Talk

Advanced search

Would it be ok to wear this swimwear?

(25 Posts)
samtheant Sun 28-Jun-15 18:57:57

I've got a swimming party coming up with my young DCs. Owing to their age I'm going to have to get in the pool with them.

I don't like traditional ladies swimming costumes for various reasons.

Do you think it would be ok to wear a bikini top with a rash vest over the top and men's board shorts at a public pool?

WishUponAStar88 Sun 28-Jun-15 18:59:00

Yes I don't see why not smile

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sun 28-Jun-15 19:00:13

Um. Not sure. If you feel like you want extra coverage, there are some good swim-skirt suits out there (Lands End) or I saw a skirted swimsuit in Asda today. Have also seen them in Matalan.

specialsubject Sun 28-Jun-15 19:05:11

why not? (unless you are in a country where they don't allow shorts in the pool, I think this is France) Ladies boardies might stay up better, though.

there are also the boyleg one pieces from sports direct, don't disappear where they shouldn't and cover the things that a normal adult female has and wants covered.

samtheant Sun 28-Jun-15 19:14:32

Great thanks. smile
I'm in the UK so shorts should be ok I think.

samtheant Sun 28-Jun-15 19:24:24

It's gender neutral swimwear I'm after, I dislike clothes that show off my body (so nothing clingy or low cut etc) or anything markedly feminine. I'm struggling a bit with swimwear!
If anyone seen anything else that might be suitable I'd be grateful for the input.

PrimalLass Sun 28-Jun-15 19:40:52

Animal do nice ladies board shorts.

Samtheant Sun 28-Jun-15 19:48:34

Thanks I'll have a look. I'm looking for something fairly plain, baggy and knee length-ish.

Samtheant Sun 28-Jun-15 20:04:01

Sorry if I'm being thick smile but
the men's shorts seem to be more the style I'm after. If I get ones that fit and don't fall down, is there any reason I shouldn't wear them? Are they constructed differently to the ladies ones?
I know nothing about this stuff, sorry if it's a stupid question!

herecomesthsun Sun 28-Jun-15 20:10:20

swim tees and cover ups

also swim shorts

board shorts

Landsend used to do longer ones, which might be available possibly at a clearance outlet, maybe you could ask them?

longer, not sure if they are for swimming

surfdome

Toffeelatteplease Sun 28-Jun-15 20:12:52

Wear what you are comfortable in.

Dismalfuckers Sun 28-Jun-15 20:15:44

Tbh, I think that will make you look weird, unless it's cultural/religious reasons.

Can't you find some swimwear that looks ok?

Samtheant Sun 28-Jun-15 20:23:40

Thanks for the links, I'll have a look smile
I appreciate the honesty Dismal

Toffeelatteplease Sun 28-Jun-15 20:24:58

I don't think it would look weird. It's more or less what I have seen a lot of people wear if they work with kids in a swimming environment where they are in the pool

burnishedsilver Sun 28-Jun-15 20:26:27

It's fine to wear it but it will stand out as a bit different especially if it's an indoor pool. If it's an outdoor pool it will look like you don't want to get burned, which is fair enough.

alongcamespiders Sun 28-Jun-15 20:28:10

Someone linked me to an excellent shorts swimsuit earlier , really cheap, I'll try and find it and post the link.

alongcamespiders Sun 28-Jun-15 20:30:05

www.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-boyleg-swimsuit-ladies-354154
£6.49!

Samtheant Sun 28-Jun-15 20:34:20

That's very cheap!

Toffeelatteplease Sun 28-Jun-15 20:39:46

Ddhas used the children's version of those costumes. They are very good and exceptionally hard working!

Dismalfuckers Sun 28-Jun-15 20:50:30

I should say that I would never ever host a swimming party owing to feeling self conscious, so good on you.

Dismalfuckers Sun 28-Jun-15 20:53:01

Could you not just get a big sturdy wall to wall ladies costume? It will attract less attention than the ensemble you describe. No skirts, no shorts, just a big old swimsuit grin

Samtheant Sun 28-Jun-15 20:53:03

Thanks. The shorts bit is a bit short for me but I wonder if I'd look weird in a tri suit? (I'm joking!)
My clothing style is a bit "butch lesbian" and I think that's how a lot of people see me (although I'm not actually a butch lesbian) so that's sort of where I'm coming from.

Samtheant Sun 28-Jun-15 20:54:46

I'd feel very weird in a traditional ladies swimming costume, sorry to be awkward grin

Dismalfuckers Sun 28-Jun-15 20:56:38

tk maxx has loads

Dismalfuckers Sun 28-Jun-15 21:00:07

I should say, it's not that you are awkward, just that you asked if it would be ok, of course it's ok, but will attract attention and chat.

Probably doesn't/shouldn't matter, I just worry cos I am a self conscious person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now