Talk

Advanced search

Does Roaccutane work on back acne?

(13 Posts)
Pumpkinette Sat 27-Jun-15 06:23:33

I was going to crash the other acne thread that's going on at the moment but thought I would get more answers if I started my own thread.

Does Roaccutane work on back acne? I've spent the past 10 years suffering with back acne and after trying everything I can possibly think of I feel it's time to go to the doctor.

When I say everything that's many, many creams and body washes, used witch hazel etc, OTC creams, washed with hibiscrub, gone SLS free, use fragrance free washing powder, tried cutting out dairy, tried cutting out sugar, tried cutting out sweeteners, switched to organic meat and dairy, tried cutting out caffeine, started daily probiotic vitamins, I don't drink very often so I know it's not alcohol (although when I do drink I get a few chin spots). I've had a few courses of antibiotics for UTI's in the past but they have had no effect on the acne (maybe the wrong type of antibiotic?) I'm sure there I'd other things I've tried that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Would I have to put up with a string of rubbish treatments from the doctor before I would get considered for a dermatologist?

I know my acne is hormonal as the only time my skin had been remotely clear in the past decade was when I was pregnant. Come to think of it my acne only started after my 6 month stint on cerazette back when I was about 21.

Also if my Dr won't refer me how much does a private referral to a dermatologist cost (roughly)?

clearasmud Sat 27-Jun-15 09:35:21

Hi OP,

Yes. Roaccutane does work for back acne.

There are other options available too, though, before before going down the Roaccutane route. Before consulting a private dermo, research them thoroughly. The best deal with this regularly and their experience allows them to tailor the treatment to you specifically. Roaccutane is usually the last option.

Wrt anti-biotics taken previously, there are specific types prescribed for acne and usually they are just part of the treatment. In addition there might be a topical antibiotic (usually clindamycin), anti-fungal cream and topical steroid. Retin a cream can work wonders on acne. None of these in isolation usually clear up the acne but work together to sort it out and that's why a good, (acne) experienced dermo is a must.

sonata1 Sat 27-Jun-15 09:45:49

Yes it does but you would have to go through the other antibiotic tablets/lotions/treatments etc first before you were referred to a Derm /

lurkingaround Sat 27-Jun-15 10:00:14

Yes it will work.
The treatment ladder will depend on the severity. And because it's your back, lotions and potions are difficult. A decision to out you on Roaccutane won't be taken lightly, and maybe other treatments will work. But go to the GP and get the ball rolling.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sat 27-Jun-15 10:06:08

Roaccutane is brilliant. It's the only thing that permanently cleared up my acne. ABs worked, but acne always came back after I stopped taking them.
But Roaccutane isn't an easy drug to take. It makes your skin all over v v dry and flaky for quite some time while taking it, and some people experience depression while on it. And you MUST NOT get pregnant while using Roaccutane. It causes horrible deformities in the foetus.

I would still recommend it though. Have now been acne clear for ten years at least.

Pumpkinette Sat 27-Jun-15 16:19:59

I had a feeling I would have to go through other treatments first before it would be considered an option. Maybe something else will work before I get to that stage. I hope I don't get something similar the OTC topical creams that bleach your clothes and bedding (and made my skin worse)

I will book in to see the dr next week. My back isn't as bad at the moment as it can be - I've only got about 5 cystic spots and some normal ones. I consider this good skin now! I know this won't last, it never does, if a few weeks I will probobly have a complete break out again.

The thing that's been putting me off going to the Dr is that I don't want to be put in the pill again. I've tried a lot of different ones and thay have all made be gain weight, have migraines and have terrible mood swings. I now have the copper IUD and it's made a huge difference so I really don't want to take the pill again. Oh and to the pregnancy thing it's fine. I have one 5 year old DD and have no plans to have anymore children. I know the Roaccutane makes you very sensitive to UV rays but as a natural redhead I'm used having to use SPF 50 if there's even a hint of sunshine so that shouldn't be a problem.

How long are treatment plans before they decide it's not working and try something else? I currently give anything new 3-6 months before trying the next thing.

lurkingaround Sat 27-Jun-15 19:02:56

Ferns usually like to give each trial of treatment a few months befor moving up the ladder. But it varies a lot. Esp with cystic acne, mainly because it scars.
If you don't want the pill, you can say no thank you.
See what your GP says. I always think it's a good idea with cystic acne to get a referral early, because heaven knows how long the waiting list is. And with cystic acne, and possible Roaccutane therapy, consultant derm opinion is a necessity. You can always cancel the appt if you're miraculously cured!

lurkingaround Sat 27-Jun-15 19:04:19

Ferns??? I mean derms (dermatologists)

Dagnam my sloppy proof-reading

whataboutbob Sat 27-Jun-15 20:03:55

I used Duac (an antibiotic cream) for my bacne last summer and wore a low back dress at Glyndebourne 8 weeks later. Result! However, it's all crept back and so i need to start a new treatment this year.

TrickyTreeLou Sun 28-Jun-15 08:58:22

I took 3 courses of Roaccurane in my 20s, each time the acne came back but to a lesser degree. My acne was preominantly on my back/shoulders and chest. ABs did work to keep my face clear, but nothing worked for the ones on my back.

Roaccutance did. It was great. I went private for the 2nd course. It was expensive - ish (I think overall the consultations and medication cost me about £800), but worth it in my opinion. Though that was over 10 years ago so would probably cost much more now!

My skin isn't great, but the acne on my back has never come back.

bgottalent Sun 28-Jun-15 15:50:37

Ruaccutane definitely works on backs. My daughter was prescribed it and it was miraculous. However you will be expected take the pill at the same time because of risks to the foetus if you become pregnant while on it.

Pumpkinette Sun 28-Jun-15 16:59:42

Would they expect me to take the pill even though I have an IUD?(Technically the IUD has a higher success rate than the pill)
I would rather put up with the acne than go back on the pill TBH.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Tue 30-Jun-15 17:58:04

No. They just need to be certain you will not get pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now