weeks fades and gets a rusty looking tinge and looks obviously dyed. I'm perimenopausal and my hair and skin is getting drier and drier so my hair is also quite frizzy and the opposite of sleek which makes it look and feel even worse.

A couple of years ago I had a really good hairdresser (who moved, curse her!) and my hair didn't seem to react in the same way. From memory she also seemed to have more sample colour charts so maybe I need to go to a more expensive salon who have different products???

Any advice would be very welcome. I don't feel ready to embrace the grey quite yet but am sure my hair can look better than it is.

grenedeer Wed 01-Jul-15 13:30:10

I'm naturally medium brown by the way and want to try and recreate that <unadventurous>. Would I be better with a semi-permanent?

chockbic Wed 01-Jul-15 13:30:27

I have the same type of hair, easily damaged.

What about trying a demi permanent colour? They blend grey more than totally cover, which looks more natural. Also leave your hair shiny and in good condition.

grenedeer Wed 01-Jul-15 13:42:30

Thanks. Thinking about it, I'm sure that's what I used to do, and the fact that the grey wasn't totally covered made it look multi-toned rather than one solid block, but then someone advised me to get a permanent because of how much white there was. It doesn't seem to work though - looks too dark at the beginning, is ok for about a week, and then fades too much. And yes, I seem to remember the demi-permanent used to make it a bit shinier whilst the permanent really dries it out.

chockbic Wed 01-Jul-15 13:44:21

Depends where you go really. Some salons will use extra coverage demi permanents. I find they last 2-3 months, fading gradually.

nipersvest Wed 01-Jul-15 13:52:35

most hair dyes will fade orange/red, the red is the strongest pigment so is the one left behind, so as a colour fades with washing, it will end up going more orange.

have you tried a toning shampoo?, my hair is dyed ash blonde and i use a purple shampoo which, won't stop it from fading but helps keep the colour cool.

LaCerbiatta Wed 01-Jul-15 13:53:47

Don't think a semi colour will work well on 50% greys. It won't give a natural blended in look, it will just fade near the roots and go really dark in the ends where the hair has been coated several times.

I use inoa in the 5.0 or 6.0 shade. It's very very natural. The .0 means it's an ashy tone with zero reds in it so it will not go orange. You can ask at the hairdresser for that shade or an identical one or buy it in amazon and do it yourself.

grenedeer Wed 01-Jul-15 14:48:40

Thanks, LaCerbiatta, those colours look good. Are there any tips to colouring at home? I could give it a go over the summer holidays so it won't too much if I get it wrong.

Mimigolightly Wed 01-Jul-15 15:05:52

A couple of questions for the OP: what is your natural colour, what colour are you trying to achieve and what brand colourant is your hairdresser using?

Without knowing the answers to these questions I can say that you definitely need a permanent colour that is specifically designed to cover between 50-100% of greys. You will get much better results in a salon than at home, assuming that you have a hairdresser that actually knows what they're doing and knows the products. I use Majirel colours and always get good results although every colour will fade after a few weeks. You can use a colour specific shampoo to help with fading.

LaCerbiatta Wed 01-Jul-15 15:23:25

I do it at home and get really good results. You need to get the developer, a good brush and a small bowl.
I start by applying around the hair line, then the roots: part hair in the middle with the pointy end of the brush and apply to both sides. Then make another parting parallel to the first one to the side and apply. Repeat until all the roots are done. Then i wait 40 mins, spread to the lengths of the hair with the brush and remaining dye, comb really well and wait another 10mins. That way i get a really even and natural result, slightly darker in the roots than the ends like natural hair is. I actually prefer doing it myself as i know how it works for my hair. They never get it right in the salon....

sonata1 Wed 01-Jul-15 15:35:17

Why not got for highlights and lowlights? There is obviously copper in the colour you are using and you may need some base colour with it.

ChilliAndMint Wed 01-Jul-15 15:42:58

I colour my own hair too. I find the best colorants are made by Schwarzkopf .

WonderWomansSister Wed 01-Jul-15 16:39:55

Over the years, me and my hairdresser have tinkered to stop the orangey fade when I have my hair dyed darker by taking the 'warmth' in the base colour down a fair few notches. My hair reacts unkindly to dye anyway, so it's taken a while to get right. Might be worth a go for you? Or go fabulously lighter? wink

grenedeer Wed 01-Jul-15 17:46:29

Mimi, if you're still reading this, my natural colour is medium brown with the tiniest hint of horse chestnut and I'm trying to recreate the medium brown. Often the hairdressers will suggest something 'warm' because you can still just about see the horse chestnut. My hair does seem to take a while to absorb the colour so I have to sit for a long time. In the past I haven't used a colour specific shampoo because I've been concentrating on the dryness so I'll try that.

Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions.

crumbleofblackberries Wed 01-Jul-15 17:49:38

This used to happen to me too. My hairdresser started using a double pigment colour (I think its called). The same colour as before, but has much more actual pigment in the mix. It has solved the problem. Maybe you could ask yours.

Mimigolightly Wed 01-Jul-15 18:34:11

If you're a medium brown, then I would think your base colour would be about a 4 or a 5. To increase the warmth in that, you would need to add golden (0.3) or Copper (0.4). As it's fading to orange, I would avoid anything with copper in it. In majirel colours I would recommend something like a 5.32 which is Light Iridescent Golden Brown.

Tinkerisdead Wed 01-Jul-15 21:17:27

Sorry OP can I hijak your thread as I have EXACTLY the same problem and Mimi you've given such good advice I'm wondering if I tell you my colourings etc could you help me get the right thing from my hairdresser too?

Mimigolightly Wed 01-Jul-15 21:28:36

Well you can try! I only know the Majirel colours though.

Tinkerisdead Wed 01-Jul-15 23:24:56

My hair is naturally a dark ash blonde/light ash brown. I had one of the colour consultations with House of Colour and i'm a deep summer so I suit cool colours and dont need "warming up".

My hairdresser uses a goldwell colour 5sb which gives an ash blonde/brown with the new fangled silver hint. Sometimes it comes out quite blue which I hate. Anyway, it lasts maybe two weeks(permanent hair colour) and every time I'm left with brassy orangey hair. I'll see if I can post a pic.

It's just not holding a colour, its costing around 80.00 every six weeks but i want a dark ash blonde/ash brown.

Tinkerisdead Wed 01-Jul-15 23:25:54

Ignore my wrinkled brow you can see my natural roots which have some grey. Im 36 but greying!

Mimigolightly Thu 02-Jul-15 08:49:21

Hey Tinker - in Majirel you would definitely be either a 6.1 Dark Ash Blond or 7.1 Ash Blond. The reason your hairdresser uses the silver is that it takes any brassy tones out of the blond but, as it's ash, it shouldn't have a brassy or orange undertone. You can get the same result by using a Touch of Silver shampoo and it shouldn't come out blue. Find yourself a salon that uses L'Oreal Majirel.

Mimigolightly Thu 02-Jul-15 08:50:33

BTW - I've had to cover up my greys since my mid twenties but it runs in my family as my dad started going silver when he was 16.

MilkThistle187 Thu 02-Jul-15 11:11:05

I was just about to start a thread about majirel, hope you don't mind the hijack OP!

mimi I have a similar problem, naturally dark brown, every dye gives me the Orange glow which I hate and my roots come through after about 2 weeks. I'm looking for a colour with no warmth, I love the 5.32 you recommended but would that still give a 'glow' do you think? Would I be better off with just 5? Thank so much ��

Mimigolightly Thu 02-Jul-15 11:26:01

If you are naturally dark brown then Anything with a 5.0 base may be too light. In Majirel, 3.0 is dark brown, 4.0 is brown and 5.0 is light brown. Having said that, if they use 30 vol peroxide you would be able to life your base colour by a couple of shades.
Maybe try 4.32 - I wouldn't have a regular 4.0 or 5.0 as it gives quite a flat result.

MilkThistle187 Thu 02-Jul-15 11:36:09

I wouldn't mind going a shade lighter, you don't think the golden element of the 4.32/5.32 would end up orange?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now