Talk

Advanced search

Hot day funeral footwear - tights or no tights?

(20 Posts)
gunnsgirl Fri 26-Jun-15 21:13:59

Apparently warm weather set to continue. I'm off to a long distance funeral on Tuesday. I'm quite happy with my black lace dress, but unsure about the whole tights / shoes or no tights / sandals thing.

It doesn't really seem right to go bare legged although it's going to be warm. If I wear tights, what kind of shoes would I wear. Anyone any ideas / links as I'm not sure I have anything really suitable as I've lived in ballet flats / opaque tights and boots for as long as I can remember.

I've a 3.5 hr journey each way so comfort is a must, but stumped. Tights and shoes or no tights and sandals.

What do my stylish / knowledgeable friends here think?

MrsJackAubrey Fri 26-Jun-15 21:15:42

Trousers

CherylBerylMeryl Fri 26-Jun-15 21:17:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Penfold007 Fri 26-Jun-15 21:18:01

Been to a rather warm funeral today, settled for black trousers, a suitable top and ballet pumps without tights or socks and had a 3.5 hour drive to get there. I'd say it depends on how long the dress is, could you put tights on in the car or at the services nearest the location?

Cocolepew Fri 26-Jun-15 21:18:05

I was a a funeral a couple of summers sgo and went bare legged, nearly all the women did. My skirt came just below my knees.

caitlinohara Fri 26-Jun-15 21:18:25

You can get cooling tights - I wore them for a wedding and they were pretty good.

Bakeoffcake Fri 26-Jun-15 21:22:10

I've worn bare legs at a funeral, although my dress was below the knee.

As the funeral was unfortunately for a young person it was very informal anyway.

CointreauVersial Fri 26-Jun-15 21:27:07

No tights. As long as your skirt is a respectable length.

MegMurry Fri 26-Jun-15 21:28:34

Really, it's not 1940. Bare legs are fine.

gunnsgirl Fri 26-Jun-15 21:33:27

Wow that was quick. Thanks ladies.

I'm not in the habit of going to funerals and was unsure of what may be frowned upon as disrespectful being that there's going to be a lot of elderly people attending.

Dress length is a respectable length, touching knee. Great, no tights it is then. They're not really practical on hot sticky days.

FraggleHair Fri 26-Jun-15 22:55:46

Bare legs are absolutely fine with a knee length hem.

SanityClause Fri 26-Jun-15 22:58:15

If you are in the UK, there are no days on which it is too hot to wear tights.

calzone Fri 26-Jun-15 23:00:17

No tights.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 26-Jun-15 23:56:25

I wouldn't wear rights in 30 degree heat!

Bare legs are fine.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 27-Jun-15 00:00:02

Tights

Elysianfields Sat 27-Jun-15 00:12:43

tights and shoes - but I wouldnt travel in them, I would take them with me and change in the nearest shopping centre loos.

gunnsgirl Sat 27-Jun-15 07:51:10

Going for the no tights and comfortable sandals.

Don't have time for shopping centre loos. I'll be lucky to get to funeral on time being it's one bus, one train, one tube, two trains and a cab ride. Most of which in rush hour journey time.

squizita Sat 27-Jun-15 10:17:45

I'd use hold ups (I know not everyone gets on with them though) or wide cotton trousers.

Woofsaidtheladybird Sat 27-Jun-15 10:28:23

I'm with squizita on the hold ups front.

BIL's funeral 2 years ago was early July and roasting. I wore hold ups then - my dress was knee length.

Bakeoffcake Sat 27-Jun-15 12:28:15

Gosh your journey sounds horrendous on a hot day. Definitely no tights in those circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now