Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Radley Bags - are they worth it?

(50 Posts)
40thisisit Fri 26-Jun-15 20:12:59

Have never ever spent more than £20 on a handbag. Now at the grand old age of nearly 43 feel I need to own a designer one. Keep on receiving sale e-mails from Radley........ are they worth it??

NeverHadHaveHas Fri 26-Jun-15 20:17:47

I wouldn't say Radley is designer by a long chalk. I think it's considered fairly naff by MN standards, along the lines of Cath Kidson etc

missmargot Fri 26-Jun-15 20:21:20

Honestly I wouldn't count them as a designer bag. The quality is ok but I can't understand the little dog thing and I think there are much nicer bags for the money.

NiceAcorns Fri 26-Jun-15 20:22:01

I love them! Love the picture ones - I use them on special occasions & match the pic to the occasion

chanie44 Fri 26-Jun-15 20:23:12

I now people on here don't like them , but I think there is nothing wrong with them and of you like it, you should go for it.

I have a Easley travel card holder and a bag I bought whilst pregnant with ds (5) and they are both well made.

chanie44 Fri 26-Jun-15 20:23:28

Easley I mean radley

noisytoys Fri 26-Jun-15 20:40:04

I have a Radley bag that has been used pretty much daily since DD1 was born. She's 7 now. I'm getting a bit bored of it but can't justify buying another because it's in such good condition still.

momb Fri 26-Jun-15 20:43:12

I have a non-picture Radley bag that I used every day including commuting for about 5 years. It's pretty worn and grubby but no fabric has worn away, no seams have gone and apart from scuffs from mistreatment the leather looks fine. Even though I no longer use it I can't let it go because it's still basically OK.
I think the quality is very good for the price and the D+G I replaced it with was knackered in less than a year.

RJnomore Fri 26-Jun-15 20:46:07

I have quite a few and they're nice quality. Not designer though! But I just think £200 is more than enough for a handbag - I can't believe the price of some of them.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 26-Jun-15 20:51:29

MN is so sneery towards Radley when in fact just about everyone I know wants one or already has onehmm

They are great quality and last forever.

I have 2, the Grosvener and an across the body one. I expect to get at least 10 years out of each if not more and they keep their value on eBay as people always want them.

BlueEyedWonder Fri 26-Jun-15 21:34:47

I don't get the mumsnet snobbery about Radley.
They are good mid price bags and are good quality.
I prefer the styles that come without a dog tag. I have the tan grosvenor across body and love it. I'm currently pondering a navy doctor style one I saw in John Lewis.

MegMurry Fri 26-Jun-15 21:38:19

Sorry, but imo Radley are a bit naff - especially if you're under 60. Definitely not a designer bag.

Both my mum and mil like them, so I tend to think they're for 60 plus to wear with cropped trousers.

Saurus72 Fri 26-Jun-15 22:21:17

If you just want a good quality leather bag, not designer, Jaeger has lovely ones and there are some great deals in the sale.

dingit Fri 26-Jun-15 22:22:51

Mine arrived today smile half price in sale, so £89

SinglePringle Fri 26-Jun-15 22:32:21

Not a fan. Think they're dull dressed up as imaginative.

pinkfrocks Fri 26-Jun-15 22:40:47

oh my goodness, they are just bags. Having one under the age of 60 is not a crime and it's quite insulting to suggest it is.

carrie74 Fri 26-Jun-15 22:44:38

I liked them when I was younger, and always found them to be well made, and well-laid out (good number of pockets and compartments and good sizing), but discovered Mulberrys and had a love affair with them for 15 years. Then at Christmas I got a Grosvenor (the one that has the long strap and the grab handles), and I think it's great. I'm less keen on the "standard issue" Radleys, but I have to say I think the quality of the brand as a whole is excellent.

pixiestix Fri 26-Jun-15 22:45:45

They are really good quality and they last and last. Go for it!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 26-Jun-15 23:08:32

What bags do you like Meg?

ChablisTyrant Fri 26-Jun-15 23:26:59

I've got a black radley bag for work and it's a decade old. Still in fantastic condition.

JaceLancs Fri 26-Jun-15 23:30:51

I have had radley bags for years but went off the styling recently
Tried jigsaw which were terrible quality wise
Mint velvet have been ok but sometimes a bit too much detail for me
Currently I have 2 jaeger bags a tan one and a black one, also a pale grey autograph from M + S

FraggleHair Sat 27-Jun-15 01:24:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FraggleHair Sat 27-Jun-15 01:29:36

I'm not a fan either.

But they're only bags. If you love them you love them but there's no need to get so defensive.

kickassangel Sat 27-Jun-15 03:36:14

I like the number and arrangement of the pockets and compartments. I had a fairly cheap one and it lasted for years and years, as did the purse I had.

Never had anything more expensive, but I was impressed with the quality.

eurochick Sat 27-Jun-15 04:22:05

That little dog makes me feel stabby. I have no idea why I have such a strong reaction to it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: