Talk

Advanced search

Surprise holiday in ten days time - help me pack?

(11 Posts)
VandaLonely Sun 28-Jun-15 20:38:52

We're going to Mexico totally unexpectedly. I have no suitable clothes - don't really do summer or holidays. I usually live in jeans and a t-shirt - if the weather is warm I wear slightly shorter jeans and lighter t-shirt!

Please help - what shall I buy and where shall I buy it from? Thank you.

VandaLonely Mon 29-Jun-15 08:52:21

Anybody? Please? <begs>

catzpyjamas Mon 29-Jun-15 09:01:23

I went holiday shopping yesterday. Like you, I live in jeans and t shirts constantly but where we are going will be too hot for that. I bought a pile of vests, loose t shirt shaped tops in light materials, 2 swimming costumes and shorts, cropped trousers and long baggy light trousers. I bought all in 3/4 colours so I can mix it all up. I also bought most of it in Primark as I grudge spending on clothes I will probably not wear much once home. Camisole tops were £1.80 each!!
You will probably need a couple of swim suits, cover ups (they had some gorgeous kaftan things in New Look) and try to make sure things can be worn more than once eg. Plain bottoms with mix of coloured tops?
Have a fantastic time!

LassieKillsChickens Mon 29-Jun-15 09:03:20

Lots of sales on at the moment. Can you get to the shops? A good department store (John Lewis or HoF) would be a good option. Phase Eight have lots of maxi dresses and other stuff in the sales. Some flip flops, smart sandals for evenings. Cropped cotton trousers? White Stuff have some nice tee-shirts in a good range of colours.

burnishedsilver Mon 29-Jun-15 09:17:27

It sounds like you're not likely to wear any of the holiday clothes again, in which case I'd suggest Primark.

Babymamamama Mon 29-Jun-15 09:32:18

Anything cotton cotton cotton! Loose t shirts. Couple of sun dresses. Either long maxi or knee length. Vest tops v cheap at primark. Shorts maybe though I'm never brave enough to wear these. Swimming cossie. Sales have started early this year so you might get some proper bargains at the department stores. Or m and a sale shop. Good luck hope you have a lovely hol.

PrimalLass Mon 29-Jun-15 10:19:02

This is my list, based on what I actually wore on holiday rather than what I took:
4x evening outfits
3 x swimwear (strapless tankini x 2)
3 x pjs
1 x pull on shorts
1 x beach tshirt
2 x beach dresses
1 x beach shoes
1 x other sandals
Black dress for travelling

carrie74 Mon 29-Jun-15 11:53:56

Mexico will be v v hot and humid. Concentrate on swimming stuff, shorts, vests, maybe one or two dresses that could be worn for day or night. I'd also suggest Primark for basics.

GrimDamnFanjo Mon 29-Jun-15 16:31:06

There's a great website use for packing ideas travelfashiongirl.com gives ideas for climate as well as clothing capsule ideas.

VandaLonely Thu 02-Jul-15 07:52:10

Oh I'm so sorry for not replying sooner, forgot I'd started thi.

Thank you so much for your replies, very helpful. And I will have a look at that website later. Hitting the shops at the weekend so all your advice will be remembered!

SuperFlyHigh Thu 02-Jul-15 15:33:17

I would (for evenings) look for a nice dress or two. H&M have some stupidly cheap ones that look nice on not going to link as there a few here.
www.hm.com/gb/products/ladies/dresses_jumpsuits/short?searchOrders=price_asc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now